• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    #1.

Do you have a source or more information on this? From what I've seen, the wording is "residents" must register. If I was anywhere firearm friendly, I'd lean towards it meaning carriers of that states ID/where taxes are paid/registered to vote. But since we're talking MD, I, unfortunately, would be led to believe anyone who isn't staying at a hotel or in some other obviously short term situation, ie 'residing' in MD, is classified as a resident.

Edit: I guess I stand corrected? "person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency." I've moved into Maryland obviously, but have absolutely no (none, nada, zero, zilch) intention of becoming a voter here or tax payer here.

Double edit: 'resident' could still simply be interpreted as someone living in MD, and as 90 days after the 'residing' began... Clear as mud. Typical.

Point is, it is NOT up to you to decide if you are a resident or not. If you live in the state more than 90 days, and continue to live in the state at least 185 out of the year, you ARE an MD resident.

The exemptions mentioned before are those that can live in the state and not become residents.

So if you live here, decide you are not a resident, and don't pay taxes (most employers will withhold based on your address), and don't title/register your cars, and all that other stuff. You are breaking the law. And subject various penalties for doing so.

I know up my way, many people who moved when their job moved to MD from NJ, due BRAC, have found out the hard way, the many DO get caught.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don’t reregister your car, don’t register to vote and don’t get a Maryland DL! As a retiree who PCS’d here from California prior to retirement in 94 I did nothing to change until I had to when I retired. Then you had to get Md DL and establish residency. One of the darkest days of my life!

DUH, if you PCS'd here as Active Duty military, your state of residence is what you claim.

If the person is NOT AD military, they do not have that choice.

DIFFERENT circumstances.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    DUH, if you PCS'd here as Active Duty military, your state of residence is what you claim.

If the person is NOT AD military, they do not have that choice.

DIFFERENT circumstances.

Double Duh! I was replying to his thread that he PCS’d here. So talking about AD military. So did I way back. You can run on expired out of state tags, expired out of state DL, as long as you have that active duty ID card.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Hell, come up my way in heel-billay land of rural Harford. I know peeps who still have NJ plates on some of their cars years after they moved.

I have no idea what their shtick is, but whatever it is, I guess New Jersey doesn't want their plates back. LOL

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Point is, it is NOT up to you to decide if you are a resident or not. If you live in the state more than 90 days, and continue to live in the state at least 185 out of the year, you ARE an MD resident.

The exemptions mentioned before are those that can live in the state and not become residents.

So if you live here, decide you are not a resident, and don't pay taxes (most employers will withhold based on your address), and don't title/register your cars, and all that other stuff. You are breaking the law. And subject various penalties for doing so.

I know up my way, many people who moved when their job moved to MD from NJ, due BRAC, have found out the hard way, the many DO get caught.

A MD resident regarding firearms, address/drivers license/taxes, or both? I will not be changing my legal residency from FL(drivers license, taxes, etc) IAW the Service Members Civil Relief Act. But based on the information in the wording of the MD law, 'resident' is not clearly defined and open ended to basically include everyone physically living in the state, likely intentionally, at least in my opinion. So sure, I now 'reside' in MD, but its not my home of record or state of legal residence, nor will it ever be. Yet, in this context, I don't see a clear definition on MDs part to be specific in exemptions for military. Whereas FL law clearly states that military members not only don't have to become FL residents to purchase firearms (with a set of orders to FL), but training requirements for obtaining a concealed weapon permit are waived. I'm obviously in favor of pro firearm laws, but gun friendliness aside, FL is very clear and specific. Hell, even CA is in most cases... MD is not, from what I'm seeing IRT the military.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You can ask 6 different people, including MSP, a question concerning firearms and get at least 6 different answers. Problem is they all think they’re right. Marylinistan firearm laws are like the mueller report... easy to comprehend.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    How are you moving to MD but not establishing residency?

The only legal ways to do that are:

1) Active Duty Military on orders.

2) Full Time student

3) Not living in MD at least 185 days per year

If you fall into one of those categories, you do not have to establish residency and do not have to register.

Residents of WV are not required to declare residency under #3.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Double Duh! I was replying to his thread that he PCS’d here. So talking about AD military. So did I way back. You can run on expired out of state tags, expired out of state DL, as long as you have that active duty ID card.

Actually, he did not say he was PCSing here.

He did reference the SCRA, which I did miss.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A MD resident regarding firearms, address/drivers license/taxes, or both? I will not be changing my legal residency from FL(drivers license, taxes, etc) IAW the Service Members Civil Relief Act. But based on the information in the wording of the MD law, 'resident' is not clearly defined and open ended to basically include everyone physically living in the state, likely intentionally, at least in my opinion. So sure, I now 'reside' in MD, but its not my home of record or state of legal residence, nor will it ever be. Yet, in this context, I don't see a clear definition on MDs part to be specific in exemptions for military. Whereas FL law clearly states that military members not only don't have to become FL residents to purchase firearms (with a set of orders to FL), but training requirements for obtaining a concealed weapon permit are waived. I'm obviously in favor of pro firearm laws, but gun friendliness aside, FL is very clear and specific. Hell, even CA is in most cases... MD is not, from what I'm seeing IRT the military.

I missed the reference to the SCRA. If you had said PCS or AD, I would have realized.

You do not have to establish residency in MD. You do not have register your firearms. You may not bring banned firearms into the state.

You do not need to title or register your cars in MD. As for DL, since I grew up (Dad was AD military) these rules have changed. They had to get local driver's licenses when they moved, but maintained FL residency, and FL tags on the cars.

Oh, and you come the provisions of the Federal firearms laws, where you can buy handguns either in MD once you are here, or FL where you maintain residency.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I missed the reference to the SCRA. If you had said PCS or AD, I would have realized.

You do not have to establish residency in MD. You do not have register your firearms. You may not bring banned firearms into the state.

You do not need to title or register your cars in MD. As for DL, since I grew up (Dad was AD military) these rules have changed. They had to get local driver's licenses when they moved, but maintained FL residency, and FL tags on the cars.

Oh, and you come the provisions of the Federal firearms laws, where you can buy handguns either in MD once you are here, or FL where you maintain residency.

Sorry I thought I mentioned being military; must've been in a different thread.

Thanks. I'll look up the driver's license, but I think changing that would require changing residence. It did for FL anyway.

And since my scary rifles are HBARs, my pistols are on the roster, and all but 1 magazine are 10 plus rounders purchased out of state...: 2 thumbs up...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Thanks. I'll look up the driver's license, but I think changing that would require changing residence. It did for FL anyway.

And since my scary rifles are HBARs, my pistols are on the roster, and all but 1 magazine are 10 plus rounders purchased out of state...: 2 thumbs up...

Then you are good to go.

Check into the DL. We did our last move in 1969, so I am sure the rules have changed.

But I remember, that when we moved, by parents had to get local DL. That did NOT mean they changed their residency, as title and tags were still FL.

I do remember that in some states, they had to take the driving test, in some, just the written. And IIRC for MD, they just handed their other one, and get the MD one.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Care to explain? PM if you don't want it public.
    Maryland Form MW507, page 1, 2nd column, first paragraph. Specifically calls out WV.

There is a thread here from awhile back. The analysis was that even if tax-wise one could stay in MD as a WV domiciled resident and not be required to become a MD resident, one just might have to abide by MD firearm laws :(

IANAL and YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maryland Form MW507, page 1, 2nd column, first paragraph. Specifically calls out WV.

There is a thread here from awhile back. The analysis was that even if tax-wise one could stay in MD as a WV domiciled resident and not be required to become a MD resident, one just might have to abide by MD firearm laws :(

IANAL and YMMV.

No it states you may not live in MD more than 183 days a year, or you would have to pay MD taxes:

Certification of nonresidence in the State of Maryland.

Complete Line 4. This line is to be completed by residents of the District of Columbia, Virginia or West Virginia who are employed in Maryland and who do not maintain a place of abode in Maryland for 183 days or more.

This is so you do not pay MD taxes if you LIVE in WV, but WORK in MD.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

You did in post #198. Some people just don’t read the entire thread before they put their $.02 in. My HOR was Pennsylvania until I was transferred to MacDill AFB in 82 then I bought a home and claimed residency. That stayed until late 94 when I retired in Marylinistan then I had to claim Maryland.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    This information might already be included here, but I figure no harm in posting it again. I've taken this from another thread which you can go to if you follow the links in the quotes below. Welcome to the gulag, er, aaah, "free" state.

Requirement to register handguns and some rifles when moving to Maryland. Along with the penalty for failing to do so...

Thanks all for the advice, I will advise accordingly.

FWIW, it's a revolver in their possession and until Friday they had no idea firearms were registered in Maryland.

Thanks,

-John

Jeez, stop guys. There is a penalty and it is substantial. The registration requirement is in MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-143. That provides that "(a)(1) A person who moves into the State with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary within 90 days after establishing residency." A new resident in the State may not his possess a regulated firearm without registering it within that 90 day window.

A violation of 5-143 is punishable under MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-144, which provides:
    a) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a dealer or other person may not:
    (1) knowingly participate in the illegal sale, rental, transfer, purchase, possession, or receipt of a regulated
    firearm in violation of this subtitle; or
    (2) knowingly violate § 5-142 of this subtitle.
    Penalty
    (b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment
    not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.

woodcutter45

Feb 20, 2014
    Sorry to hear about your move. After 40 years in MD I finally moved to NH and I would strongly advise anyone to do the same or at least someplace else. The sign down the street says, "LIVE FREE OR DIE. PICK ONE". MD was like the death of my soul, was the time and money really worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom