SAF Sues New York City over Handgun Fees!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    A bit of movement in Kwong v. Bloomberg (NYC case to challenge the exhorbitant fees for handgun possession in the home). The Docket is here.

You should see (or see shortly), the original complaint (#1), the Cities answer (#11), the States answer (#12) and the MSJ for the Plaintiff (#14). What follows is the TOC from the MSJ, just so you can get a feel for the issues and how the plaintiffs are attacking the licensing fees of NYC.

LAWS AT ISSUE
    A) Under State Law, Private Citizens Need Licenses to Possess Handguns in Their Homes
    B) Article 400 of the Penal Law Governs Handgun Licenses Throughout All of New York State
    C) State Law Limits Localities from Imposing a License Fee of More than $10, But Exempts New York City Residents
    D) The $340 Fee is Not Calculated to Defray Administrative Costs
    E) New York City’s $340 Fee Far Exceeds the Fees of Other Jurisdictions​
    POINT I: THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS IS A FUNDAMENTAL CIVIL RIGHT AND APPLIES “MOST NOTABLY” IN THE HOME
    A) The Second Amendment Protects a Personal Right to Keep Firearms, Including Handguns
    B) The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a Fundamental Constitutional Right
    C) The Right to Keep and Bear Arms has its Zenith in the Home
    D) Familiar Principles of Constitutional Review Supply the Rules of Scrutiny​
    POINT II: NEW YORK CITY’S $340 FEE IS PROHIBITIVE AND DOES NOT SERVE TO DEFRAY ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS
    A) Qualified Individuals are Entitled to Obtain Licenses
    B) The City Can Only Impose a Nominal Fee that Serves to Defray Attendant Administrative Cost
    C) The City’s $340 Fee is Inherently Prohibitive
    D) The City’s $340 Fee is Not a Permissible License Fee​
    POINT III: PENAL LAW § 400.00(14) DENIES EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAW TO RESIDENTS OF NEW YORK CITY
    A) The Scope, Severity, and Purpose of the Burden Determine the Level of Scrutiny
    B) The Equal Protection Clause Invalidates § 400(14)’s Disparate Burden​

The opening paragraph sums it up quite nicely:

New York City’s $340 fee for a 3-year “Residence Premises” handgun license far exceeds the fee charged by any other U.S. jurisdiction for comparable licensure. Even within the State of New York, most other residents pay no more than $10 for a handgun license – but State law exempts residents of New York City from this protection, instead authorizing the City to impose fees without limit. The only apparent purpose for this disparate State-law treatment is to permit the City to use prohibitive license fees to discourage people from exercising their constitutional right to keep and bear arms. However, the purpose of suppressing the exercise of a constitutional right is no legitimate purpose at all. New York City’s $340 fee is unconstitutionally excessive in its own right, and the New York State law that exempts City residents from its protection against prohibitive fees violates the Equal Protection Clause.

As we all should know, Mayor Bloomberg attempted to get the fees realigned after the decision in McDonald but the City Council refused. So now we have this case.

The MSJ is written very well and attacks not only the cities fees, but through the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th, the States exemption of the City to its otherwise "reasonable" fee structure.

It will be interesting to see how the responses go.

Attachments

• gov.uscourts.nysd.377535.14.0.pdf
      169.2 KB · Views: 125

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    NJ/NY-Die hard anti-gun indoctrination.

MD/Chicago-Power hungry politicians serving their own motives.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The City Can Only Impose a Nominal Fee that Serves to Defray Attendant Administrative Cost

Proving that point is going to prove exceptionally important to us going forward.

Exceptionally important, for reasons having nothing to do with permit fees.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I really wish they'd left out the "in the home" nonsense. Every time we accidentally repeat it or anyone else repeats it, it just gets nailed in further and is going to be harder to rip out.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    This just in:
    SAF Files For Summary Judgment Against Bloomberg

We are really excited and you should be too!

Today SAF filed our Motion for Summary Judgment against Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the City of New York in our lawsuit challenging the outrageous fees they charge you just to own a gun in your own home.

IT IS WRONG TO FORCE PEOPLE PAY WHAT AMOUNTS TO A PROHIBITIVE "POLL TAX" JUST TO EXERCISE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

This is why the Second Amendment Foundation filed this suit in the first place.

We will not allow gun grabbers like Mayor Bloomberg and his political cohorts to infringe on our Second Amendment rights.

You can read this important Summary Judgment Motion that we posted on our website by clicking: http://saf.org/legal.action/nyc.fees.lawsuit/motionsummaryjudgment.pdf

For a listing of all of our gun rights litigation visit www.saf.org and while you are there please make donation to help support our important work that is winning firearms freedom one lawsuit at a time.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    This just in:

"For a listing of all of our gun rights litigation visit www.saf.org and while you are there please make a donation to help support our important work that is winning firearms freedom one lawsuit at a time. "

Let me translate. NYC charging raping you just to keep a gun at home for HD...Enough!

2nd translation:
    Donate....help support this important work that is winning firearms freedom one lawsuit at a time...

We ARE winning...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    SAF press release:
    saf-alertsA.gif

saf-alertsD.gif

SAF Files For Summary Judgment Against Bloomberg

We are really excited and you should be too!

Today SAF filed our Motion for Summary Judgment against Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the City of New York in our lawsuit challenging the outrageous fees they charge you just to own a gun in your own home.

IT IS WRONG TO FORCE PEOPLE PAY WHAT AMOUNTS TO A PROHIBITIVE "POLL TAX" JUST TO EXERCISE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

This is why the Second Amendment Foundation filed this suit in the first place.

We will not allow gun grabbers like Mayor Bloomberg and his political cohorts to infringe on our Second Amendment rights.

You can read this important Summary Judgment Motion that we posted on our website by clicking: http://saf.org/legal.action/nyc.fees.lawsuit/motionsummaryjudgment.pdf

For a listing of all of our gun rights litigation visit www.saf.org and while you are there please make donation to help support our important work that is winning firearms freedom one lawsuit at a time.

Sincerely yours,
    alansig.jpg

Alan M. Gottlieb
    Founder
    Second Amendment Foundation

< Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family > Copyright © 2011 Second Amendment Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
    Second Amendment Foundation
    James Madison Building
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005 Voice: 425-454-7012
    Toll Free: 800-426-4302
    FAX: 425-451-3959
    email: InformationRequest@saf.org

To stop receiving these alerts, send an email to subscriptions@liberty.seanet.com with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line. This email was sent to sjwinokur@gmail.com.
    To ensure your alerts are delivered to your inbox (and not inadvertently diverted to a bulk or junk email folder by spam filters), be sure to add saf_alerts@liberty.seanet.com to your email address book or contact list.

cleardot.gif

Last edited:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The Motion for Summary Judgment is about the most slam-dunk argument you can make for a case against restrictive anti-gun laws. Seriously, I see no way for NYC to counter it other than crying about "public safety" and the value of the police pension fund. I'd like to see them bring the pension fund into this - it would prove the point as good as anything Jensen writes.

I really wish they'd left out the "in the home" nonsense. Every time we accidentally repeat it or anyone else repeats it, it just gets nailed in further and is going to be harder to rip out.

When someone hands you an exceptionally sharp scalpel, you use it - even if you wish you had a sword.

I feel the same as you when it comes to the topic - I hate to hear that so-called limitation uttered in any context. But in this case, even the most restrictive view of Heller demonstrates that NYC is plainly out of constitutional bounds. Narrowing the argument to the very definition used by those who would oppose us eliminates significant arguments for the defense. That means fewer distractions for the court.

Just so we all know where this is eventually going:

SAF/Jensen MSJ said:
    Consistent with this theme, States and localities may not impose any fees on the exercise of the rights to vote, publish, and speak on public sidewalks. ... Yet, it could hardly be denied that one’s decision to engage in these activities imposes costs on society at large – such as the costs of operating polling stations, removing litter, and providing crowd control. Just the same, States and localities may not impose user fees on indigents who lack the ability to pay them. ... But again, there is no doubt that appeals, political campaigns, and divorce proceedings impose significant costs on society.​

This was an aside in the motion, but telling of where we are going in the near future. Right now we are setting the ceiling on permit fees nationwide. This fight has barely begun, and the SAF is shutting it down cold before it gets hot. Places like Maryland are going to want to restrict the right to bear arms, and other in this board have theorized that an impermissibly high fee would be one of their answers.

Jensen makes clear that any fee that is greater than reasonable administrative costs would fail the constitutional test, and then - as you can see above - he hints that even those fees are impermissible. He leaves that fight for another day, but includes the argument so he can maintain it as it climbs the judicial ladder (exceptionally smart).

Dismantling the fee structures used in the USA to restrict the fundamental right is going to take time. New York City and Bloomberg were nice enough to tee up this ball for us. It is a slam dunk. Seriously. Even Bloomy knows it (while the fees were introduces at his request, the council later ignored his pleas to reduce them after McDonald).

All that said, you never know what will come out of some district courts these days. But I doubt it will lose in even the lower court, but can pretty much guarantee it won't make it past the Circuit. Too obvious.

Will NYC appeal a loss? Only if they are dumb.

This sets the ceiling on price. We are obviously aiming for the floor - zero cost and no permits required. We stand a decent shot of getting there, too.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can any fee imposed on a fundamental right, especially one as basic as the ability to protect your family in your home, pass Constitutional muster? I don't even see how a $10 fee to keep a firearm in the home is Constitutional.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" -Thomas Jefferson

If you don't have $10 bucks, you are debarred the use of arms.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can any fee imposed on a fundamental right, especially one as basic as the ability to protect your family in your home, pass Constitutional muster? I don't even see how a $10 fee to keep a firearm in the home is Constitutional.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" -Thomas Jefferson

If you don't have $10 bucks, you are debarred the use of arms.

teratos, I'm with you.

The argument can be, it costs $10 to make sure John Q Public is a law abiding citizen with some sort of instant background investigation, and the permit would last 5 years. Thus the annual cost is $2.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    teratos, I'm with you.

The argument can be, it costs $10 to make sure John Q Public is a law abiding citizen with some sort of instant background investigation, and the permit would last 5 years. Thus the annual cost is $2.

I have to disagree, being "innocent until proven guilty" means that they cannot make you pay to prove you are innocent. They (the government) must prove you guilty, and that cost is on them.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have to disagree, being "innocent until proven guilty" means that they cannot make you pay to prove you are innocent. They (the government) must prove you guilty, and that cost is on them.

We are currently taxed on Firearms, ammunition, bows, and or arrows through the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937. Which is an 11% excise tax for conservation.

It's fathomable that the GCA of 1936, will eventually be repealed in time.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Couldn't the argument be made that the costs of running a background check are already covered by those taxes/whatever that support the state police and courts, who are responsible for this information to begin with? Same question for the Feds.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The "In the Home" was of course preceded by "most notably". NYC obviously can't argue you don't have a fundamental right to keep a handgun in your home, and the other courts even with their lame decisions acknowledge this much at least.
    I'd also like NYC to justify the fees by pointing to police pensions(which aren't fundamental rights) or simply admit the purpose is to frustrate people(which won't even get by a hardcore anti-gun judge). There's just no wiggle room for them. I don't know if the Mayor has any power to settle the case, which would be a smart thing for them to do quickly.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    krucam you may want to edit your post because I think the mods are trying to get rid of any quotes or stuff from articles. I doubt these people would care since its pro 2a, but I'd watch. Is it me or is SAF really taking the reigns and leaving the NRA in the dust?

MD=What 2nd Amendment?

S&W Fanboy. I admit it.
    Jun 3, 2011
    Allegany County
    Is it me or is SAF really taking the reigns and leaving the NRA in the dust?

The NRA still does an extreme amount of lobbying and still fights cases in court at a consistant pace. It just seems right now that the most important cases are strategically being played out by SAF.

Maybe the SAF called the NRA and said hey stop slamming guns guns guns down the legislatures throats. We are gonna sneak in the back way. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom