• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    The Lone Star State needs a bit of help in an Alamo sort of situation. We have a bill filed for Constitutional Carry but it has yet to have a hearing scheduled. There are several reasons for this but the main sticking point is the new Speaker of the House, Dennis Bonnen. He appointed a rabid anti-gun Democrat as chair of the committee hearing the bill. He has not used the power of his position as Speaker to promote Constitutional Carry, despite it being one of the legislative priorities of the Texas Republican Party.

Please give him a polite but firm phone call asking why Texas is so anti-gun. Ask why three states have already passed Constitutional Carry this session yet the bill hasn't come up for a vote in Texas. Ask him to back up his "A" rating from the NRA with some real action to help pass Constitutional Carry.

Speaker Dennis Bonnen
    512-463-1000

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The Lone Star State needs a bit of help in an Alamo sort of situation. We have a bill filed for Constitutional Carry but it has yet to have a hearing scheduled. There are several reasons for this but the main sticking point is the new Speaker of the House, Dennis Bonnen. He appointed a rabid anti-gun Democrat as chair of the committee hearing the bill. He has not used the power of his position as Speaker to promote Constitutional Carry, despite it being one of the legislative priorities of the Texas Republican Party.

Please give him a polite but firm phone call asking why Texas is so anti-gun. Ask why three states have already passed Constitutional Carry this session yet the bill hasn't come up for a vote in Texas. Ask him to back up his "A" rating from the NRA with some real action to help pass Constitutional Carry.

Speaker Dennis Bonnen
    512-463-1000

The fact that the bill ends up in a committee where a rabid anti gun is the chair does not seem like an accident to me.
    TX was just sold out by the speaker.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    The fact that the bill ends up in a committee where a rabid anti gun is the chair does not seem like an accident to me.
    TX was just sold out by the speaker.

Ya think? That's what we are focusing on in our calls. If Constitutional Carry doesn't advance, it is on the Speaker. He's new to the Speaker position and is getting a whole lot more pressure than he ever saw as a simple Representative. Neither he nor his staff are used to the phones melting down.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My first thought is that the speaker wants a way out of complaints after the fact .... “I tried”.

Is there a time limit for this bill down there? I may call with questions in regards to me looking to move to a pro gun state but this conversation will / May remove TX from my list. “I am Amazon, are you AOC wtf!” “Didn’t they just let loose 400 known illegal immigrants into TX yesterday?”

May be best to call the rabid anti first to get Ammo for a speaker conversation.
    I’m interested in the outcome.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    My first thought is that the speaker wants a way out of complaints after the fact .... “I tried”.

Is there a time limit for this bill down there? I may call with questions in regards to me looking to move to a pro gun state but this conversation will / May remove TX from my list. “I am Amazon, are you AOC wtf!” “Didn’t they just let loose 400 known illegal immigrants into TX yesterday?”

May be best to call the rabid anti first to get Ammo for a speaker conversation.
    I’m interested in the outcome.

Contact info for Chairman Rabid please? Social media as well. :D

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Democrat Poncho Nevarez I think

Yep Panic Button Poncho is the Homeland Security & Public Safety chair. Calling him may help but for now the focus of our efforts is on Speaker Bonnen. Bonnen is ostensibly a Republican, claims to have an "A" rating from the NRA, but also called a number of grassroots organizations down here "fringe groups."

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Fox had an article that made it sound like McNutt is a stalker. The Houston Chronicle article casts a much better light on the situation. What’s up with that?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...intercept-gun-rights-activist-at-13743180.php

Fox parroted the Texas Tribune's version of events which they got straight from Bonnen. That turned out to be a mixture of overreaction and outright lies. The "outraged activist" was distributing fliers supporting Constitutional Carry in the Speaker's district. The Speaker's wife, who claimed to have been frightened by the "machine gun" on McNutt's shirt, wasn't even home at the time.

You can see another side to the tale, with some backstory here:

https://www.lsgr.live/articles/bonnen-backstabs-texas-gun-owners

This craziness continues at a fund raising dinner last week, with Bonnen's side heard again through the Texas Tribune:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/0...is-bonnen-gun-rights-activist-come-face-face/

and an entirely different story told by a heavy hitting Republican donor, Darlene Pendery:

Dennis Bonnen's claim that Chris McNutt "visited his house" is deliberately misleading. Chris block walked in Bonnen's neighborhood distributing information that the Speaker had flip-flopped on Constitutional Carry, a campaign promise of Bonnen's. Chris made no attempt to contact Bonnen's wife or children. He did not ring the doorbell or knock on Bonnen's door. The gun rights activist did not harass, threaten, shout obscenities or hurl projectiles at Bonnen's house. He did not loiter or litter. And neither did Chris McNutt show up at Dennis Bonnen's district office brandishing a gun, as Speaker Bonnen claims. He passed out flyers, door to door, to inform constituents and donors in Bonnen's district. He distributed the same materials in the exact same manner in other representatives' neighborhoods.

Legal, non-threatening distribution of the facts was enough to push the Speaker over the edge. Many acknowledge that Dennis Bonnen has temper issues. No, the Speaker has an untreated neurosis causing him to explode into long episodes of violent raging when criticized, questioned, or held up to scrutiny.

At the April 9th Biennial Republican Party of Texas Spring Dinner, my guests and I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing one of Dennis Bonnen's irrational, out of control, raging demonstrations. Both Speaker Bonnen and Chris McNutt had been invited to sit at one of my tables long before flyers were distributed and the subsequent conflict arose. It was by no means a "set up" as Bonnen falsely claims.

Dennis Bonnen could have sat at one of two tables away from Chris McNutt. But that arrangement was not good enough for the Speaker. He would join us for dinner only if Chris were banished to a table in the back of the banquet hall, far from my other guests. Chris had already begun eating dinner when Dennis blindsided him with very loud shouting directly into his ear. People seated stared at Dennis in disbelief, as did I. Bonnen continued to berate and badger Chris with no sign of stopping. David Wylie stood and graciously invited the Speaker to have a seat at one of the other tables and to have a pleasant dinner with us. But he was not about to accept overtures of friendship. Later Bonnen claimed that David Wylie was aggressively hostile and tried to provoke physical violence. "He was afraid for his safety and thought he better leave." Right. Dennis's account is blatantly false as every person seated at that table has stated.

The smear and intimidation tactics used by Speaker Dennis Bonnen are alarmingly similar to the unethical, cutthroat methods we saw used by the Left to vilify Brett Kavanaugh during the tortuous circus of hearings. Likewise, throughout the Mueller sham of an investigation bent on overturning the presidential election results, we witnessed deep state corruption at its worst. Backed by liberal rags, The Texas Monthly, The Texas Tribune, Big League Politics, Speaker Dennis Bonnen distorts the truth, falsely accusing and smearing anyone with opposing views. Apparently not guided by any moral compass, ethics or standards, the seemingly insane raging maniac Dennis Bonnen will stop at nothing to push his liberal agenda upon Texas, willing to destroy anyone - through any means possible - who gets in his way.

Chairman James Dickey told me as we were being seated that he had made arrangements for Chris to be removed from my table and relocated to a chair further back in the banquet hall. James did this without consulting with me first. He took other creative liberties by adding three last-minute people to one of my tables without talking with me beforehand. Had those three chairs been left vacant, I could have seated Dennis Bonnen further away from Chris McNutt. Chairman Dickey made a mistake in judgment by taking control of my tables and rearranging my guests as he felt best. I will take this up with James soon.

I informed the Chairman that moving Chris was not going to happen. Dennis Bonnen could have been seated at one of two other tables. He refused to consider many guests there who were looking forward to becoming acquainted with him and discussing priorities laid out during the state convention and other pending legislative matters.

I sincerely apologize to each of my guests for the unpleasant experience you endured during Speaker Dennis Bonnen's raging episode. For what it is worth, I loved seeing each of you, and I was honored that you had accepted my invitation. Thank you, for being there.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Fox parroted the Texas Tribune's version of events which they got straight from Bonnen. That turned out to be a mixture of overreaction and outright lies. The "outraged activist" was distributing fliers supporting Constitutional Carry in the Speaker's district. The Speaker's wife, who claimed to have been frightened by the "machine gun" on McNutt's shirt, wasn't even home at the time.

You can see another side to the tale, with some backstory here:

https://www.lsgr.live/articles/bonnen-backstabs-texas-gun-owners

This craziness continues at a fund raising dinner last week, with Bonnen's side heard again through the Texas Tribune:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/0...is-bonnen-gun-rights-activist-come-face-face/

and an entirely different story told by a heavy hitting Republican donor, Darlene Pendery:

It's good to get more information on this. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom