• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Thanks for advice...did all of this come about in 2013 or back in 2004? I moved into MD in June of 2013 so I dodged the October 2013 registration requirements. When MD banned stuff in 2004, were there regulated firearms? Or was that just 2013? Sorry for the ignorance.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    too bad he didn't gift it to you back when you lived with him... i wonder how someone could prove that didn't happen?

and serious question, if i'm a merrylander and for some reason LEO came to be aware of some guns i have, do i have to prove i got them legally or is it on the LEO to prove if they thought or wanted to check i didn't get them legally?

You realize how little local LE know these laws? I have family that are local LE that ask me about these gun laws that I barely understand. I know one that thinks mere posession of 30 rn mags is illegal now lol. No one is coming after you. People get so paranoid with these laws.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    too bad he didn't gift it to you back when you lived with him... i wonder how someone could prove that didn't happen?

and serious question, if i'm a merrylander and for some reason LEO came to be aware of some guns i have, do i have to prove i got them legally or is it on the LEO to prove if they thought or wanted to check i didn't get them legally?

The State would have to prove that you did something illegal.

The problem is you'll be paying a lawyer the whole time they're trying to do it!

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    The State would have to prove that you did something illegal.

The problem is you'll be paying a lawyer the whole time they're trying to do it!

can play what if scenarios all day long.

How many people have actually been charged with this in MD? How often do you see Joe Smoe in court for buying a Gov profile barrel AR or borrowing dad’s rifle from another state?

More likely to get in a car accident than you are to be charged for any of these idiotic and unenforceable laws.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for advice...did all of this come about in 2013 or back in 2004? I moved into MD in June of 2013 so I dodged the October 2013 registration requirements. When MD banned stuff in 2004, were there regulated firearms? Or was that just 2013? Sorry for the ignorance.

The bulk of what we are talking about was part of the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013," which took effect 10/1/13.

Maryland has a class of firearms called "regulated firearms." This includes all handguns and certain rifles (the "named" rifles in the big list). Prior to 10/1/13 all transfers of "regulated firearms" in MD had to be done through either an FFL or the MSP.

After 10/1/13, all of the "regulated firearms" that were rifles became banned outright (you can continue to possess them, but can't transfer them except as inheritance upon death) along with a bunch of other rifles, because the FSA2013 also introduced the feature test and the OAL test to determine if a rifle is banned or not. The law has not changed regarding handguns at all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If he lives in MD, other than a full time student or active duty military, he is an MD resident.

If he still has his NC DL after something like 90 days, he is in violation of other laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom