• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I can't pass up a deal when I see one. For the price I paid, I pretty much got all the accessories for free. I think these are only going to go up in value. I picked this up at the Gettysburg show and, according to the vendor, he sold it 20 years ago and the guy brought it back to trade in so he was selling it again, albeit for a little more this time. As far as I can tell, it was refurbished in 1983, put in storage and hasn't been shot since. As long as I own it, it'll just sit like it did with the last guy, lol. Since I don't collect French firearms, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong about anything.

Right side:
    SigGdPql.jpg

Left side:
    AA3F3MSl.jpg

All the accessories with some still in the bag:
    6aJh5EGl.jpg

As far as I can tell, the spare magazines have never even been inserted.

Left side of the receiver showing the serial number and the date of rework:
    uTHJgJSl.jpg

Right side of receiver:
    APBJQ3wl.jpg

Markings on bayonet and scabbard:
    TC70JUal.jpg

4XEcVmjl.jpg

Serial number on top cover matches receiver:
    FuU2n70l.jpg

Is this a February 1975 date on the bolt carrier?:
    bxR5Jmal.jpg

There are no other markings that I can find.

Like most reworks, the bolt does not match:
    JHJL5Jal.jpg

But there is evidence of a previous number and/or markings:
    USsMjcol.jpg

Also the barrel number does not match. But, since there is no prefix, I'm not sure this is actually a serial number that should/would match the receiver:
    9fjof5ul.jpg

Markings on back of grenade launcher sight:
    jOcED2ul.jpg

I assume this is a cast front sight base?:
    XBnxGFRl.jpg

I have no idea what this blue dot sticker means on the butt plate:
    qLKgUMNl.jpg

Bolt face:
    GCcTA7Xl.jpg

Bolt shows minima wear to the finish:
    DvzLxfNl.jpg

MUW1GOsl.jpg

re4AAWUl.jpg

Same with the bolt carrier:
    byAzeiCl.jpg

CJRAWJCl.jpg

Gas tube and chamber look as new and feed ramp shows no wear:
    HrOqcbil.jpg

zN8rmqXl.jpg

Bore and crown lo0k good:
    Qv5h5uil.jpg

c4eaIuSl.jpg

UUCZInZl.jpg

Is the "59" on the bolt locking lug the year of manufacture?:
    Qxwq1XGl.jpg

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Stamp on cleaning kit pouch:
    0W8t0YBl.jpg

Stamp on small parts pouch is illegible unfortunately:
    B31p9qVl.jpg

Still sealed in the plastic cleaning kit :
    szZO29el.jpg

fjCSwPnl.jpg

Also still sealed tools and spare parts:
    RAVCzzNl.jpg

XhdOE8dl.jpg

I couldn't get a picture of the night sight date but it's 1966.

At first, I though this was mold on the sling but it doesn't smell musty and the white powder comes off very easily. I think this is actually talc or some other preservative and not mold:
    cYL9vSRl.jpg

So that's it. This is my first and only French rifle. I do have a MAB PA-15 too but that's also NOS and I can't shoot it. I don't really collect French firearms but the PA-15 has always intrigued me because of the rotating barrel and I bought this MAS simply because of the condition. French firearms have always been something of an enigma to me. The seem to be very robust yet very crude at the same time. I like them but not enough to buy a bunch of them. I ended up paying $800 out the door for this one which, as I said, I think is the price for a rifle in this condition and the accessories were essentially free. Let me know what you think (did I pay too much or get a deal?) and please let me know anything I've missed with regards to markings. Thanks in advance!

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Good investment....I remember when I first had my C&R around 1999, at a Harrisburg show a dealer had a table full of these with the extras. I passed, wish I didn't now.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's not a bad price for all you got. I still kick myself for not picking up the 49/56 I saw at Redding that hammered for $350 last year. I had gone there with the intention of picking up a SxS for hunting and didn't want to miss my set target.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Barrel won't match on a refurb. I would call it a bolt mismatch refurb. Price is a little high for a non matching refurb, but if you were to buy the accessories individually even if you paid $600 for the rifle you would be close to $800. They are great rifles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    The 59 on the locking shoulder probably has something to do with the size of the shoulder. Looks like they might headspace the same way an FAL or sks might.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    $800 with accessories in that condition is a VG deal these days. Add an APX-L806 scope and watch it jump to $1500 plus. I've seen MAS 44s and MAS 49s (rare French issue, not Syrian) selling well north of $1K. Syrian MAS 49s can sell heavy but they have to be in excellent condition which you don't see all that often. I have a good condition Syrian that's a shooter and it's damned accurate.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Didn't they convert some of these to 7.62x51 NATO? I wonder, if you were inclined to shoot it, if you could find ammo 7.5 ammo for it these days?
    Oh, and you now have two French military weapons, so you ARE a collector... "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive la Légion"...!

Oh, never mind, I just did a quick search and found that PPU makes it. I'd HAVE to shoot the thing!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a few of these. IIRC, the # on the barrel is the barrel's serial number and isn't matched to the rest of the gun. There should be a box w/ a date in it giving the barrel's year of manufacture? Again, its been a few years since I studied all this stuff and was on my French buying kick.
    A 'G' series rifle should be about '58-'60 year of manufacture.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think you did alright the guns run $500 to $600 possibly even $700 in premium as rearsenaled condition, that's a $100 bayo at least and $50 for the extra mag. Plus the accessories which usually get lost, separated or sold elsewhere. They are getting scarce.

I picked this one recently not quite as clean. Its one of two I have. Paid $450 but didn't get any accessories. I walked away with that one as a steal.

Most recent

41L59of.jpg

One from about 2 years ago with accessories, also paid $450. Neither are the condition yours is.

29yXY7x.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They look fine to me buddy!

Not as good or accessorized as yours. I think you did ok that stuff is hard and expensive to chase down. I think you will like it they are a really well handling gun, almost like handling a carbine in rifle form. Simple to clean lots of innovations. Wish the once dropped team had thought through things like mag changes. 7.5 French is a great round.

My budget for a nice clean rebuild shooter has always been around $600 plus or minus $50. I think you are going to like that gun and it might multiply.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    It’s a great rifle, a rifle i read some in the us wanted to adopt in lieu of the m14 but for politics. I have a refurb one i bought from empire 8 yrs ago. 3 mags, cleaning kit, hold the bayo for $550. I put an APX scope on it and its very cool. Wasn’t a charm to sight in. Bought about 1200 rds of french surplus from AIM and haven’t shot it for 5 years. Its a handy, well designed powerful little rifle and i think you got a bargain. The mags go for $55/per. I am not a collector of french rifles ( maybe french neck ties) but i do have 2 m36s and 2 m16s. Hope you can run some rds through it.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    She's a beauty; I think you did well considering the accessories you got with her.

I just came across this on Forgotten Weapons a week or so ago:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom