Where to donate taxidermy/mounts/trophies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    A relative is downsizing after a life of hunting, and even after distributing things among family, they still have a full house of stuff to get rid of. Dozens of antlers and skulls (deer, elk, moose, and caribou); full body mounts of a cougar, a brown bear, coyote, and sable; and assorted trophies from multiple trips to Africa.

They are not interested in trading or selling the few items that it would be legal to sell, they just want it all gone. Plan B is a trip to the dump and that would be a shame. Any ideas on where one could donate this sort of stuff?

The relative is moving from Texas to Virginia, so options on either end of that trip would be preferred. But they also have a truck and some free time, so a road trip for delivery isn't out of the question.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'd gladly drive to VA to take deer/elk/moose/carboy antlers off their hands. They'll have a good home.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am also looking to dump a couple deer heads at times as my collection 'upgrades'.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I am a member of a club that is in need of new taxidermy mounts for the clubhouse. We're mostly looking for a good buck mount and some waterfowl...but I think we'd be happy to take just about anything off your hands. The one thing is we try to keep it to species are native to Maryland. Could you please private message me if you still have things to get rid of?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'll take the bear and cougar and leave them in my mother in laws house. I'll even post a hidden video of her reaction.

I'm serious. Then I'll bring them home.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What sort of skulls? If there's a big brown bear skull and a decent sized black bear skull, I'll take them. Would like paperwork with them, even if just the tag #'s and a pic of the tags if you want to keep them with the mounts. DNR can be pretty sniffy when it comes to bears. Caribou and moose antlers are another I'd be interested in. African horns too. Hell load all the skulls, elk/caribou/moose antlers and horns and pelts up and let me pick through them. A warthog skull, baboon skull, hyena skull, jackal skull- all of interest.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    OP hasn't posted here but he responded to my PM. His relative is looking at donating to a nature center local to him so y'all can call off the dogs.
    Big tease this was, lol.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    A sincere thanks for all the suggestions. I certainly didn't expect so much personal interest in the items, but it's appreciated. I think I've finally caught up with the private messages.

I should have clarified that the relative's goal was to donate as much as possible locally (in Texas) before the move to save on costs. He's going to run through local nature centers and lodges and such and give away all he can. I have impressed on him that there is a lot of interest in the trophies up here, and to please not let anything go to waste.

Hopefully whatever goes unwanted in Texas will make it to Virginia, and from there to Maryland in my car over time. If you've expressed and interest in this thread or by PM, you're on "the list" for anything that's left.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Stephen M

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom