• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJ 30-06

Nov 3, 2007
    Ok, so I have six backstraps, and four hind quarters. Deer jerky is a done deal with some of the hinds. Looking for suggestions for preparing and cooking meat to minimize gamey flavor and maximize tenderness. I've heard a million suggestions, from soaking in milk to marinating in vinegar to getting hunter's gravy packets to cooking in bacon grease. How bout posting your best recipes and preparations?

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Stewed!

I like it stewed with a hambone for more flavor, with carrots, potatoes and stuff like that in a crock pot..pretty good....

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    First and foremost: A well-placed killing shot !

A long death run, will definitely produce lactose acid and adrenaline.

AJ 30-06

Nov 3, 2007
    How long is a "long death run"? 50 yards? What about the deer that lives for two to three minutes after dropping at point blank?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    First and foremost: A well-placed killing shot!
    A long death run, will definitely produce lactose acid and adrenaline.
    Agreed 100%, there is a definite difference in meat quality when a deer is poorly shot.
    How long is a "long death run"? 50 yards? What about the deer that lives for two to three minutes after dropping at point blank?
    When the deer is shot in the heart, there is no further meaningful circulation and even if it runs a little ways before it falls out, the meat quality is not adversely affected. Likewise a lung shot, where the bolood pressure drops so severely, circulation is almost stopped as well.

When a deer is shot too far back, or in an area that is not immediately vital, it develops chemical changes that Jim Sr mentions as a result of stress. This definitely affects the flavor.

Once a deer is taken, it is then very important to get the body heat out of it as quickly as possible. This means fields dressing as soon as one can, keeping the cavity open, even applying a bag of ice in warmer weather, until it can be skinned and refrigerated.

A younger, well handled deer will taste much better than one that is poorly shot and then improperly handled. Much of the methods of removing the "gamy" flavor of deer is geared toward making an old ("trophy") deer that has not been handled in an optimum manner (hanging in the sun with the skin on in deer camp) palatable enough to be fit to eat.

Another way to ruin venison is to leave the fat and sinew in the meat, which, unlike beef fat, brings a poor flavor to the meat. Be careful of who you get to process your deer, because many unfamiliar butchers will handle it like beef and leave in fat and bone.

I process my own, and have a commercial grinder. I enjoy the better cuts (backstraps/tenderloins) lightly grilled or sauteed with a little onion. The rump steaks are not bad grilled and sauteed too, and again, don't cook it to death. Unless it's a yearling, I seldom make a roast, and anything that doesn't make a decent steak is thoroughly cleaned and double ground for use in chili, spaghetti, lasagna and burgers.

There are so many ways of preparing the meat, and I shoot better than I cook, so I could not begin to address the many excellent methods of preparing venison. I WILL say that most people tend to overcook and thus nearly ruin venison.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Best kabob marinade:

4 parts kikoman teriyaki (not the thick stuff)
    1 part kikoman soy sauce
    2 parts red wine
    1 part state fair spaetzle marinade or good italian dressing.

Adjust proportions to your taste. Add Franks Red hot if you like a little spice. Let it sit overnight.

Grill on skewers with quartered onions and green peppers.

You can also marinade the peppers in the same mix and they are awesome!

i've used this on the toughest rump steak and it's come out like butter.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    A simple thing I have been doing is to take the back straps and put the Montreal Steak seasoning on them. Very peppery (a good thing IMO). Then grill them for about 35-40 min turning every 5-7 min.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Got venison chili in the crock pot right now and back in the stand at 3pm.

buckslugger

Jan 24, 2008
    I always prep my own meat and cut off anything white, gets rid of the game taste , then marinate in ***teriaki and applesauce*** make for an great
    piece of meat that taste like fillet mingon

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Just had a deer pot roast this past weekend. we use a crock pot on low and start it before bed the day before we want it for lunch or dinner.
    Ingredients:
    deer roast
    potatoes
    carrots
    celery
    mushrooms
    1 cup cooking sherry
    1/2 teaspoon rosemary
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    salt & pepper
    water

we stick the roast in and add veggies about 3/4 up in crockpot add sherry and water till it reaches the top of the veggies, got to bed, stir in morning and eat in evening.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    soaking the meat/cover in milk in the fridge overnight takes out the "game" taste...didnt know if anyone out this way has heard of that but it does work...makes the meat tender too...especially when you bread it and deep fry the back straps...yumm

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I highly recommend Stubb's beef marinade for venison. It is an excellent marinade and also comes in chicken and pork varieties. For best results, you want to marinade it at least 24 hrs, but 48-72 is best. Throw it on the grill with some Stubb's Mopping Sauce for excellent results.

Venison Stew-

I've used all different cuts to make the stew, but a roast in probably the best. Use a crock pot. Put the roast in the crock pot. Cut up raw carrots, potatoes (canned potatoes work too), add a couple celery stalks, one or two onions and throw them in the pot. Add water to cover...use judgement based on size of the pot. Throw in a few bay leaves, salt and pepper, and other favorite spices to taste. Turn it on low and the pot does the rest. After six or seven hours, the meat should come apart with a fork.....enjoy.

Chili-

Tailor the amount of all including ground venison to the amount you want to make. This past Saturday I used three packages of ground venison- brown in a pan with onions, green peppers, salt and pepper. Crock pot- 1 large can of tomato puree, three small cans of diced tomatoes with chilis, 1 can of whole tomatoes sliced in half, and two pouches of McCormacks chili seasoning. Add the browned venison and let her cook in the pot for 5-6 hours. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes. Serve over rice or by itself.....enjoy.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    i'd be up for sharing recipies if i'd actually caught one this season. I think its time to buy a new bow (haven't done bow since I was 13 so my bow is too small for my draw now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom