Mar 3, 2008
    Got a 1000 round box for $180, in your case I’ll do 500 for $200 :lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: psa has 50 round box 8.99
    You can buy it over at WM for $27 for 150 all day long - it's the only cheap stuff I've found thus far that will run consistently in my Fauxland Special. Brownells also sells it sometimes for $180/1000 in a can, which is nice - I've got one of those in my SHTF stash.

But the heavier stuff shoots a little softer, and if I'm going at competition speed, that's something I care about.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Winchester 124 grn Whitebox NATO for the range-- shoots reliably in my Glock 17 and Hk USP. Several thousand rounds now and 0 FTFs/stovepipes/jams-- Federal Hydra-shoks for defense.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I reload 124gr plated bullets to barely 125PF by the thousands for the bulk of my practice and competition, but of course this isn't the reloading forum.

My 9mm's run my handloads reliably, but if I want to shoot a full-power load, or if i want more brass, I'll use bulk Federal FMJ, shoots well enough, good brass, and it's about as cheap as any. Last time I bought some, the 200rd value packs were under $30.

For defensive ?CCW use, I carry 124gr HSTs. Have plenty to practice with and change out as ammo gets beat up, they have about the best performance in every test they are involved with, and the std pressure 124gr are very reliable and mild in everything I have used them with, the +p are only 50 FPS faster at best, but have a lot more blast from short barrels. The 147gr are also great, but they were harder to keep stocked up with, only reason I went with 124s over them.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    My preference is 124 gr JHP. It feeds reliably in everything I own which is what I consider the most important factor for my needs.

I sometimes put a 9mm barrel in a G33 or a G 27. The 124 grs function but not the 115. I’ll shoot anything thru my shield or p226, but for the reason stated, if 124s are available, all things being equal i will buy a case or two at a time.
    For self defense, so many choices. Golden saber, HST, sig, critical duty. They are all good. But since you need to be sure they function, if i can get great deals on boxes of 50, and its a good round like HST selling for $20/50 i will buy a quantity for testing and then SD. Hard to justify testing rds that are $1+ per.

Last edited:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I sometimes put a 9mm barrel in a G33 or a G 27. The 124 grs function but not the 124. I’ll shoot anything thru my shield or p226, but for the reason stated, if 124s are available, all things being equal i will buy a case or two at a time.
    For self defense, so many choices. Golden saber, HST, sig, critical duty. They are all good. But since you need to be sure they function, if i can get great deals on boxes of 50, and its a good round like HST selling for $20/50 i will buy a quantity for testing and then SD. Hard to justify testing rds that are $1+ per.

Be fun to take your 33/27 and my 33C/27C to the range and compare them side by side.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    My preference is 124 gr JHP. It feeds reliably in everything I own which is what I consider the most important factor for my needs.

I sometimes put a 9mm barrel in a G33 or a G 27. The 124 grs function but not the 124. I’ll shoot anything thru my shield or p226, but for the reason stated, if 124s are available, all things being equal i will buy a case or two at a time.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use WM Fed 115 for matches most of the time (or Blazer 115). For falling steel I like Fed AM 147g FMJ FP. Last year at PSA I shot Fed Blazer 124g and it was my best result ever so I am likely to use that again in my G34.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Be fun to take your 33/27 and my 33C/27C to the range and compare them side by side.

Jon, Next time i am heading to timonium i will give you some head’s up and we can shoot. I once smouldered their ceiling with a compensated springfield 1911 and lake city ammo.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    124 Grain Flat Point Brass Plated Berry's out of my 5" 1911 fly very very well...

I honestly think they would leave a mark, so I haven't tried to catch any yet...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Do you have a particular brand of ammo to shoot?

Do you look for price or quality in target ammo?
    115 grain? 124 grain? or 147 grain?

Choice for "Personal Protection" ammo?

Testing 9mm ammo for accuracy and dependability is kind of fun.

I like Sellier & Bellot 124gr FMJ in my CZ's for practice, plinking and casual competition. It seems to be very consistent in terms of accuracy and reliability. When I can't find it at a good price (.17-18cpr with free shipping) I'll try to find either Winchester White Box NATO 124gr. FMJ or Geco 124gr FMJ. Both perform on the same par as the S&B but, usually cost slightly more.

My Walthers and HK don't seem to care what I feed them, especially the VP9SK. Doesn't seem to matter if it's blue light special MagTech, Aguila or Federal 124gr FMJ. They shoot them all equally well and 100% reliably.

I use Cor Bon 125gr. JHP+P for defense. Never had an issue with reliability and/or accuracy in any of my 9mm pistols.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    For plinking I use whatever is cheap and these days it’s time to stock up imho. I use blazer, s&b, herters, american eagle, all in 115gr when on sale for target blasting. When it comes to self defense ammo...

8f6116e6b7ade6dd0b9cd1b4d1925279.jpg

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Thank You everyone for your input and responses. I do read and think of each ones experience here in shooting and selection of ammo.

Matt C.

Jan 13, 2019
    Federal American Eagle 124 gr. fmj

Federal 124 gr. EFMJ

I keep it simple. Both shoot to POA with my 3953.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom