• ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    trick answer
    After reading up on them, Dan Wesson with 8", 6" and 4" barrels

357 is the only cartridge there for big game hunting (Deer plus) I need a long barrel to get a longer sight radius and reach out 50 yards.
    But I want a shorter barrel for normally walking around and self defense.

You need to consider the use.

If there are the ONLY 3 firearms you have, as the only centerfire, the .357 is both self defense, and putting meat on the table.

The Dan Wesson Pistol pack gives you short barrel for self defense and a long barrel for hunting.

The self defense is why I would not want a single action.

And while I love the Python, I would go with something that is fine with a steady diet of full charge rounds.

I would also go with something in stainless for long term life.

While I tend to be a Colt guy, a S&W 66 would probably my choice after the Dan Wesson

Dan Wesson definitely makes a nice pistol, but if you wanted something that was really hella strong enough to take whatever load you wanted to put through it, it would be tough to beat an old S&W Model 27. They have a very slick action, a superb trigger, and it's made on the N frame - the same frame they use for the Model 57 and 29 in 41 and 44 Magnum, respectively. (Some would argue that the N frame was a bit too light for the 44, but it's more than enough for a 357.)

IIRC, the Model 66 is the modern version of the Model 19, right? My Dad LOVED the Model 19 - he thought it was a slick pistol, good balance, good weight, slick action. Some might think that the Model 19 might be bit light - isn't that on the K frame? The 586/686 on the L frame might be a better choice if you wanted to shoot heavy hunting loads too.

It's all academic and conjecture of course. For those who argue that the lighter frames can't handle it, I have a bunch of stout 357 hand loads of my Dad's that I know he shot through his Model 19.

I'll second the 686 as top choice since it's stainless. I love mine with the 4" pipe.

If we consider blued steel, the Model 27 is also terrific, especially because of its trigger. My 27-1 is a better shooter than my 686.

You're killing me with the old Dan Wesson revolver comments. My pop had his FFL back in the early 80's and obtained a three barrel .357 DW for my best friend. I shot the gun back in the day and don't remember it's characteristics, but having three pipe lengths to choose from is nice. He still has the gun all these years later. i keep telling him that if he ever wants to get rid of it, he should give me a call.

I stumbled into an LGS recently and they had the DW with all three barrels available for sale. Everything was there. What to do? All I need is another gun...

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Two excellent 357 revolvers for the intended purpose could be a S&W Highway Patrolman (pictured is a 1954 model, pre-28) or a model 681. Couldn't go wrong with either one, but the HP would be my first choice.

Attachments

• 20191205_095615.jpg
      20191205_095615.jpg
      146.8 KB · Views: 243
    • 20210126_073011.jpg
      20210126_073011.jpg
      138.9 KB · Views: 241

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Ruger GP 100 with 6" barrel (also have 4" barrel) but I like the longer barrel better.

This is probably my 3 rd one. Sold the other two through out the years. Finally got one back.

The holster is M3 for S&W 4" barrel revolver, but I modified it to fit my Ruger. For $15 shipped it works really well. I wore it over my chest (swung over my left) for a few days with no trouble. Although I would like one made out of leather. The other M3 holster is carrying my SRH 44mag with 7.5" barrel.

My .22 pistol is my AR. The .22 conversion kit can be used in either pistol, carbine or full length rifle.

Attachments

• GP 100.jpg
      GP 100.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 232

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Dan Wesson definitely makes a nice pistol, but if you wanted something that was really hella strong enough to take whatever load you wanted to put through it, it would be tough to beat an old S&W Model 27. They have a very slick action, a superb trigger, and it's made on the N frame - the same frame they use for the Model 57 and 29 in 41 and 44 Magnum, respectively. (Some would argue that the N frame was a bit too light for the 44, but it's more than enough for a 357.)
    Two of the reasons people favor the Rugers for sustained firing of .357s is because 1) they have solid frames, and 2) they are easy to take apart and put back together. I don't recall whether the Dan Wesson had a solid frame or not, but they were definitely strong kiss ass revolvers. I didn't particularly like them because they were too heavy, and most of the ones I saw had underlugs; however, even those that didn't were too heavy, though the bluing was superb.

S&W 66 -- Slick!

The one thing that the K-frame Smith's didn't like was the light bullets (110/125gr JHPs). The ammo in the cave had Speer 140 JHPs and most likely were handload, who knows? But even a K-frame should be able to handle 2,500 rounds. To me, the Model 66 no-dash is one of the most beautiful .357s ever made. Bill Jordan really loved the Model 19 and could hit aspirins suspended from strings in rapid fire at 20 feet all day long.

The Ruger Security-Six was about the same size and could survive drops onto hard rocks while the 66s couldn't. The fellow who was a techie at the NRA, (C.E.) Ed Harris, ruined his Model 19 by putting too many 125gr JHPs through it. The first time was after about 2,000 hot handloads/factory loads through it. The second time (another 2,000+), he ruined it for good, to where he had to retire it and use .38s. The cover of the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN was blue and it was in the early 80s, I think, if any of you keep old issues. After that, he was dead set on the Ruger Security-Six, which he wasn't able to destroy. He had a bunch of .357s he tested, including a Llama .357. It was junk, but it helped fill up the page.

IIRC, the Model 66 is the modern version of the Model 19, right? My Dad LOVED the Model 19 - he thought it was a slick pistol, good balance, good weight, slick action. Some might think that the Model 19 might be bit light - isn't that on the K frame? The 586/686 on the L frame might be a better choice if you wanted to shoot heavy hunting loads too.
    He should have tried the Ruger Security-Six, though he was absolutely right. I've never seen a 66 for sale in any store or pawn shop. And I've never seen a 19, either. It was a slick .357, especially with recessed cylinders and a stamped sideplate. Slick. Good word.

It's all academic and conjecture of course. For those who argue that the lighter frames can't handle it, I have a bunch of stout 357 hand loads of my Dad's that I know he shot through his Model 19.
    If he used heavier bullets, it's probably still in use.

Ruger Security-Six.

I love the Rugers because it's the only decent .357 DA revolver I could ever find. When I bought my first revolver, I came this close to not buying the Security-Six because I thought some clown was playing with a name like Luger. Colt I heard of. S&W I heard of, but who are ye? But there was a book store about a block away, and I found a magazine of handgun tests. It gave the Ruger Security-Six a "super A+" rating and said it was the best deal, and one of the strongest, in .357s. So I went back and bought it. Never regretted it.

BTW, the knives I'd pick are the Ontario Marine Raider and the Cold Steel (no relation) Recon 1 clip point w/5-inch blade (CTS-XHP steel).

--

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, the Model 66 is the modern version of the Model 19, right? My Dad LOVED the Model 19 - he thought it was a slick pistol, good balance, good weight, slick action. Some might think that the Model 19 might be bit light - isn't that on the K frame?

If I am remembering correctly, the 66 was a stainless 19.

A stainless steel variant of the Model 19, the Smith & Wesson Model 66, was introduced in 1971.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You're killing me with the old Dan Wesson revolver comments. My pop had his FFL back in the early 80's and obtained a three barrel .357 DW for my best friend. I shot the gun back in the day and don't remember it's characteristics, but having three pipe lengths to choose from is nice. He still has the gun all these years later. i keep telling him that if he ever wants to get rid of it, he should give me a call.

I stumbled into an LGS recently and they had the DW with all three barrels available for sale. Everything was there. What to do? All I need is another gun...

A friend was selling his DW. But only had the 2.5" and I think 8" barrels.

If it had the 4" or 6" also, I probably would have bought it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would be quite content and comfortable using my Blackhawk in a defensive role. CC is not required in the scenario described, so a belt holster would work just fine.

It is not about CC, it is about rate of fire and speed of reload.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    It is not about CC, it is about rate of fire and speed of reload.

Who/what are you repelling? If its ravaging hoards, neither will win the day. 10, 30, or 100 people rushing you, you're gonna die if only armed with either.

Rate of ACCURATE fire is probably not much different. Speed loading? OP didn't indicate speedloaders were left with the gun, so while the DA wins, it's not by a whole lot without pre-loaded speedloaders.

Look, your choice is your choice, mine is mine. Both will work just fine if we're fluent in their use. I am confident in the SA. Hoping never to be stuck in such a situation at all.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Who/what are you repelling? If its ravaging hoards, neither will win the day. 10, 30, or 100 people rushing you, you're gonna die if only armed with either.

Rate of ACCURATE fire is probably not much different. Speed loading? OP didn't indicate speedloaders were left with the gun, so while the DA wins, it's not by a whole lot without pre-loaded speedloaders.

Look, your choice is your choice, mine is mine. Both will work just fine if we're fluent in their use. I am confident in the SA. Hoping never to be stuck in such a situation at all.
    But...but....RICK GRIMES!!!!!!!!!

58933-1532336916.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If...as the OP gave the scenario...it's the end of civilization and you want to survive. To me...that means survival in the absence of order and and any group capable of working for the defense of all. I doubt if a single-action or double-action revolver makes a difference. If there's a "ravaging hoard" out there that could do you harm...the best bet is to remain concealed and avoid contact with them altogether as you're not going to win in a violent confrontation with any less less than a minigun.

The main use of a handgun in the given scenario is more likely harvesting food and animal attacks more than self-defense against other humans...but we all know the chances of that might still be considerable depending on where you're located and the circumstances you find your self in at any given moment.

Again...based upon the OP's premise...you choose what you feel works for you...not anyone else.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    These kind of discussion always go to cross talking quickly , because there is rarely consensus if the nature is primarily one person taking on a battalion of Cuban Paratroopers a la Red Dawn , or wilderness survival *** living off the land .

Assuming a substantial element of the latter , and the mid thread clarification that while * portability * is implied , that Concealment not a factor .

So thereby , in light of the .357 Revolver being the sole " heavy" armament , to include the hunting of large-ish game , Longer is More Better- er . So a +/- 6 inch barrel is advantageous , yet still carriable . Likewise , my preference for Field .22lr autoloaders is for +/- 6 inch bbls for longer sight radius and extra FPS .

First choice , Ruger Blackhawk 6.5in bbl . reasonably comfortable for belt carry , and the epitome of rugged and simple ( as in fewest things to go potentially go wrong , no possibility of damage to crane or ejector system ) . Second choice , any of the usual suspects of 6in DA Revolvers . Ideally a Security Six , but they're not as common as they were .

.22lr pick is a bit more out of current awareness - an S&W M622 or M2206 , 6in .

Due to the design , the 6in guns have very similar OAL to most 4in centerfire , very flat( thin) , and light weight . Better triggers and better accuracy , longer sight radius, and lighter weight than out of the box Rugers . But if an M622 is too obscure to locate one , then a Browning Buckmark .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom