• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Need to hire a couple of first grade operating engineers for my plant at hospital
    Please pm me with resume
    Also willing to hire 2 nd grade and help advance them to first grade

Last edited:

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Pretty young to be operating a plant.

Took me a seconds, but I had a great laugh once I got the joke. Thumbs up for that one.

I still kick myself for not getting my DC 3rd. The city boiler inspector was bothering me to bribe him and that just did not sit well with me so I avoided the topic entirely.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    With the demand for grade 1 operating engineers currently.
    I would strongly urge anyone in a position more so you young guys that are working with someone that does have the license,to take the 3rd grade test, then 2nd following year so after 4 years you’ll eligible to take first grade test.

Similar to needing a hvac, license,electricians license, Ect.
    May take 4 years similar to an apprentice program but in the end you will be
    able to demand a good salary and always be in demand.

With the demand for grade 1 operating engineers currently.
    I would strongly urge anyone in a position more so you young guys that are working with someone that does have the license,to take the 3rd grade test, then 2nd following year so after 4 years you’ll eligible to take first grade test.

Similar to needing a hvac, license,electricians license, Ect.
    May take 4 years similar to an apprentice program but in the end you will be
    able to demand a good salary and always be in demand.

Hindsight 20/20 I'm really kicking myself for not starting the process when I worked at the big fishtank in Baltimore's inner harbor. There were two Grade 1's I could have apprenticed under.
    I am fluent in JCI's Metasys and Allen Bradley controls, but don't have the stationary engineer certs. Basically my 8 years experience didn't mean squat outside of another public aquarium. Had I gotten Grade 1, I would easily be making double what I'm making today.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I’m willing to hire grade 3 or 2 and work them thru process. Especially with JCI metasys building automation experience.
    Working under my license along with letter of recommendation from me to sit for first grade test. Can get you a first grade in 2 - 3 years.
    Once grade 1 your golden and can write your own ticket, the demand is that high.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I still kick myself for not getting my DC 3rd. The city boiler inspector was bothering me to bribe him and that just did not sit well with me so I avoided the topic entirely.

Lol, not surprised. Now is a great time to go back and get it if you are still interested, its nothing like it use to be, now it’s 50 multiple choice questions. Years ago my test was handwritten essay questions, drawings and a bunch of math problems. It took me 3 hours and 52 minutes out if the allotted 4 hours to complete it.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Ya know, Not that I have any qualifications and am also just too damn old for something like this it makes me think after reading through the posts on this thread. My Grand Daughter, soon to be the big "13" is starting to wonder about her future and what career path she should consider. She presently says she wants to be a baker, she loves puttering in the kitchen. While there's nothing wrong with that, I've tried explaining to her that her career choice should also be able to support herself and her life expenses, mortgage, car payments, utilities, savings, etc. Working in a bakery may not provide that type of income. I have many friends whose kids have racked up close to or beyond $100K in Student Loans who are now either unemployed or working at Walmart level jobs with their useless degrees.
    I would much rather that she pursue a trade instead of a college degree. There was a time in this country when a degree would almost guarantee an upper level income. Those days have come and gone. There are so many young people running around with so called "degrees of higher education" that know next to nothing. Today's colleges do much more to indoctrinate than to educate. My favorites are the on-line degrees that people pay good money for, only to find out that most employers do not accept or recognize them. My own employer does not accept them. A skilled tradesman will always have job, and will not have a crippling debt before they even become employed (wherever). Most Trade schools are a bargain compared to college tuition, and prospective employers will sometime pay for the training to allow one to land a really good paying job. Nothing wrong or demeaning about Blue Collar work. It's the Blue Collars that built this country. The loss of our skilled Blue Collars will mark te decline of our country.
    What type of training should a young person seek to prepare as a 3rd/2nd/ 1st grade Operating Engineer? Not only asking for my Grand Daughter, to offer her some life advice, but I see many of my friends kids who are getting ready to graduate HS with absolutely no plan for their future at all, just wanting a new Xbox seems to be their current dream. Pitiful.
    If only I was younger. :rolleyes:
    OK. Rant over.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Ya know, Not that I have any qualifications and am also just too damn old for something like this it makes me think after reading through the posts on this thread. My Grand Daughter, soon to be the big "13" is starting to wonder about her future and what career path she should consider. She presently says she wants to be a baker, she loves puttering in the kitchen. While there's nothing wrong with that, I've tried explaining to her that her career choice should also be able to support herself and her life expenses, mortgage, car payments, utilities, savings, etc. Working in a bakery may not provide that type of income. I have many friends whose kids have racked up close to or beyond $100K in Student Loans who are now either unemployed or working at Walmart level jobs with their useless degrees.
    I would much rather that she pursue a trade instead of a college degree. There was a time in this country when a degree would almost guarantee an upper level income. Those days have come and gone. There are so many young people running around with so called "degrees of higher education" that know next to nothing. Today's colleges do much more to indoctrinate than to educate. My favorites are the on-line degrees that people pay good money for, only to find out that most employers do not accept or recognize them. My own employer does not accept them. A skilled tradesman will always have job, and will not have a crippling debt before they even become employed (wherever). Most Trade schools are a bargain compared to college tuition, and prospective employers will sometime pay for the training to allow one to land a really good paying job. Nothing wrong or demeaning about Blue Collar work. It's the Blue Collars that built this country. The loss of our skilled Blue Collars will mark te decline of our country.
    What type of training should a young person seek to prepare as a 3rd/2nd/ 1st grade Operating Engineer? Not only asking for my Grand Daughter, to offer her some life advice, but I see many of my friends kids who are getting ready to graduate HS with absolutely no plan for their future at all, just wanting a new Xbox seems to be their current dream. Pitiful.
    If only I was younger. :rolleyes:
    OK. Rant over.

I’ll send you a PM. I dont want to post the info in Cobras help wanted add

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Too add. The process is much more different then myself or probably Brian’s was. Test I took involved steam boiler operation,basic refrigeration,electrical guestions.
    Now test are multiple choice with plenty of on line training/ prep for test.

Today fastest way to get license is to serve/work under, with a person with first grade. 3 rd grade is an open book test. Pass and hold that license for a year. Have first grade your working under sign off for them to take second. Pass it and typically have to wait 2 years to take first but I have wrote letters of recommendation that board accepts so they can take test for first grade.
    Assuming you are working under a first grade engineer you can probably test for first in four years. Again multiple answer test.
    Unlike most trades their are very few if any prep schools for operating engineers.

Learning a trade regardless of trade will always be in demand. Be it carpenter,plumber,electrition.
    Some trades are in more demand then others. First grade engineers have always and even more so now in demand now and demand will continue to grow as us old guys are not being replaced by the younger generation which in turn drives pay up for those positions.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    In Maryland there are 5 grades and only 3 & 4 are open book test.

Too add. The process is much more different then myself or probably Brian’s was. Test I took involved steam boiler operation,basic refrigeration,electrical guestions.
    Now test are multiple choice with plenty of on line training/ prep for test.

Today fastest way to get license is to serve/work under, with a person with first grade. 3 rd grade is an open book test. Pass and hold that license for a year. Have first grade your working under sign off for them to take second. Pass it and typically have to wait 2 years to take first but I have wrote letters of recommendation that board accepts so they can take test for first grade.
    Assuming you are working under a first grade engineer you can probably test for first in four years. Again multiple answer test.
    Unlike most trades their are very few if any prep schools for operating engineers.

Learning a trade regardless of trade will always be in demand. Be it carpenter,plumber,electrition.
    Some trades are in more demand then others. First grade engineers have always and even more so now in demand now and demand will continue to grow as us old guys are not being replaced by the younger generation which in turn drives pay up for those positions.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Might be time to go sign up for my DC 3rd test, just to get the clock started. :) Mayble I'll dig up my IUOE 99 card for sentimental value.
    Very limited exposure to boilers, even my brand new buildings in SWDC (Metro Waterfront station, 1100 & 1101 M) were all electric with no boilers of any sort. Pretty sure I still have keys for the buildings. Chillers and water flow have always been my strength and kept my interest. I'm working now in the medium-high voltage power generation, transformation, and testing world.

What's the better path to chase? DC licenses, or Maryland?

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Might be time to go sign up for my DC 3rd test, just to get the clock started. :) Mayble I'll dig up my IUOE 99 card for sentimental value.
    Very limited exposure to boilers, even my brand new buildings in SWDC (Metro Waterfront station, 1100 & 1101 M) were all electric with no boilers of any sort. Pretty sure I still have keys for the buildings. Chillers and water flow have always been my strength and kept my interest. I'm working now in the medium-high voltage power generation, transformation, and testing world.

DC license is your best bet. Pays more and opportunities are more plentiful.

In my experience the only places that “required” a MD license was Health Care and Government settings. My experience is limited in MD to the MoCo and Frederick Co. area so things might be different in Baltimore. That’s not to say you shouldn’t get one in MD.

I have both my DC 3rd and my MD 1st.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Thats a good question. I’m biased towards the DC 3rd because thats what I have and I think its the most recognized by Local 99 employers. I can say with certainty, that most large commercial real estate companies in the DC metro area require a DC 3rd to have engineer in your title even if you aren't in DC. The company I work for requires its Maryland and Virginia engineers to hold a DC 3rd.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I believe that if you hold a dc license it will qualify to meet the requirements needed to take a md license.
    Check out md licensing to be sure.
    I hired a marine engineer and his time served allowed him to test for first grade md license.
    Also hired a engineer with dc license that was permitted to take test.
    Same for military. Several means to test for md license depending on past duties.
    Check md. .Org. License’s to see what requirements are before able to test in Maryland.

Some medstar hospitals, mine included has even gone so far as to start a sort of apprentice program.
    We will hire you with Second or third grade and due to time worked will count towards hours to move up to next grade, assuming you pass multiple guess question test .
    Plenty of on line training available to prep for test.it’s the time served under first grade to sign off that allows you to sit for test.

Sad when Dundalk collage dropped their operating engineer prep course. Helped many get their license.

Many skilled trades are haveing same problems these days. The service industry will always be in demand of skilled workers. Just no young people willing to peruse them. Electritions,plumbers,hvac all in demand

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Bump to keep this thread going.

If nothing else but to realize the opportunities for those with a skilled service trade.

Just hired a dc licensed engineer on condition he take and pass his md first grade license test. He did, passed and now making just shy of 40.00 an hour.
    His dc license qualified him to take md test.

While half his pay grade maint.tech’s are physically doing pm’s and repairs on equipment he is licensed to operate. Yet I can’t convince some of my younger maint. Guys to sign up to test since they already have time needed just by working under me?
    Guess I’m confused as to why someone would not to advance themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom