What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    GSG 1911-22 is my vote! Cheap too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the GSG 1911-22. Very reliable and about the same weight as a .45 cal 1911. 80% parts interchangeability with a .45 1911 too. Very fun to shoot. Sig is the same gun, just relabeled and higher price.

spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    I saw someone mentioned the M&P 22. I shoot an M&P 9mm and it is a great way to practice on a gun set up the same way but with cheaper ammunition (which I find online for about $.07 from time to time).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    According to BJ Norris one of the top rimfire (or any kind of gun in fact) shooters in the world the Ruger Mk I-III Luger angle grip is tops for shooting steel because the grip angle allows a slightly faster engagement time than most of the other .22s which have grips that are closer to the 1911 angle. It creates a more natural pointing angle with the hand and your wrist. Other than that I don't know it has any real advantages.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    A .22 thread a couple years old and I haven't weighed in? How did that happen?

Buck Mark.

BTW, Buck Mark > Peacemaker > Sentinel > GSG

and YES the Sentinel looks like crap but shoots straight as an arrow.

Attachments

• Buck Mark 7.jpg
      Buck Mark 7.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 222
    • PeacemakerLR.jpg
      PeacemakerLR.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 223
    • HSSentinel1.jpg
      HSSentinel1.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 221
    • GSG1911d.jpg
      GSG1911d.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 227

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    I have the Sig 1911-22 and the M&P22 compact. Both are great 22 shooters and good training guns for your higher calibers. The Sig is a full size 1911 and when I really want to shoot my 1911 but realize I'm broke and can't go shooting 200 rounds of .45, I shoot the Sig 1911-22. Because it has the size and (80%) weight of a really 1911 it's a joy to shoot. Very accurate and little recoil. Like a previous poster said, it's the same as the GSG. Mine is OD Green though.

The M&P 22 Compact is even better IMO. It has eaten EVERY kind of 22 I've but through it. From nice CCI to Walmart white box crap. The thing is very light and very fun to shoot. I recently bought a Spectre Warlock for it, I'm waiting on my paperwork to come back.

I'd say that you really can't go wrong with either of these two firearms.

Now, to touch on what a lot of other people are saying, the Ruger MK II/III are great guns. I've shot the II and it is a beast. Not pretty but it's a tac driver. Shoots straight and always functions.

However, if I didn't already have two 22 pistols, I would buy the 22/45 lite in blue and throw a suppressor on it. That, to me, will put you on the road to an "ultimate 22 pistol" build. And speaking of "ultimate" check out this video the 22 Plinkster did for his 22 pistol build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUq1AIeGoOM

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have a lot of rounds through a Ruger MKIII and 22/45 Lite. The MKIII is my Bullseye gun and has been modified extensively. The 22/45 is used for Steel Challenge. They are good pistols for sure but they do take some effort to clean. It can be frustrating until you get the hang of it. I recently acquired a S&W M&P 22 Compact. I would recommend that as a first pistol. Easy to clean, reliable, accurate enough for plinking, and a good trainer for moving up to larger caliber semi-autos in the future.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I vote Buckmark. My daughter and I shot around 250 rounds today with my this beauty that I picked up 2+ years back from 2A.
    IMG_1852.jpg

She started getting frustrated with multiple FTEs using Federal "Premium" Target 40 grain 1080 fps ammo.

Switched her to Winchester 36 grain 1280 fps hollow points and all was right with the world.
    IMG_1851.jpg

Next purchase is a threaded barrel to kick off the NFA trust. Cabela's has them on sale:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1168632

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Haven't seen much love for the Smith & Wesson Model 41 in a while. I've had mine over 30 years and still feel darn near privileged to grab it and both barrels from the safe and tote it to the range. It always draws admiration.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK , purpose built Designs for rimfire ctgs work best with steeper mag to chamber angle. . As noted there is ergonomic adantage to the steeper grip angle.

So what's the catch ? They are different from most centerfire semiautos. Majority of buyers in recent decades prefer a .22lr with at least grip angle similar to their CF pistols, if not actual clone thereof. In other words, understudy capability is more desired ( by most buyers ) than the ultimate stand alone .22lr. Ruger & Browning still offer models with the non- 1911-ish grip shape , but I'd be interested in seeing the break down of sales. Woodsmen & High Standards still turn up in the sweet spot of condition of being good shooters, but just ugly enough to have lesser demand from pure collectors.

The buy in price for S&W M41 has always been steep. But plenty of people sink big $ into their Rugers to try to make them as accurate as stock M41.

And on the subject of S&W , the M422/622 & M2206 pistols were fine pistols, still commonly seen , and under apreciated.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I like my SR 22 with a threaded barrel and suppressor but I lust for a smith and Wesson model 617. Wish they made a blued model like the colt diamondback though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom