• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not in my experience , I shot a rabid raccoon with 3 45 caliber 230 grain bullets in the top of the skull before it died . it was getting to close for comfort I wished the Mauser was loaded

Years ago there was a rabid one out actually behind the police station where I was working. Officer who got stuck with the duty used an 870 loaded with 00 buck to make it as quick and merciful as possible. Thing stil went down hissing and fighting after it was shot.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This is my experience with a rabid woodchuck, as posted nearly 10 years ago:

Report on Kimber Pepper Blaster
    by Threeband, Aug 28, 2008.

I've had one of these things for about a year and a half, never was terribly enthusiastic about it. It's a two-shooter, and at nearly $20 per shot, doesn't lend itself to practice.

Well, after carrying it for all this time, I actually used the thing recently, so I'm ready to share my experience, for whatever it's worth.

So here goes, and you can laugh all you want, but this is no BS:

I'm the Lead Carpenter for a small remodeling company. A couple weeks ago one of my guys, Ralph , saw a groundhog hanging around in the open. He chased it 50 yards to the other side of a small stream. It followed him back.

I showed up about this time, and the groundhog came straight for us. Amazed, we both jumped up on the back of our trucks. It trotted away. I got down again and the groundhog circled back, coming straight at me. I picked up a shovel and stood my ground, expecting it to veer aside.

Well, it didn't. It came straight on, very agressively and with evident determination. At the last moment, I gave it a medium SWAT with the shovel, more to turn it aside than anything else. It trotted away again while Ralph threw ice cubes at it from the back of his truck.

Now I was certain the groundhog had rabies, and wished I had hit it harder.
    For the next half hour or so, it wandered around in the open about 50 yards away, before finally disappearing beyond a shed. I assumed it crawled off somewhere and died.

Two days later, Ralph and I walked back beyond the shed to look around, not expecting to see anything, then went back to the house we were remodeling. We must have aroused the groundhog, because a few minutes later I glimpsed it just outside the sliding glass door on the patio. Damn thing had followed us back, 75 yards.

Ralph ran to grab a pitchfork from the garage, while I went for my truck to get my shovel and the Kimber Pepper Blaster. Coming around the corner, I was amazed to see the groundhog chasing Ralph, who jumped back into the bed of his pickup. The other guys on my crew came running out the front door to see what was up, and the groundhog began chasing them in turn.

Yes, it was a bit of a comical situation, but actually it was very serious. This thing was VERY agressive, and truly dangerous. It wanted to attack, and it was not going away. No one in the neighborhood would be safe until it was dead, and what's more, we couldn't get any work done with it sneaking up on us from the bushes.

After chasing the other guys around a bit, the Rabid Groundhog spotted me, and came running straight at me. I held the shovel in my left hand, and the Kimber Pepper Blaster in my right as the Zombie Woodchuck closed the gap.

At a range of six feet I fired a single shot from the "Lifeact Guardian Angel", and the effect was instantaneous and astonishing. There was a low "POP!" from the Blaster, and I saw a splotch of orange-red dye appear on the head and body of the groundhog. The shot was dead-on, a ten-X! But here's the result:

The Rabid Groundhog was INSTANTLY BOWLED OVER on its side, like it had been hit by a sledgehammer. From a flat-out run (admittedly not real fast: these things aren't built for speed) this Killer Zombie Woodchuck from Hell was apparently blown right off its stubby little feet. It was an impressive display from the Pepper Blaster.

Well, the job had to be wrapped up, so I immediately shoved the Kimber back in my pocket, and with a few assertive swings of the shovel, I put Cujo out of his misery.

Threeband, Aug 28, 2008

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The venom spewed out at the officer and police is frightening. The comments on YT and news is crazy. No common sense. Expecting all possible options to be used on a giant rat! But, not killing it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yup, I worked on a race horse farm where they had acres of rolling hills so the horses would use their legs and when we saw or heard a whistle pig it was game on! No knock/dead or alive/all means necessary. I let my buddy take the shots so I was able to get the hand to hand combat kills. I believe there are laws protecting livestock owners for taking out any other animal disturbing said livestock.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/vid-officer-shoots-groundhog-on-carroll-countys-liberty-road

This has got to be the silliest article ever. It's groundhog, for goodness sakes. Family friends in Michigan shoot them to protect their horses----one step in a hole and there's a dead horse.
    From the article: ""Like I cannot believe I just witnessed this. If you’re not an animal lover, you won’t understand my pain," she wrote. "I may be wrong and he might have been doing his job but all I kept thinking was what if my little niece and nephew were in the car with me seeing this."

I shoot/shot them JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE GROUNDHOGS. We did eat them, so did the dogs. So did the turkey buzzards.

Per my wife's family farm - yeah, one step in a hole by a cow or horse meant the end of that animal. If the hay cutting bar hits a mound it can be an expensive fix for it.

moconnell

Sep 25, 2013
    photo.php

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    There is definitely something going on in the groundhog world that we need to watch carefully. I fear it may be the stirrings of a groundhog uprising.

Just a few hours ago I was attacked by one of the fat furry little bastards. I was mowing someone's lawn and spotted the psychopath about 25 yards away and charging right toward me and the damn mower. I quickly got the mower between myself and the angry varmint when he stopped his charge about 10 feet away. Then we both just stood there staring each other down. I spotted a 3 inch diameter stick a few feet to my side so I slowly backed toward it and retrieved the makeshift club.

Now armed, I advanced slowly to take a swing at it and he turned and ran off in the direction from which he came. But he stopped his retreat after maybe 15 yards, turned and starting staring me down again. I swear he was messing with me. Trying to psych me out.

The thing about a groundhog is he has lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'.

So now I advance again with my stick ready on my shoulder like Babe Ruth trying to get positioned for a shot at him. Then he charges again only a few steps this time before he stops. It was enough, though. He was in range. So I swung that stick as hard as I could and connected with a satisfying thunk!... to the ground about 2 inches in front of his damn head. But my club made a glancing blow with the rodent after bouncing from the earth and it was enough to let him know who was the boss. He turned and ran back to the fence and under it then kept on going.

Fishguy 1, groundhog 0. But I'm under no illusions. He'll be back next week when I mow that yard again. Next time, he may have friends. I can only hope I'll be ready.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sports89man7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2018
    cop halts traffic in BOTH directions and shoots it twice. cop could have put on gloves and picked up and put it on the side of the road... i think that situation could have been handled differently in my opinion...

Mr H

Banana'd
    There is definitely something going on in the groundhog world that we need to watch carefully. I fear it may be the stirrings of a groundhog uprising.

Just a few hours ago I was attacked by one of the fat furry little bastards. I was mowing someone's lawn and spotted the psychopath about 25 yards away and charging right toward me and the damn mower. I quickly got the mower between myself and the angry varmint when he stopped his charge about 10 feet away. Then we both just stood there staring each other down. I spotted a 3 inch diameter stick a few feet to my side so I slowly backed toward it and retrieved the makeshift club.

Now armed, I advanced slowly to take a swing at it and he turned and ran off in the direction from which he came. But he stopped his retreat after maybe 15 yards, turned and starting staring me down again. I swear he was messing with me. Trying to psych me out.

The thing about a groundhog is he has lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'.

So now I advance again with my stick ready on my shoulder like Babe Ruth trying to get positioned for a shot at him. Then he charges again only a few steps this time before he stops. It was enough, though. He was in range. So I swung that stick as hard as I could and connected with a satisfying thunk!... to the ground about 2 inches in front of his damn head. But my club made a glancing blow with the rodent after bouncing from the earth and it was enough to let him know who was the boss. He turned and ran back to the fence and under it then kept on going.

Fishguy 1, groundhog 0. But I'm under no illusions. He'll be back next week when I mow that yard again. Next time, he may have friends. I can only hope I'll be ready.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just did a dramatic reading of this to the Missus... she's still (wood)chuckling.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

You must have been on the USS Whistlepig. I still remember that day. 7 March, 2018. Nine hundred boysenberries go in the woods, three hundred come out. I'll never put on a reflective safety vest again.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A criminally insane Whistlepig with teeth 1.5" long and sharp as fk...

good luck with that

That groundhog will do you up a treat, laddy.

They are all muscle, claws,and teeth.

You have to assume it has rabies.

The one I was forced to kill was very aggressive, repeatedly stalking and charging multiple people on two separate days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom