• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    After being very successful with Whitetails, I got the itch last year to go after Sika deer. We got the deer rights on our waterfowl lease this year and I was excited. I've learned a lot about them since the start of the season and I must say they are very different from whitetails. I've been hunting different area's on the farm, and have a very good relationship with the farmer who's been letting me know where's he's seeing them.

On saturday i saw some Sika hinds that moved inland a little after the heavy storms yesterday and decided to hunt a stand of Pines which is between the 2 marsh area's on the property. being one of the few sundays we can legally hunt I took advantage of it and got to the farm early like normal. got my stuff ready and as quietly as possible walked to my stand in the dark without using a flashlight as to not spoke any deer that might be in the area. I got up in my stand and set up well before sunrise and sat there waiting. About 7:45 I saw a dark shadow to my left trying to sneak threw and knew I might finally have my chance at a Sika. But couldn't tell if it was a stag or not. He was coming to my left and I drew back and when he stepped into a clearing I saw his antlers and couldn't believe he was a decent stag. I quickly rested my 30 yard pin on him and let my arrow fly. I heard it hit, and knew it was a good shot.

I watched him run as far as i could see ( which wasn't far ) and sat there and waited to give him time to expire. I got down and found my arrow 30 min later and saw tons of blood and had a good blood trail leading right to the marsh. I backed out as I'm sure he wouldn't be far in but wanted to make sure as to not push him. I went in about an hour and a half after the shot to find him dead 15 yards in. needless to say I was very happy, as was the farmer who's wanted to see me get a Sika. And was very excited to take the pictures for me.

DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What do they weigh field dressed? Do they taste any different than a white tail? Nice to have that type of relationship with the land owner. Good job.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    What do they weigh field dressed? Do they taste any different than a white tail? Nice to have that type of relationship with the land owner. Good job.

Thanks, A large stag will get to 80-100 lb and the Hinds 50-60 is average. Compared to whitetails they are much smaller. The Meat is much much better then whitetail. It's funny the land owner gets along with me great and we talk all the time. But the other members in the club he doesn't talk to. When they call to let them know they will be hunting they all get the voicemail. Even the president of the club, but when I call he picks right up.

somoss said:
    congratulations
    still working on the white tails....

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have always wanted to hunt Sitka (Japanese Elk family). I haven't even ever seen one. Are they buggling?

Nice animal.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    You can hunt sika with your AR LOL, Dorchester is a rifle county. Season runs same as MD's modern firearms whitetail season, but you can only take 1 stag and 1 hind during each season type ( bow, muzzle, modern gun).

Can't tell, but does that stag have a full beard and a mane? I heard any taken north of Blackwater are scraggly stags, and any from Blackwater and south have the full manes and beards.

pic 1 north of blackwater, pic 2 south

Attachments

• sika2011uglyfur1.jpg
      sika2011uglyfur1.jpg
      101.9 KB · Views: 629
    • sikaB2a.jpg
      sikaB2a.jpg
      115 KB · Views: 395

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    Good job!!!! :thumbsup: I know you've been wanting one of them for a while. Happy to see you got it done.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Congratulations! You're having it mounted, right? Can you rifle hunt Sika's? I'd bet a .223 would be plenty.

Some day, I'll get a place to deer hunt...

Yup he's getting mounted. As for the .223 legally yes, but I would want something bigger simply because tracking them in the marsh can be fun to say the least.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Congratulations on a nice Sika! I hunted Blackwater Refuge years ago and saw a few.
    It felt like being in Vietnam, only cold! Way to go on yours!!

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    You can hunt sika with your AR LOL, Dorchester is a rifle county. Season runs same as MD's modern firearms whitetail season, but you can only take 1 stag and 1 hind during each season type ( bow, muzzle, modern gun).

Can't tell, but does that stag have a full beard and a mane? I heard any taken north of Blackwater are scraggly stags, and any from Blackwater and south have the full manes and beards.

pic 1 north of blackwater, pic 2 south

He has a very nice mane, which was very thick with a nice beard, and much better looking then any at the taxidermy. From what he told me Sika's loose their manes as the season goes on and by december it doesn't look good at all. I'll PM you where I shot him.

2Asales&Supplies said:
    Good job!!!! I know you've been wanting one of them for a while. Happy to see you got it done.

Thanks Mark, now just to get one with the .300 :thumbsup:.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    some sika towards the elliot island area go 135lb dressed. dad shot one last year that went 85. i thought that was huge til i saw the 135 one. didnt even look like a normal sika.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Most good spots do. Have you gotten a chance to do any Sika hunting yet this year?

Went out 4 or 5 times, passed on everything. They are a dime a dozen on a few of our properties. Haven't seen any big stags, but we know they are there. We see them on the trail cams and on the walls lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom