• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    That hasn't been my experience with the Frederick PD. I've had to make two trips out to sign/bring in paperwork that didn't include any of the things that were aforementioned. I'll have to do it again tomorrow because they keep requesting things as things progress.

FCPD is a good agency but also small and as a result aren't starting an academy rotation every 10 weeks like say PG County. What that often means is the people who often handle certain tasks, don't always handle them often so sometimes things get screwed up/forgotten.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My issue is that I wasn't born here. I have to bring in paperwork from two different countries. Certain "flags" keep arising which I have to address as they come. My PHQ was a drop in the bucket compared to what I've had to compile for them. I don't mind doing it because I've been given windows of weeks to a month but I know these questions will pop up again for Baltimore and I'd love to just submit everything to avoid confusion down the road.

Sounds rough.

Might be easier to just apply to Frederick if it's easier for you. How many do they hire a year? 60-100 officers a year?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds rough.

Might be easier to just apply to Frederick if it's easier for you. How many do they hire a year? 60-100 officers a year?

FCPD probably only has @135-145 sworn total if I remember correctly.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    FCPD is a good agency but also small and as a result aren't starting an academy rotation every 10 weeks like say PG County. What that often means is the people who often handle certain tasks, don't always handle them often so sometimes things get screwed up/forgotten.

Yeah, it's just been my experience so far. It's not that bad here because it's a few minutes from my house but I can't imagine having to drive 2-3 hours because they need to make a copy of some obscure immigration document. I'd hate to miss an interview or something really important because I'm not in town.

Sounds rough.

Not even that. I think they are taking ~5 people this coming academy.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, it's just been my experience so far. It's not that bad here because it's a few minutes from my house but I can't imagine having to drive 2-3 hours because they need to make a copy of some obscure immigration document. I'd hate to miss an interview or something really important because I'm not in town.

Don't give up on FCPD, they're small but are busy and have pretty much any kind of specialized unit you can think of. A lot of their guys will have had hands in just about everything in a 20-25 year career.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    Don't give up on FCPD, they're small but are busy and have pretty much any kind of specialized unit you can think of. A lot of their guys will have had hands in just about everything in a 20-25 year career.

No way I'm easily giving up this job. I had to walk three people through getting my birth certificate from a bank and overnighting it from India. I'm dedicated. I just wish they didn't need things like that because my US passport, naturalization paperwork, and other things all verify my DOB.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    No way I'm easily giving up this job. I had to walk three people through getting my birth certificate from a bank and overnighting it from India. I'm dedicated. I just wish they didn't need things like that because my US passport, naturalization paperwork, and other things all verify my DOB.

My suggestion is that you hope for the best, which in your case sounds like FCPD is what you want, but don't count on it. If you want to do it, suck it up, expand your search and apply everywhere you can because choices at this stage are something very few people have. Go wherever you can get picked up so long as it meets your basic needs and realize that later on you can always lateral elsewhere if you desire to do so.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Look on the bright side, at least you'll have your birth certificate that for whatever reason you did not have in your possession before hand.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    Look on the bright side, at least you'll have your birth certificate that for whatever reason you did not have in your possession before hand.

No reason to have my Indian birth certificate when my US passport, naturalization, Social Security, and the 10 other things in my possession prove my identity among other things. The only time we've ever used this before was to come to this country. I think it's been on file ever since or the US documents proved who I was on the way up to my actual citizenship. I genuinely wonder if I'll ever need this again.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Apply, get in, start working and transfer after a year to the department you desire.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    rohankmalik, I'm glad there are still some that are willing to consider this tough but crucial job. I wish you the best wherever you wind up.

Thank you. One of the best methods I could think of to give back to this country. I'll most likely end up going into cyber security if this doesn't work out. I'll end up being underpaid and underappreciated either way. Gotta love being an adult!

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thank you. One of the best methods I could think of to give back to this country. I'll most likely end up going into cyber security if this doesn't work out. I'll end up being underpaid and underappreciated either way. Gotta love being an adult!

Hang in there and keep at it. My son has been on the BCPD force for 21 years. He had a lot of hoops to jump through to get in, but he REALLY wanted it and doesn't regret his decision. :thumbsup:

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    Hang in there and keep at it. My son has been on the BCPD force for 21 years. He had a lot of hoops to jump through to get in, but he REALLY wanted it and doesn't regret his decision. :thumbsup:

Thank him for his service for me. I'll hopefully be joining the ranks soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom