• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A Canadian judge has ruled that families of victims of a crime in which the murderer happened to use a Smith & Wesson firearm may proceed with a class action suit against the manufacturer. Because the weapon didn't have "smart gun" technology that would have prevented the murder.

From the beginning of the WSJ story:

TORONTO—A Canadian court ruled Friday that victims of a 2018 shooting in Toronto have a viable legal claim of negligence against gun maker Smith & Wesson Corp. for failing provide safeguards on the gun used by the shooter.

Judge Paul Perell of the Superior Court of Ontario said in the ruling that a stolen Smith & Wesson handgun used by the shooter didn’t include available smart gun technology that restricts use to authorized individuals. Such a lapse, he said, is sufficient grounds for the families to proceed with their class action.

Canadian law requires judges to certify that class actions have a reasonable chance of success before they can proceed. The ruling clears the way for the case to continue.

“The immediate case may demonstrate that there came a time when it was careless for Smith & Wesson not to utilize invented authorized user technology, of which there were many types, some of which Smith & Wesson invented and patented,” Judge Perell said in his decision.

More death-by-a-thousand-legal-expense-cuts. I wonder if any agencies or military units in Canada use S&W products? They're all armed with something. They should chime in and mention to the court that if S&W loses this fight, no sane manufacturer will ever sell to the Mounties or the Royal Canadian Fighting Military Guys or anyone else in the country, ever again. Because why on earth would they.

Expect the ongoing fight over this same topic in the US to get only worse as this plays out.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    What year was the firearm made? Can S&W sue the owner of the firearm for not installing "smart gun" technology? Better yet, sue Canada for not requiring "smart gun" technology in all owned handguns?

It won't stop.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The same people who push "smart" tech probably complain about their computers and cell phones "not working" correctly and lived with blinking "12:00 am" displays on their VCRs for the life of the product. In other words - they know not what the preach.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    The same people who push "smart" tech probably complain about their computers and cell phones "not working" correctly and lived with blinking "12:00 am" displays on their VCRs for the life of the product. In other words - they know not what the preach.

This. Firearms will be the last true example of mechanical reliability.

I work in Nuclear Power - there is a reason that so much of a nuclear power plant's control room is still panel after panel of hard relays and switches built in the 70s - only recently have computers become even remotely reliable enough to trust with matters of safety. (Even then, at my last plant and my present plant, computers were only trusted for non-safety systems like Feedwater and the Turbine. The safety-related methods of putting water in the core were all still analog trip-units and hard relays.)

As for suing a gun company for the actions of a criminal - why not sue all the car companies and alcohol producers for drunk drivers? Thinking along the lines of "safety features" - neither my Corvette nor my wife's new Camaro have blind spot monitoring nor even blind spot mirrors. (Which they both badly need and I added.) - Should Canadians sue the life out of GM for failing to include those safety features?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I guess this paves the way to sue a car company because it COULD have installed on ALL models smart technology to stop a car before hitting another car or pedestrian.
    This is more plausible because the technology for this actually exists.

At what point should these judges be "picketed" for such Krazyness?

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Does this also mean we can start suing people just for being stupid? I'd gladly sit for the bar exam if that were actually a reality.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Canadian law requires judges to certify that class actions have a reasonable chance of success before they can proceed. The ruling clears the way for the case to continue.

“The immediate case may demonstrate that there came a time when it was careless for Smith & Wesson not to utilize invented authorized user technology, of which there were many types, some of which Smith & Wesson invented and patented,” Judge Perell said in his decision.:sad20:

Other than the Hillary Hole (and IDK if that's smart technology) what smart technology did S&W invent? That stupid cell phone firearms lock IIRC was another company. And as others have pointed out, I'm not about to rely on tech.

This stuff really disgusts me; death by a thousand cuts, indeed:mad54:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This. Firearms will be the last true example of mechanical reliability.

I work in Nuclear Power - there is a reason that so much of a nuclear power plant's control room is still panel after panel of hard relays and switches built in the 70s - only recently have computers become even remotely reliable enough to trust with matters of safety. (Even then, at my last plant and my present plant, computers were only trusted for non-safety systems like Feedwater and the Turbine. The safety-related methods of putting water in the core were all still analog trip-units and hard relays.)

As for suing a gun company for the actions of a criminal - why not sue all the car companies and alcohol producers for drunk drivers? Thinking along the lines of "safety features" - neither my Corvette nor my wife's new Camaro have blind spot monitoring nor even blind spot mirrors. (Which they both badly need and I added.) - Should Canadians sue the life out of GM for failing to include those safety features?

That reminds me of this podcast I occasionally listen to. This episode is about malware put on switch control devices at a Saudi Arabian chemical plant.

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/68/

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    This chit was allowed to happen by liberal Judges long ago so now its common place it seems. A real human being with half a brain would not allow this nonsense. Should be thrown out before it ever gets started. Im going to sue my local sub shop I thing and the roll supplier for giving me a belly and high blood pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom