• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Many years ago I had about 12 different calibers, 2-3 guns in those calibers and all the other stuff to go with them. Being transferred all over, it became difficult to maintain everything and military shipping was becoming a PITA. In the early 80s I decided to down size. I sold all but a couple of guns, I kept a 30/30, 12 gauge and a WWII 45 APC which ended up selling as I needed cash. After I retired I decided to get some new guns. I started to think long term as life is short term and decided to keep a lot less calibers and the rounds that have been around. I decided on 22, 30/30, 12 gauge and 40 caliber. l later added a 45/70 and 50 caliber S&W magnum. So now I buy guns in those calibers only, as they best suit my need.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In general, I have always stayed with military calibers for most firearms.

.45, 9mm, ,223, .308.

I do have a few on other calibers. And I do have dies for every caliber I have a firearm for. But many of those are 1 or 2 in that caliber, and not ones I shoot a lot. I can reload them, but don't shoot them enough to bother. And while I have some ammo for them, not like for the main 4.

I do plan on adding a .40/.357SIG to the mix, because, like has been mentioned, 40 seems available when others are not.

Malachi.2.15

Jan 27, 2011
    I also decided to consolidate down on calibers to keep my logistics simple. Not only did I consolidate down on calibers, I consolidated my firearm types as well so that I didn't have a whole slew of different magazines.

Makes it very easy to stock up on ammo and mags.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I recall seeing prepper types suggesting that the best caliber of firearms to keep on hand were those like 9mm, 5.56 and 22lr, since they are the most prevalent.

Times like this turn logic on its head, though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I seem to be continually expanding. Not sure how many calibers I have.

sundaeman

MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I recall seeing prepper types suggesting that the best caliber of firearms to keep on hand were those like 9mm, 5.56 and 22lr, since they are the most prevalent.

Times like this turn logic on its head, though.
    Very true, easier to find.458 socom, .357sig, .338lm and and 50bmg at the moment and percentage wise the prices have not gone up as much.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I also decided to consolidate down on calibers to keep my logistics simple. Not only did I consolidate down on calibers, I consolidated my firearm types as well so that I didn't have a whole slew of different magazines.

Makes it very easy to stock up on ammo and mags.

It's not a bad approach. Simple is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Different strokes and all that.

Even in flush times for ammo, I personally can't think of anything that would bore the hell out of me more, than a constant diet of nothing other than 9mm and .556. Maybe that's just me.

9mm, 5.56, 300 B.O. even 45acp get boring..
    consolidate it's a little hard when you got a bunch of Contender barrels.
    the common ones just really don't interest me anymore. Now 50 BMG
    the Herrett's / JDJ's / 218 Bee / 256 Win Mag and others do...the big boys
    get bored and cast boolits, make some out of 22 LR cases, there's more to
    reloading than 9mm / 5.56 / 6.5 CM / 300 BO, and shooting them...
    but hey that's just me...

-Rock

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    I don't yet reload but am in the middle of consolidating as well, for many of the same reasons. As for the young ones shooting a ton of ammo, a 10-round 22 LR bolt-action might slow them down by a few rounds a second.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Every new caliber is a new opportunity. And when someone says I can't find any ammo for XYZ I say "Do you want to sell it?" I would prefer to have something that will shoot any ammo I can find and/or be able to reload for any gun I happen to acquire rather than be limited to a few choices. Kind of like large and small primers in .45 ACP, if you have some brass of each type then when small pistol primers are unobtanium you reload the large pistol primer brass. The best way to keep shooting is to be able to shoot anything.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Me consolidating? More like streamlining calibers to my purposefulness like 9mm and 22LR. the other calibers like 45ACP, 380, 38 Special and 357 Magnum take a back seat to on occasional shooting. Enter 41 and 44 Magnums for special outdoor occasions.
    My ace in the hole is reloading for them all. My consolidation for a reloading powder is 8 pounds of Titegroup.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I've decided not to get any other calibers since I already have too many....
    12ga
    9mm

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    I had the intent of consolidating, but still ended up buying a new caliber lever action this weekend. Best laid plans...

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Me consolidating? More like streamlining calibers to my purposefulness like 9mm and 22LR. the other calibers like 45ACP, 380, 38 Special and 357 Magnum take a back seat to on occasional shooting. Enter 41 and 44 Magnums for special outdoor occasions.
    My ace in the hole is reloading for them all. My consolidation for a reloading powder is 8 pounds of Titegroup.

Focusing on a powder is smart. I use IMR Target for 380, 9, 38 Special, 357 Mag, and 45 ACP. I have Trail Boss for my 45 LC.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Phew. I wish I could shoot 1,000 rounds a month. I think even at my height I don’t think I’ve shot more than 400 or 500 in a particularly busy month.

At any rate, sort of. I have hit the point where I don’t think I want any more calibers. Or it’ll be only a couple more.

Currently running 22lr, .32acp, 9x18, 9x19, 38spc, 7.62x25, .45acp, .30 carbine, .223, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, .308, .30-06, .410 and 12ga.

I had an 8mm Mauser, sold it. Still have the ammo. Might or might not get a K98 some day.

Almost certainly getting a .357 magnum at some point. Going to get something more powerful than .30-06 some day. Looking at probably a 300wsm. Might get a 6.5CM. Maybe a 45LC or 44 mag eventually.

Might get out of 7.62x25 eventually. Might not. Probably will drop the .410 when my kids are older. Some year I’ll likely ratchet it back. Hopefully though that’s a few decades from now when I am thinking strongly of only owning a couple of guns and offloading my collection on my kids.

For reloading, yeah it’s a lot. That said I get it done with 5 powders and could probably do it with 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom