• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So essentially they behaved as the mirror image of FB and Twitter and got shut down, yet FB and Twitter continue to function. Got it.

Except FB and twitter will absolutely remove violent speech when made aware of it. Parler didn't.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Except FB and twitter will absolutely remove violent speech when made aware of it. Parler didn't.

They do?

Let's see...advocating a violent end of Israel:
    https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1323577847580164096

Supporting violence against nations who practice freedom of speech:
    https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1323570498127699968

Still denying that the Holocaust ever occurred, that's always a classic:
    https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1321494146989907969

"Bitter consequences" hmm...I wonder what that could mean?
    https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1288447147256492034

Took 5 minutes to dig up these gems.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    How do you derive that? Facts?

A root user can override any so-called admin of the page. Admin is just a user in this context.

Please elaborate

I derive it by looking at the vcdl Facebook page. I even screenshot it for you to see yourself. The whole page is still there, you just can't post on it now.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I rarely do FB. I only have an account due to my daughters wrestling teams.
    That said, I check this morning and get a friend request from a hooker. Some big nasty thing who's ass looked like 2 bull dogs fighting in a sac. No idea why I would get that. I don't do or look at that crap.
    They allow overt advertising for illegal activities, but boot VCDL. This is why I don't do social media unless I absolutely have to.

chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia
    Unfortunately with the current climate nothing will change here. In my opinion any changes that do happen will come from countries/groups from outside the U.S.

mangleu

Jan 29, 2020
    Just got this message from Maryland Shall Issue
    https://freebeacon.com/guns/facebook-bans-second-amendment-group-without-explanation/

Facebook Bans Second Amendment Group Without Explanation
    The Virginia Citizens Defense League says it's gotten no accounting of move from tech giant
    Stephen GutowskiFebruary 2, 2021 6:40 PM
    GunsA VCDL bus in Richmond, Virginia on January 18, 2021 / Facebook
    A top Virginia gun-rights group was booted from Facebook without explanation on Tuesday, a move the tech giant confirmed but refused to explain.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, told the Washington Free Beacon that the group's page disappeared without explanation. The company said the decision to remove the page is final—but did not provide further details.

"This was correctly actioned and we will not be republishing," Facebook spokeswoman Kristen Morea said. She declined to elaborate on the decision.

Van Cleave said the group used its Facebook page exclusively to communicate with its members as well as organize electoral and legislative efforts. The group's page helped raise awareness of Gov. Ralph Northam's (D.) controversial gun-control agenda in 2020 and mobilized activists to help block some Democratic proposals. The league also took to social media to spread the word about COVID guidelines in the months leading up to a peaceful driving demonstration in Richmond on January 18. Van Cleave said the ban deprives the league of such capabilities in the future.

Facebook's decision to pull the league without explanation may signal trouble for other mainstream gun-rights groups and ignite new scrutiny of the company's opaque moderation practices. The company has come under fire before for its ad hoc approach to content moderation, with critics alleging that it plays politics and arbitrarily silences conservative voices. Van Cleave, for one, says that's what he believes and that Facebook's move against his group foreshadows the deplatforming of other Second Amendment Groups.

"If they did this to us, it's just a matter of time," he told the Free Beacon. "I think we're a high-profile group and that's why we got singled out. Those who aren't as high profile as we are, I'm sure they're on the chopping block next."

This is not the first time Facebook has targeted the gun group. At the end of January, it booted the group before later restoring its page—also without explanation.

At the time, Morea blamed the removal on an "error" and apologized. Facebook went on to suspend the personal accounts of the group's leaders, including Van Cleave. Facebook did not offer any explanation about any posts that had violated Facebook policy. After Facebook briefly lifted the January suspensions, Van Cleave's personal account was again shut down, he said Tuesday.

Morea told the Free Beacon in January that Facebook would not offer more details on Van Cleave's initial suspension due to a "very real and credible threat that people can game the system" if they understand how it works. She directed the Free Beacon to a Facebook press release on its moderation policies referencing the Capitol riot.

Van Cleave said neither he nor the group has ever advocated for violence or been involved with protesting the results of the 2020 election. He said the lack of clarity from Facebook suggests that the ban is "political" and may soon expand to other gun groups.

"It's just a yo-yo effect: Apologize. Put it up. Take it down," Van Cleave said. "It sounds like it's just the politics they don't like."

Here's to hoping it was a blanket removal and they correct the action. Otherwise we really will have to do a grassroots movement as it gets harder online to present our message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom