• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats to all who were able to harvest a deer during firearm/ML season. I sure hope everyone enjoys the venison that was harvested.

Congrats to all.

Congrats from me as well. Deer season isn’t over yet. Still have through 1/31. I am planning to take a day off later in the month to try Potapsco one last time. This time a whole day of it. I am going to wait for a warmer weather day though. 30s or 40s I could sit the whole day. Not negative 0 wind chills.

Only antlerless for me, but a nice big doe would be a great way to finish out the season.

Also winter turkey around the corner.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Officially the worst season in my hunting career of 8 years has come to a close. I did not see a single deer in the woods while hunting, only a couple my father in law jumped up as I was riding into the woods before even getting to the trail. I've never had a year where I didn't see any deer while hunting so it's been pretty frustrating. I think a combination of me missing most of early muzzleloader due to vacation, warm temperatures early in the season, and extreme cold temperatures late in the season are what did me in. Where I hunt seems to be a "traveling through" area for deer so I've never seen a ton, but to not see one at all wasn't much fun.

CGrant726

Feb 24, 2009
    North Harford Co
    BigCountry14 -Probably too late to help with your deer from the other day- there’s a processor on Castleton Road right at Flintville Road. I used him this year. Super clean place. Let me know if you want his info. Has a shop out behind his house. Did a real nice job.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Went up to mu buddy's house Sunday morning to help him track a buck he shot late on Saturday - ran out of light while following the blood trail. He's red/green color blind, so following blood isn't the easiest thing for him to do.

Picked up the trail, and was expecting to see the buck dead every 15 yards or so, based on the blood and chunks of lung we saw. That deer went about 1/2 mile before passing, the last 150 yards or so uphill. When we dressed him out, wasn't any blood left inside him. They are tough suckers when they want to be.

Good way to end the season, decent 8 point. With the frigid temps overnight, no issue with spoilage at all.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just grilled up some backstraps from my son's kill last month. Muy delicioso:yummy:

My parents can't remember the last time they ate venison ad neither of them ever liked it. Well they loved this one :D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_1804.JPG[2597].jpeg Sika fest on last day of firearms. Stag got bumped off on the way in. He was there spinning the feeder and got some lead slung at him but it was a clean miss. He didn't come back but the girls did.
    The hinds will bring him back, the plan is to have them so stiffed legged with starch they cant bend their legs.:)
    If those feeder are not high enough they will learn to spin the plate until the feeder is empty once they get wise to it. Problem here is its kind of far back to be humping something to stand on. If you put the feeder close enough to a tree, squirrels and coons will leap on to it and do the same thing.
    This is a pretty good spot because the canopy is kind of open just outside of the phrag so you have a little light when they are most active with a little pressure on them
    When its cold it doesn't matter they can show up at any time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    View attachment 222433 Sika fest on last day of firearms. Stag got bumped off on the way in. He was there spinning the feeder and got some lead slung at him but it was a clean miss. He didn't come back but the girls did.
    The hinds will bring him back, the plan is to have them so stiffed legged with starch they cant bend their legs.:)
    If those feeder are not high enough they will learn to spin the plate until the feeder is empty once they get wise to it. Problem here is its kind of far back to be humping something to stand on. If you put the feeder close enough to a tree, squirrels and coons will leap on to it and do the same thing.
    This is a pretty good spot because the canopy is kind of open just outside of the phrag so you have a little light when they are most active with a little pressure on them

I use critter cages on mine. They're not perfect, but they allow me to use shorter legs.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Gonna try to get out there Thursday after work. Between EMT school and my daughter's birthday party this weekend, time is a commodity I have little of! Although I did almost get a spike with my 4Runner this morning. I stopped and slid while his legs slid out from under him while running across Jewell Rd lol.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If my wife doesn’t veto I might go out Saturday. Looks like temperatures are going to plummet from early Saturday in to Sunday. I am hoping that has them moving a lot.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If my wife doesn’t veto I might go out Saturday. Looks like temperatures are going to plummet from early Saturday in to Sunday. I am hoping that has them moving a lot.

From what I've heard, who knows what will get them moving. It would seem it has been an odd year for everyone but the scary clown.

Redcan

Mar 19, 2013
    View attachment 222433 Sika fest on last day of firearms. Stag got bumped off on the way in. He was there spinning the feeder and got some lead slung at him but it was a clean miss. He didn't come back but the girls did.
    I've heard old-school metal slinky's work great on tripod legs to keep critters from climbing

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I've heard old-school metal slinky's work great on tripod legs to keep critters from climbing
    Thats a good idea and would be fun to watch.
    I have some feeders where the squirrels have chewed through various places and they go inside to load up.
    One day they're not going to make it out. Thats when they get hung up in the motor and spinner plate and turn into mummified motor burner uppers.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    This sounds far fetched to me but Google said it, so it must be true.:innocent0

"In fact, the average white tail can jump over an obstacle that is not 5, 7, or 8 feet high but 12 or more feet high– taller than virtually any barrier deer fence. In fact, to the astonishment of deer control experts, the U.S. Department of Agriculture rates white tail deer as being able to jump 15 feet high."

My neighbor said he saw a deer jump over an 8 ft fence one time. I believed him.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Couple of days left, these ones been passed up a few times already by the young-ins. Theirs a shooter in there among them that comes out but I didn't see him when I was offloading some folding chairs tonight. This is my lads back yard.
    I ought to go over there and kill the spike and tell him to cut it up just to piss him off.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Couple of days left, these ones been passed up a few times already by the young-ins. Theirs a shooter in there among them that comes out but I didn't see him when I was offloading some folding chairs tonight. This is my lads back yard.
    I ought to go over there and kill the spike and tell him to cut it up just to piss him off.

Those will be very nice next year. I've been seeing groups on a regular basis last few days. I noticed that spike. What is the one in back behind tree?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A question for you Buckologists.

Do antlers automatically grow bigger in size every year? Or can there be small years and big years for a buck?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom