• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    inexpensive turkish but I still want it to function properly. Do you clean and then dry or clean and heavily lube. Do you do the action a couple hundred times. What else. thank you

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I typically just shoot them.

But, you can clean, the lube in accordance with instructions.

Some have places that you should NOT lube.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    wipe everything down with a cloth for excess gunk. Inside and out.
    Swab barrel dry patch.
    Semi or Pump?
    a bit of oil on clean rag/patch and then on the action/extractors.
    Maybe run a swab with light oil down the barrel.
    Load her up and let her rip.
    While playing set up a large sheet of cardboard @25 yds and see how she patterns. draw 30" circles.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For my Tristar Raptor, I pulled the gas system (piston, rings, bolt carrier, etc) from the forend and the bolt as well. Gave everything a good wipe down with cleaning solvent on a soft rag, then lightly oiled per instructions and slapped it all back together It's run beautifully with only minimal cleaning ever since.

The reason it's a good idea to clean it is to get any remaining cutting/tooling oil off of everything as it is much more viscous and sticky (to help it cling to the tooling as things are being cut) and can slow down and gum up the action if you don't get it off of there. There wasn't any residue on my Tristar, but there was a bunch on my AR's BCG which was from a reputable US manufacturer, you just never know.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I ALWAYS disassemble, clean, and re-lube new guns before shooting. I've found some crazy stuff in a few that could have caused massive damage had I just taken it out and fired it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Used to go to walmart and by the cheap loads in the 100 box and run the entire thing. I did it but didn't notice the difference.

I got the russian Baikal and it shoot fine until I let it get dry. Silicone spray on the bolt and the piston slide. If not it sticks and will not cycle. It shoots better dirty than dry and it seems to dry just from being shot.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I disassembled my VR80, made sure all assembly lube was cleaned off, then lubed lightly as in directions and proceeded to break in with 20-30 rounds of 00 Buckshot....I kept checking after every 5 rounds to see if it would cycle standard #7.5 shot for 3-Gun. After 25 rounds, it would reliably cycle the #7.5

Then just standard cleaning to make sure barrel was not clogged, and cleaning the gas piston areas after every other match to ensure reliablility

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    What is this 'gas port' thing I hear about? Where is it located? :D
    2VE6VSESVSNSDT2TKVSN5OTRPA.png

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Only for familiarity, I’d field strip it wipe with some oil and a rag. Reassemble and manually cycle a few times. Safety location and function, verify the choke tube is set proper (if it had tubes). General familiarity with the new gun.

Ready for the range. And that’s just cause i feel more comfortable knowing how to handle any gun I own. Especially new.

If the manual made any specific recommendations before first use, I’d do those too. If not. Let’s shoot.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am still trying to get through the OP. I have been shooting shotguns for almost 45 years now. I have bought several over the years. First a Browning and then everything after that Beretta and Benelli. I have never "broken in" a shotgun. Maybe a couple have had some sort of protective coating on them that I needed to use a little Hoppes on, but nothing significant where I tore down the shotgun and cleaned everything out. Pretty much they come out of the box and I start shooting clays or hunting with them. However, maybe the Turkish guns are dipped in cosmoline, vaseline, or something else before they are shipped. If that is the case, then thoroughly clean it and then have fun with it. Never heard of having to shoot a couple hundred shells out of a gun to break it in, but follow the manufacturer's directions in that regard.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I am still trying to get through the OP. I have been shooting shotguns for almost 45 years now. I have bought several over the years. First a Browning and then everything after that Beretta and Benelli. I have never "broken in" a shotgun. Maybe a couple have had some sort of protective coating on them that I needed to use a little Hoppes on, but nothing significant where I tore down the shotgun and cleaned everything out. Pretty much they come out of the box and I start shooting clays or hunting with them. However, maybe the Turkish guns are dipped in cosmoline, vaseline, or something else before they are shipped. If that is the case, then thoroughly clean it and then have fun with it. Never heard of having to shoot a couple hundred shells out of a gun to break it in, but follow the manufacturer's directions in that regard.

Cutting oil residue which is quite sticky is frequently the issue with inexpensive firearms out of Turkey that haven't had a wipe-down prior to their first use. But that's about it. I took my Tristar Raptor (Turkish gun) out of the box the night I bought it, wiped down the bolt and carrier assembly with some solvent, gave it a quick shot of rem-oil, a dry-wipe, and then took it duck and goose hunting the very next morning with no issues. There was definitely cutting oil residue on the bolt though which would have potentially gummed up the action.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    Try some Winchester AA in 1300 fps. If it doesn't cycle with those something else is wrong. Worked magic on my new A5 which won't cycle cheap Walmart ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom