• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Little backstory, went this past saturday to MSAR with a co-worker to have a quick little session. I have a 30-06 M1917, he has a M&P 10 with a brake and some other goodies. We got into the section of range first, got set up, and his first shot rocked the room. The guys that had just arrived were put next to us, and one guy for some reason hadnt put his ear protection on yet and shot us a look like we had just punched the pope. Im kinda in the "dont go to a range if you want peace and quiet" camp, but after looking at some other forums people that shoot brakes in ranges seem to get a lot of hate, ranging from if youre not competing you don't need one or if you have one on anything less than a .300 win mag anyways you're a giant *****. Did we commit some range faux pas I'm not familiar about? I could see warning people if its a huge caliber with break since it might blow stuff off the table, but anything less is it THAT bad? Any advice for next time?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm sorry, is this an indoor range?
    People can get twitchy in indoor ranges and muzzle brakes. Outdoor ranges are GTG in my opinion.
    Who walks up to a firing line without their pro on? Indoors or out. That's just stupid.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Indoor range. And yeah, he and his group o' buddies had some other nice habits, one handed revolver/handgun shooting, etc. Not sideways at least, but still one handed.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Shooting an AR at an indoor range is going to be deafeningly loud whether you are using a break or not. I always double up for indoor ranges. If they were dumb enough to walk through the door without ear pro, it's the own fault unless there was some sort of ceasefire time that you didn't abide by.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Any fault goes to the guy not wearing ear protection and the employee(s) who didn't make the person put it on before going in.

This.

Several indoor ranges around here now allow up to 50BMG indoors. Which makes the walls shake, and you 100% need a brake for that. Also, if you are next to a guy shooting 50 bmg outdoors (been there done that at AGC on a crowded day), its not better outdoors. I have also been peppered with hot brass from a mini-14. It is what it is. If you go to a public range, you may not like the company. I am sure I have given lots of wind and peppered people with brass too. I have brakes on almost all my rifles, including my AR. I even found one for my slug gun. Brakes are excellent technology. Haters and luddites are going to hate.

Brakes or no brakes, its deafening at an indoor range, I always double up.

Do I need a brake? No. Besides the fact thats its my constitutional right to own whatever i want because **** you, they also make follow up shots offhand much quicker. And also they look bad ass.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Indoor range. And yeah, he and his group o' buddies had some other nice habits, one handed revolver/handgun shooting, etc. Not sideways at least, but still one handed.

I'm pretty sure the guy walked through 2 doors, both saying that hearing protection was required to go through them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You will meet some of the most unreasonable A-holes in the world at public ranges, especially indoor. Walking to the line without ears is a stupid game, has nobody to blame but himself that you awarded the prize. I remember one of the best was at Continental, a guy took his ears off, and answered the phone while on the line, I saw it and stopped to see if he would walk out the door quickly, he didn't. Guy next to me shot, the guy on the phone started yelling to be quiet, then pretty much everyone on the line did a mag dump, he grabbed his stuff and walked out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You will meet some of the most unreasonable A-holes in the world at public ranges, especially indoor. Walking to the line without ears is a stupid game, has nobody to blame but himself that you awarded the prize. I remember one of the best was at Continental, a guy took his ears off, and answered the phone while on the line, I saw it and stopped to see if he would walk out the door quickly, he didn't. Guy next to me shot, the guy on the phone started yelling to be quiet, then pretty much everyone on the line did a mag dump, he grabbed his stuff and walked out.

:lol2::lol2:

wow, how stupid is that?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't think the OP did anything wrong. I get that it kind of sucks when someone is firing an obscenely loud firearm next to you. I've been the guy doing it, and I've been the guy catching the blast. I may be in the minority, but I think hearing protection, just like any other form of self protection, is a personal responsibility. I can't control what other people are going to do at a range, so I always double up on earpro (foamies and noise cancelling muffs), indoor or outdoor. If I'm shooting suppressed centerfire outdoors, I will typically still use one layer (noise cancelling muffs). Because I am a big ol baby about my hearing.

Incidentally the last time anyone gave me a piece of their mind regarding the loudness of a particular firearm, I was able to buy their forgiveness by letting them fire the offending weapon a few times. He agreed that it was a ton of fun, went back to his range session, and left for the day with a big ol grin on his face.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Yeah once that first braked AR10 shot flew his ear protection went on right quick. Personally I think obscenely loud guns are just part of the charm. In the 18 years I've been employed I've set with the public for 15 going on 16, and I'm well aware of unreasonable assholes everywhere. As long as I wasn't part of a group being unreasonable assholes!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    :lol2::lol2:

wow, how stupid is that?

Go to the range enough, and stuff happens, even private ranges, part of the reason common sense and situational awareness in addition to the 4 rules is so important. Guaranteed, almost every year, hunters will walk from field to field in a spot just behind the 100 yard berm at my town's private rifle range. Private property, posted signs everywhere on the boundry, there are farm fields and woods on both sides, most of the boundry has a wire fence, they cross at a gap or a cattle gate in that spot. Nothing like aiming at a target, and seeing some guy oblivious to it wandering about 10' away from the spot you are aiming.

It's a private club, some older retired folks go there just to hang out and escape their wives, they almost never actually shoot. Most of the time they are awesome, just want to talk with a like minded soul, trade a couple stories, maybe pull some weeds around the berms, and on a couple occasions will go dig some heirloom firearm out of their trunk and let you shoot it. The range is usually empty outside of hunting season you will probably be shooting by yourself, which I thought was the case one evening after work last summer. Got there, looked around quick, set up. I was just test firing my 3 gun rifle, so would shoot at the steel already downrange. I fired, heard a crash and someone screaming, scared the absolute crap out of me. One of the "senior" members apparently fell asleep in a lawn chair in the back corner of the range structure where we store target stands, about 20' behind me to my right, knocked over a pile of 2x4s. Both of us laughed about it, but lesson learned ALWAYS check the range THOROUGHLY before shooting.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Kind of on a side note, why is there so much hate about brakes? I get them being "rude at indoor ranges I suppose, but considering they do help considerably even on small calibers what's the problem?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You will meet some of the most unreasonable A-holes in the world at public ranges, especially indoor.

Some private ranges too.

OP, if the employees at MSAR saw what you were shooting before you went in (I don't know if they want to see what you are shooting there or not) and let you go in and did not say anything the you did nothing wrong.

+1 on no ear pro walking into an indoor range is just not very wise.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Nah they just ask you what you are shooting and inspect your ammo, they asked what calibers we had but never asked to see the guns.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Kind of on a side note, why is there so much hate about brakes? I get them being "rude at indoor ranges I suppose, but considering they do help considerably even on small calibers what's the problem?
    They're pretty rough on people to the sides of them. I personally don't run brakes on anything - maybe a comp if I feel the need - but it's their right to do so. I remember when I was a new shooter and used to pop off my M44, now that was some blast.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Probably the same ass hole that will ride the shoulder to get into a backup a few cars ahead of us normal people, and probably gives people the finger when they don't let him in line right away when stuck in traffic also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom