• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I can't speak for all areas of Maryland, but the number of farmers/land owners is dwindling. Those 100 acre farms are being sold and houses are being put up.

One bit of advice that had worked for me and a few friends is to find a larger company who owns a lot of land. They are willing to "sell" their property to a group of hunters. Usually it's for deer only, but that's what most are looking for anyway. We had a paper company who owned 30 acres of woods. A perfect size for 4-5 guys to hunt. We had an exclusive contract with them and it was only $100 each. Now this was in 1995 money, so it's not a fair comparison for today. Their security would sometime stop by and check our IDs. After awhile they got to know us and we talked a lot. Sometimes they'd have a tip or 2 on where the deer were.

This lasted a few years until something happened and we weren't allowed to renew our contract. It was nice for hunting meat. No trophies, but plenty of deer to shoot. We only had a few days through the year they wouldn't allow us to hunt. I believe it was due to meetings or something like that. I guess they didn't want to scare any city slickers who may be attending the meeting. Who knows?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    There is state land that goes up for hunting leases every year all over the eastern shore. You could probably find it online it just call DNR for a list. If you guys got a few guys together I imagine it would be pretty affordable. The club I belong to leases a piece of property and I don’t know what the lease cost but it cost me $150 a year to be a member.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Be very careful when looking for a hunting club. It reminds me of the old joke, I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Remember, you're going to be hunting on the same property as other folks that you don't know anything about. Just be careful with your choices.

Yeah, I thought about joining a hunting club 15 or so years ago on the eastern shore. Another buddy of mine from a hunting chatboard was thinking about doing the same thing. We both looked into the same hunting club. He joined up, but I could not get my head wrapped around all the rules and regulations, and they changed the rules and regulations over the summer. Seemed as though the entire thing was run by a single guy and he could do as he pleased with the rules. No thanks on that one. Worse than the Maryland General Assembly at $3,000 for the first year and $1,500 each year thereafter.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I hunt a lot of private land and also public land. I do it all for free, no fees. I can't see paying thousands or even hundreds of dollars a year to shoot a couple or few deer. But that is just me i guess.

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    I hunt a lot of private land and also public land. I do it all for free, no fees. I can't see paying thousands or even hundreds of dollars a year to shoot a couple or few deer. But that is just me i guess.

Hey that is really great for you but many of us don’t have the privilege of hunting private land for free. I am not from here and don’t know any land owners. As for public land, I have only been hunting 2 years and have had a few experiences that have made me reconsider the venture. From other hunters trying to set up with 40-50 yards from me, others stalk hunting and running deer all over the place bc they are too impatient. The worst was this year when around 2:00 a guy walks into the woods to start setting up. He sees me in the tree, walks over and tells me I need to leave bc I was in his usual spot. I had been there since the morning. When I didn’t leave he just walked around the WMA “stalk hunting”. Needless to say I didn’t see anything that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom