Whats the process you would go through to buy/build your modern day AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigplayer2382

Jan 18, 2013
    Salisbury
    My buddy wants an AR. I originally was going to send him this:
    https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1236/
    but I remembered our laws changed and its not going to be that easy.

If you were to buy/build an AR (he wants to build as little as possible, but still wants a real nice AR):

-Would you recommend him buy a stripped lower?
    -Then register it as a pistol?
    -If he registers it as a pistol, can he put on any barrel that he wants?
    -As a pistol you can use any grip as long as its over 26" right?
    - If he were to switch it to a rifle, does he have to re-register it? or do you just swap out the stock? If you do this, I assume you have to swap the barrel to heavy?

Walk me through your step by step recommendations please!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Jesus....

Select stripped lower
    Fill out 77r
    Wait 7 days
    Pick up lower
    Buy parts to finish lower
    Buy parts to finish upper
    Put parts in lower
    Put parts in upper
    Put upper and lower together
    Put in safe after lubricating properly with Mobil 1 Synthetic
    Take out of safe on range day
    Shoot new AR at range and enjoy 'Merica

There is no registration and re-registration thing like you are thinking. The 77r registers it to you as a receiver. If he wants a rifle, let him build a rifle. If he ants an AR pistol, let him build an AR pistol.

EDIT:
    I just saw the price tag for the one in the link. Bag that crap. I can build an AR for 800-900 that will beat the daylights out of that thing.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Just put it all together without understanding how all the parts interact with one another. Their like erector sets that way. Universal drop-in components.

Take it to the range, dry as toast, and shoot the snot out of it. Cuzz they're modern guns and don't need no lubrication.

Cuss, kick, and scream at all the failure to feeds, spent brass stuck in the chamber, and shattered spring bits residing inside the buffer tube.

Come back here and ask Whahappin'.

Pitchers are optional.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Buy a stripped lower
    Make sure it's listed as "other"
    He can build it out as a pistol first, then redo as a rifle and he can always return
    to pistol configuration. If he builds it as a rifle first he can never build a pistol out of it.
    he needs to make sure he puts a heavy barrel on it

bigplayer2382

Jan 18, 2013
    Salisbury
    Just put it all together without understanding how all the parts interact with one another. Their like erector sets that way.

Take it to the range, dry as toast, and shoot the snot out of it. Cuzz they're modern guns and don't need no lubrication.

Cuss, kick, and scream at all the failure to feeds, spent brass stuck in the chamber, and shattered spring bits residing inside the buffer tube.

Come back here and ask Whahappin'.

Pitchers are optional.

Oh, thanks! I have never touched a weapon before, nor built a few of them, so I am so glad I have a clear path of how to build a weapon. This was great advice on the "Maryland 2A" forums.

Tool. This post is obviously about the legality of the build, not looking for a 'how-to'. Its shocking the amount of confidence people like you have on the interwebs when your speaking to the unknown. Do you talk to random people in person like this? Put your post count aside and why don't you reflect on yourself and become a little more humble. I am far from new, but had I actually been, you would be an unbecoming, yet unfortunately accurate, representation of shooting enthusiasts.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Oh, thanks! I have never touched a weapon before, nor built a few of them, so I am so glad I have a clear path of how to build a weapon. This was great advice on the "Maryland 2A" forums.

tool. This post is obviously about the legality, not looking for a 'how-to'. Put your post count aside and why don't you reflect on yourself and start becoming a little more humble. I am far from new, but had I actually been, you would be an unbecoming, yet unfortunately accurate, representation of shooting enthusiasts.

My post was in jest.

Based on the zillion or so AR15s built on here that didn't function properly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    KISS. Let your friend buy a decent(Colt or Windam) AR and have fun. Sooner or later, he will be customizing the crap out of it. Then it will be time to enroll himself into a SOTAR class and LEARN the platform properly.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    KISS. Let your friend buy a decent(Colt or Windam) AR and have fun. Sooner or later, he will be customizing the crap out of it. Then it will be time to enroll himself into a SOTAR class and LEARN the platform properly.

Couldn't agree more!
    AND, for the price shown in the link in the OP, he can buy one of each.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    That ADM rifle you linked has a bunch of nice features. Citerion barrels have a great rep(Never used one and doesn’t seem to be MD legal), Magpul pros which I love, nicely packaged Ambi lower with Geissele trigger and rapture charging handle. All together with a nice rail and put together by a good company that makes nice mounts. If you like ,it buy the lower and maybe matching stripped upper and build around that. I’ve been considering one of their lowers for my next build.

Recent Garandthumb review.
    https://youtu.be/awZ8DB5p3gk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Jeez just go buy a Windham M4 and call it a day. 4473 cash and carry.

Buy it out of state if you want.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Jesus....

Select stripped lower
    Fill out 77r
    Wait 7 days
    Pick up lower
    or Mill lower 0% lower or 80% lower
    Buy milling machine or Jig whichever one you can afford
    Buy Vise
    Buy Router if Milling machine is out of question
    some machining oil....

Buy parts to finish lower
    Buy parts to finish upper
    Put parts in lower
    Put parts in upper
    Put upper and lower together
    Put in safe after lubricating properly with Mobil 1 Synthetic
    Take out of safe on range day
    Shoot new AR at range and enjoy 'Merica

There is no registration and re-registration thing like you are thinking. The 77r registers it to you as a receiver. If he wants a rifle, let him build a rifle. If he ants an AR pistol, let him build an AR pistol.

EDIT:
    I just saw the price tag for the one in the link. Bag that crap. I can build an AR for 800-900 that will beat the daylights out of that thing.

added some different steps to the mix...
    and if you got the crap laying around before the "AR15" gotta haves hit, you
    can build them cheaper...;) Like Sendra lowers...parts.. etc...many...many moons ago....
    have fun...

-Rock

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Tool. This post is obviously about the legality of the build, not looking for a 'how-to'. Its shocking the amount of confidence people like you have on the interwebs when your speaking to the unknown. Do you talk to random people in person like this? Put your post count aside and why don't you reflect on yourself and become a little more humble. I am far from new, but had I actually been, you would be an unbecoming, yet unfortunately accurate, representation of shooting enthusiasts.

Well you did request info regarding process to buy/build.

He responded to the question. For that he was tooled?

bigplayer2382

Jan 18, 2013
    Salisbury
    That ADM rifle you linked has a bunch of nice features. Citerion barrels have a great rep(Never used one and doesn’t seem to be MD legal), Magpul pros which I love, nicely packaged Ambi lower with Geissele trigger and rapture charging handle. All together with a nice rail and put together by a good company that makes nice mounts. If you like ,it buy the lower and maybe matching stripped upper and build around that. I’ve been considering one of their lowers for my next build.

Recent Garandthumb review.
    https://youtu.be/awZ8DB5p3gk

:lol2: Ive always built my own, and recommended him build his as well. I even offered to help him build it, but he played the "great you build it for me, then I'll go that route. Otherwise just tell me a good one and I'll buy it." A month later I saw that review from Garand and was like great I'll just send him this one to buy.

Then of course MD laws came into play and I remembered it may not be that easy anymore so figured I'd ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom