Attachments

• Screenshot_20200504-103550_Maps.jpg
      Screenshot_20200504-103550_Maps.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 548

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Troy Porta and son did a FANTASIC job for my slab, sidewalk, and driveway.

I am looking for somebody to pour a 6" rebar reinforced 20x34 slab for me with j bolts in it for me to put up walls.

If you don't mind me asking, can you give me an idea of how large a size slab was poured for you, how thick, what type of steel was used, and approximately what they charged you for it?

Debating whether to buy a cement mixer/order a cement truck and tackle this myself after coronavirus regulations are lifted to a degree such that I can have family and friends help with the wheel barrows/cement truck, or whether I am going to pay somebody to take care of the headache and then I can work on completing the walls and roof for the shed.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Calico Jack and Fabrosman:
    If you don;t already have solutions, ping me with an email or PM and I'll give you some rough pricing guidelines and put you in touch with a couple of our concrete guys.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    It must be that time of year, I am also looking for someone to pour in our pole barn. About 30X50 pad. I have had some crazy quotes that I can't believe. Nobody wants to come look at the job but I have got quotes from 30K to 4K. Nobody wants to put details into the quote. I'm used to getting X dollars for material, X # of workers at $50 an hour. Maybe it's just because I'm down in St. Mary's

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    We’ve used a 45yo family owned brick/stone masonry and concrete company on several jobs on two houses with great results. They are headquartered in Mt Airy. They work the whole state and VA/NC. They are diehard conservatives and are relieved to find out a customer is too. It led to a discount for us being Trump supporters. Cash brought more discount too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We’ve used a 45yo family owned brick/stone masonry and concrete company on several jobs on two houses with great results. They are headquartered in Mt Airy. They work the whole state and VA/NC. They are diehard conservatives and are relieved to find out a customer is too. It led to a discount for us being Trump supporters. Cash brought more discount too.

Sounds great, but who are they? Hard to get in touch with them based upon that description.

ZeroMc

Apr 28, 2020
    Halethorpe MD
    on that size you are going to want to order a Concrete mixer, by those measurements it going to take 13 yds to pour. thats more than I would even think about mixing in a small mortor mixer.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I've been looking for concrete contractors myself. Contacted no less than 8 via emails and have gotten a total of 2 responses. 1st being" Have C19,sorry" with nothing else added. Not even a not interested , or I'll contact back after recovery.
    Second place did respond and made some suggestions but admitted the work I was looking to have done was not something they've done before. I need to have a concrete slab garage roof patched and sealed and possibly some sidewalk removed but not replaced at my house. From what I've been told by general contractors it may be hard to find people to do what I need done. Another couple of things to add to the list of projects that I probably could do but just don't have the time for.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    on that size you are going to want to order a Concrete mixer, by those measurements it going to take 13 yds to pour. thats more than I would even think about mixing in a small mortor mixer.

Yeah, I will probably go the cement truck route for this. The truck can probably come around the back to where the pour needs to be and the truck could pour right into the forms. Only worry about that is the raised lip of the asphalt driveway. I might be able to put some large paver stones along the lip so that the cement truck will be coming off of the pavers and not off of the lip of the driveway.

Question is whether I am going to dig out the footers, grade everything, frame it up, add in the rebar, and then order the cement truck, or if I am just going to hire somebody for this headache. I could probably do a 20x20 slab right now for the shed and then add the 20x14 slab for the wood shed at a later date.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    My brother-in-law has a masonry company (Masonry Care Inc.). I just called him to ask if it is OK to post up his contact info and got the nod. Phone number is 3016744244. Manuel, old school Portugese chap. He is a MoCo resident FWIW.

If you do happen to reach out, tell him his brother-in-law Mark sent you. Nothing in it for me but it will prompt him to know why you are calling other than the obvious.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. If you do not hear from him relatively promptly, shoot me a PM or preferably text on seven03 Nine80 Seven093

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I missed this thread but saw it when I came here to pose the same question. I need to have a 24x32 slab or foundation 4.5" thick (3000 psi or maybe I go with 4000psi) done for a garage with a lift. I had one quote with a foundation 3 courses of block for $9100. I had another contractor come look and am waiting for his quote but based on the delay, I would not recommend Saia Concrete. I have a 3rd coming on Monday from the western shore. Let me see how I feel about him before giving a recommendation. He was recommended by a close friend that is in the hardscape business.

Fabs, based on what you say about you building a shed, it sounds to me like you are going way overboard with a 6" slab based on what I have learned. As mentioned, a 10K lb lift only requires 4.25 to 4.5" of concrete.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Anybody contact or hire any of the contractors suggested in this thread?

Looking for a quote on a pad at my place in White Marsh. Trying to decide if I want to do a full building or just slap up a car port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom