• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    HoCo park rangers are frequently at AGC shooting suppressed .308 win’s they use for deer eradication. Sounds there’s a deer problem in that Co that would benefit from additional bow hunting.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    HoCo park rangers are frequently at AGC shooting suppressed .308 win’s they use for deer eradication. Sounds there’s a deer problem in that Co that would benefit from additional bow hunting.

More bow hunting, longer ML seasons, longer firearms season, Sunday hunting, and allowing rifles (at least some calibers) in western hoco would all help.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    More bow hunting, longer ML seasons, longer firearms season, Sunday hunting, and allowing rifles (at least some calibers) in western hoco would all help.

Though I’d like and want all that, I doubt allowing rifles would do much. Rifles shotgun with sabots is just as effective out to the ranges most can hunt unless it’s a big farm.

But the rest should help. Saw maybe 50 of them out grazing over a mile and a half in the neighborhood down to the river at 6pm two evenings ago.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would like to have it all, but I think getting the archery limits and maybe Sunday hunting would be about all one can hope for now.

I'm just waiting for the feral hogs to get into Columbia/Bethesda to watch them lose their libtard minds about what to do once its too late.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Though I’d like and want all that, I doubt allowing rifles would do much. Rifles shotgun with sabots is just as effective out to the ranges most can hunt unless it’s a big farm.

But the rest should help. Saw maybe 50 of them out grazing over a mile and a half in the neighborhood down to the river at 6pm two evenings ago.

There is a lot of property in the west end of the county that would benefit from rifle hunting. The suggested max range for a slug gun is 75-100 yards. A good .30-30 would double that range, a 7mm mag would quadruple it, and a .308 or 30-06 would give you 10x the range over the shotgun.
    One square acre is about 69 yards per side. If you shoot across that diagonally (97 yards) you are pushing the limits of a slug gun. The way my 20 acre property is laid out, I could take safe shots near the effective limit of a .308 or 30-06. Even if they restricted calibers to certain acre requirements, on private property only, or even rifles for does only you could easily increase the harvest numbers.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    What I would like to see is approval of rifle hunting with straight walled cartridges, as they do in the midwest. Really, cartridges capable of not more than 2000fps, about what high end slugs achieve, should be approved for rifle.

If shotgun slugs are ok in a suburban environment, so is 357 magnum and the like.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Step 1, de throne Calvin Ball. Get the anti redistricting clan on board with you. His removal from authority is the first step to solving problems in HoCo.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There is a lot of property in the west end of the county that would benefit from rifle hunting. The suggested max range for a slug gun is 75-100 yards. A good .30-30 would double that range, a 7mm mag would quadruple it, and a .308 or 30-06 would give you 10x the range over the shotgun.
    One square acre is about 69 yards per side. If you shoot across that diagonally (97 yards) you are pushing the limits of a slug gun. The way my 20 acre property is laid out, I could take safe shots near the effective limit of a .308 or 30-06. Even if they restricted calibers to certain acre requirements, on private property only, or even rifles for does only you could easily increase the harvest numbers.

With rifles slugs. Saboted slugs can manage 300yd shots fine. Muzzleloaders can manage 250yds fine.

I hear you, a .308 can easily manage 400 with the same ease. It would help, but it isn’t like current allowed weapons max out at 100yds.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    With rifles slugs. Saboted slugs can manage 300yd shots fine. Muzzleloaders can manage 250yds fine.

I hear you, a .308 can easily manage 400 with the same ease. It would help, but it isn’t like current allowed weapons max out at 100yds.

Yes they can manage it, but it is not ideal and is well outside of the recommended max range. The regs we have now came about as a combination of people not shooting responsibly and politicians concentrating on the extreme ranges of cartridges instead of effective ranges and responsible hunting practices.

The same arguement can be used for bow hunting. Most kill shots are 10-30 yards. A crossbow can reach to almost 100 yards, but their max recommended range is 50-70 yards. With that in mind a 150 yard setback is an unreasonable restriction on how you can hunt on your own private property.

If we want any changes, we need to both ask for way more then we are ever to likely get (increases the chance of getting something as a compromise) and concentrate on effective ranges instead of extreme ranges.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Step 1, de throne Calvin Ball. Get the anti redistricting clan on board with you. His removal from authority is the first step to solving problems in HoCo.

No. Even when Kittleman was in office, the changes basically had to go through the Howard County delegation. I always though it odd that the 50 yard rule made it past the Montgomery County Delegation, but not HoCo. One basically needs to get the HoCo delegation to approve the changes, then Annapolis will rubber stamp them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No. Even when Kittleman was in office, the changes basically had to go through the Howard County delegation. I always though it odd that the 50 yard rule made it past the Montgomery County Delegation, but not HoCo. One basically needs to get the HoCo delegation to approve the changes, then Annapolis will rubber stamp them.

Though getting HoCo to change the safety zone back to 150yds for firearms would be nice...

Stupid over reaction when they reduced it. The dude was already cited and did everything wrong. HoCo just wanted to be able to throw him in jail and couldn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom