The damned humidity! Gun storage questions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Towsonite

Jul 31, 2020
    Dumb question (I am really good at
    those...):

Would an incandescent light bulb (Say 40w)
    in the bottom of the safe do the same
    thing as a golden rod?

Is the rod simply more cost effective since it produces only heat, not heat and light?

It would likely do the same thing. I do think the 150 degree heat of the goldenrod is excessive (of course, everyone apparently swears by them so who am I to judge), but I can't tell you which is more energy-efficient. Using an incandescent is an old trick some craftsman use to keep tools from getting condensation/rusted in an otherwise unconditioned workshop. You build a closet or box to put the tools in with an incandescent light. It's just there to keep the tools constantly above the dew point. i.e. without it, the tools get cold overnight and then suddenly get bombarded with hot moist air when the shed or workshop gets hit by the sun, but not fast enough to heat the tools before they get condensation on them.

Towsonite

Jul 31, 2020
    Most have precharged lines and components.

Just hook them up.

It used to just be the Mr. Cool minisplits that were pre-charged. I think Mr. Cool makes them both ways now, where you need someone to charge it and the others that are labeled "DIY". I'll be in the market if I ever finish our garage... one day. No where near as good as a Mitsubishi, but for a garage it's perfect considering little to no install cost.

md417

Feb 2, 2013
    Pasadena
    I put a couple Eva-dry E500 renewable dehumidifiers. Take them out once a month and plug them in to heat the crystals so they release the moisture they have absorbed. Then put them back in my safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom