• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Attached are two photos of the pattern from my mossberg 500. This was at 25 and 30 yards. Shells were Winchester super x, 2 3/4, 1 1/2 ounce 5 shot. 28 inch ported barrel with a full choke. I tried two full chokes, both had similar results. This was placing the bead dead center.

I am pretty ‘new’ to shotguns outside slugs, but this doesn’t seem like such a great pattern for turkey? Any suggestions on what to try next?

(This is assuming I’ll even get a chance to pattern again before season due to covid 19 closures and not having private land. If that is the case, I’ll go with the bow).

Attachments

• C6B421A9-4E63-4AA5-9C5A-1C0365930A7F.jpg
      C6B421A9-4E63-4AA5-9C5A-1C0365930A7F.jpg
      108 KB · Views: 439
    • 7B3FF0C1-DC61-4944-855B-5B6FFE502771.jpg
      7B3FF0C1-DC61-4944-855B-5B6FFE502771.jpg
      98 KB · Views: 448

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Actually your pattern looks good, especially the top target. Consider a Turkey head is 2x3 inches; you have several pellets in the center of the target within the 2x3 squares. If you can do that again on a Turkey you will be successful. Want better patterns; try different shells and maybe a no. 4 shot. Consider a Turkey choke. Thanks for taking the time to pattern your shotgun before going out to hunt.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You see how on the second target assuming that is the thirty yard one, there is gaps/ holes in it. Right at about the 11-1 and 6 o'clock position. Try a modified choke with a little more follow through to see if some of those gaps will close up.
    Also you can see a higher percentage below the target center. Thats from the recoil and jump from the gun and a little lower hold. Think string of pellets about 5'-6 long more so than a cloud that travels in a bunch. All the target impact doesnt occur at the same time.

By experimenting with different choke ammo combinations you will find one that doesn't throw as many errant flyers and has a more even density.
    The flyers will not penetrate as well and have no energy from being flattened out when they exit the muzzle, the gaps will create a miss. The pellets that peel out and don't make it to the target hurt at longer distances.

I try to find a combo with an even density instead of a tighter pellet radius. It only takes 2-3 pellets right in the noggin to do the job.
    For me a modified choke with a smaller diameter pellet works in my 5oo. If I screw a full in there and use plated or larger than lead no 5 it gets holes in the pattern because of the way the shot acts traveling through the bore.

Both your targets indicated will grass one but experimenting with chokes/ammo has a profound effect and its not always high velocity tight chokes that do it. You would be surprised if you mess around with your kit what kind of results you can get.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Actually your pattern looks good, especially the top target. Consider a Turkey head is 2x3 inches; you have several pellets in the center of the target within the 2x3 squares. If you can do that again on a Turkey you will be successful. Want better patterns; try different shells and maybe a no. 4 shot. Consider a Turkey choke. Thanks for taking the time to pattern your shotgun before going out to hunt.

I was thinking about picking up another choke, first wanted to try different shells, and most likely none up to 3” shells. It’s just this COVID 19 situation makes that impossible. I may have to just limit my range to 25 yards to be safe

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Watch it it will drive crazy . I spent a lot of time and money on shells and different chokes looking for the perfect pattern . From your pics your killing turkeys . But there is no way other than trying different stuff. I use 4 shot , less is more for me . Like I said experiment which is difficult if not impossible nowadays. Think you’ll be fine hunting , get em in close.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I've switched over to the TSS shells. They are expensive but with the smaller shot you can really fill in a pattern. This is a 40 yard shot when I was sighting in last month.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
      IMG_0163.jpg
      98 KB · Views: 344

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I've switched over to the TSS shells. They are expensive but with the smaller shot you can really fill in a pattern. This is a 40 yard shot when I was sighting in last month.

What size shell/shot was this? I see so many more hits close together. I was counting just a couple hits on a head/neck sized area at 25/30 yards..

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Last edited:

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    You see how on the second target assuming that is the thirty yard one, there is gaps/ holes in it. Right at about the 11-1 and 6 o'clock position. Try a modified choke with a little more follow through to see if some of those gaps will close up.
    Also you can see a higher percentage below the target center. Thats from the recoil and jump from the gun and a little lower hold. Think string of pellets about 5'-6 long more so than a cloud that travels in a bunch. All the target impact doesnt occur at the same time.

By experimenting with different choke ammo combinations you will find one that doesn't throw as many errant flyers and has a more even density.
    The flyers will not penetrate as well and have no energy from being flattened out when they exit the muzzle, the gaps will create a miss. The pellets that peel out and don't make it to the target hurt at longer distances.

I try to find a combo with an even density instead of a tighter pellet radius. It only takes 2-3 pellets right in the noggin to do the job.
    For me a modified choke with a smaller diameter pellet works in my 5oo. If I screw a full in there and use plated or larger than lead no 5 it gets holes in the pattern because of the way the shot acts traveling through the bore.

Both your targets indicated will grass one but experimenting with chokes/ammo has a profound effect and its not always high velocity tight chokes that do it. You would be surprised if you mess around with your kit what kind of results you can get.

Thanks for the advice. If I find a way, I’ll try out a few different shells and chokes. Now it’s just a matter of seeing if that’s possible.! Thanks again

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Is this choke tighter than a full choke or simply longer?

A turkey choke is usually tighter than full choke. I use a patternmaster for waterfowling, and it is probably what I would use to go turkey hunting too. I also use Hvi-Shot, which is heavier than lead and hard as steel. That means you can use smaller pellet sizes than lead and that it will not deform under pressure so you will get tighter patterns.

Turkey hunting is where a longer shell actually shines. With turkey hunting, a bird is not flying through a shot string. Instead, all the pellets are being delivered on target. So, use the longest shell possible for turkey hunting.

As far as the top pattern goes, it is alright, but nothing to write home to mom about. The bottom pattern, don't use that setup for turkey hunting.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I bumped into a seasoned gunsmith by chance yesterday. He brought up a good point, the shot I used was steel- not good with a full choke. It doesn’t compress like lead does, so when it passes the full choke, instead of compressing, it may have acted like breaking a shot on a pool table- they ricocheted off each other after the choke. I am going to try a larger choke first and then different shells. How will I get this done before turkey season? No clue.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You need lead for turkey hunting, 3" shells minimum for going 30yds. Get an extra full turkey choke. The pattern from 94Hokie is what you should be getting. If you use your current setup you'll most likely just injure the bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom