• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Leave the family alone, they don't speak for Eugene Stoner ...

Family of AR-15 Inventor Eugene Stoner: He Didn't Intend It for Civilians

And Mikhail Kalashnikov didn't intend his AK47 to be used for mass murders of civilians in Paris and Belgium either ... so what's your fvcking point NBC ? :mad54:

"Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," the Stoner family told NBC News late Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

and so is everyone else ...

The inventor's surviving children and adult grandchildren spoke exclusively to NBC News by phone and email, commenting for the first time on their family's uneasy legacy. They requested individual anonymity in order to speak freely about such a sensitive topic. They also stopped short of policy prescriptions or legal opinions.

But THAT's not what the headline BLASTS for the echo chamber to reverberate.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For the love of God. At the time he designed it, he had to know that civilians could buy the full-f'ing-auto version of it!!!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Utter crap.

I'm related to George Washington, Jefferson, Patton, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Mother Teresa (more utter crap, I'm not in any way) and he/she would strongly support the 2A as we see it. So there!:D

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    From that piece:

"But after Stoner's death in 1997, at the age of 74, a semi-automatic version of the AR-15 became a civilian bestseller, too, spawning dozens of copy-cat weapons. The National Rifle Association has taken to calling it "America's rifle."

1. Civilian version.
    2. After his death.

So, he expressed an opinion about something that didn't exist when he was alive?
    And, the civilian version should be banned because the military version was designed for war?

Hmmm... Let's apply the same logic to the 1941 Willy's Jeep and see how the Left responds to that.
    Both Jeep and the entire SUV industry were derived from it.

-And then there's: GPS. Relinquish your Garmins and Magellans.
    -Freeze-drying.
    -Duct Tape
    -Microwaves

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Yeah, they only intended them to be used for the mass murder of civilians by a rogue government...OK, gotch ya.

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    In the early 80s I had an AR15 and was 17 years old, bought it on my own from a friend after selling my mini-14 to another friend. Had two other friends that built a pair of CAR15s together from parts ordered through Shotgun News. We had unfettered access to amazing weapons in our mid teens and had some extremely fun times. Still to this day kick myself for not buying an HK91 from a friend when he joined the Army... missed out on that one. Sold the AR to my recruiter for $250 and some creative paperwork to get my E2 stripe on the referral program. Never to early to learn the system. Guns, Shotgun News, Soldier of Fortune magazine, President Reagan, I miss the USA.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    In the early 80s I had an AR15 and was 17 years old, bought it on my own from a friend after selling my mini-14 to another friend. Had two other friends that built a pair of CAR15s together from parts ordered through Shotgun News. We had unfettered access to amazing weapons in our mid teens and had some extremely fun times. Still to this day kick myself for not buying an HK91 from a friend when he joined the Army... missed out on that one. Sold the AR to my recruiter for $250 and some creative paperwork to get my E2 stripe on the referral program. Never to early to learn the system. Guns, Shotgun News, Soldier of Fortune magazine, President Reagan, I miss the USA.

Amen!:thumbsup:

From that piece:

"But after Stoner's death in 1997, at the age of 74, a semi-automatic version of the AR-15 became a civilian bestseller, too, spawning dozens of copy-cat weapons. The National Rifle Association has taken to calling it "America's rifle."

1. Civilian version.
    2. After his death.

So, he expressed an opinion about something that didn't exist when he was alive?
    The Colt SP-1 semi-automatic AR-15 was offered to the civilian market in 1963.

Up to that point, "AR-15" model 601 was the select fire weapon which became the M16. The 601 was 14 twist, the 602 was 12. The model 603 became the M16A1, which introduced the forward assist at the Army's insistence.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    The families point is Stoner designed the AR for the express purpose of it being used by the military.
    They aren't expressing any opinion one way or another about whether people should be allowed to own them/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The now passe* wood stock bolt action rifles* were invented for various militaries, and were state of the art military arms. For that matter lever action Spencers and Henrys were sold to US Military during Civil War, and later Winchester had a degree of sucuess selling to European militaries.

All firearms R&D is a symbotic two way street between civillians and Militaries.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    The families point is Stoner designed the AR for the express purpose of it being used by the military.
    They aren't expressing any opinion one way or another about whether people should be allowed to own them/

Agreed, but that's NOT how NBC portrays it in the headline or lede, which is what most people see on social media and snippets (The trending column on the left or right of a search engine page). Hello Adult ADHD ...

The now passe* wood stock bolt action rifles* were invented for various militaries, and were state of the art military arms. For that matter lever action Spencers and Henrys were sold to US Military during Civil War, and later Winchester had a degree of sucuess selling to European militaries.

All firearms R&D is a symbotic two way street between civillians and Militaries.

Agreed, but how do WE get the TRUTH out. This is a new twist on an old gun-grabber tactic. The media duped the great unwashed with 'assault rifle' (e.g. auto vs. semi-auto) until we started educating people, but it's still a prevalent meme. And our counter to this new tactic needs to be short and as easy to understand as our counter to the 'assault rifle' differences.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The AR really didn't take off as a military firearm right off the bat. Developed by Stoner while working for the Fairchild Armalite Corp in the 50s as the Ar10. It wasn't really popular. A Few banana republics bought it, but designs like the FAL and m14 was the standard for those days. To offer an alternative to the M14. The ar10 was scaled down to the ar15. Then Armalite sold the patent to Colt. At this time, the AR15 was marketed to civilians while Colt was trying to get a military contract. Initial batches of military rifles were marked as AR15 instead of m16. The AR was first adopted by Malaysia , then the US airforce in Vietnam , the rest is history . So, in my opinion. The AR15 was initially a civilian firearm, chambered for the civilian .223 Remington round only got militarized when it was drafted in the Vietnam War. The AR15 was the father of the M16. Not the other way around .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm not going to take my history lesson from Stoner's, thank you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The AR really didn't take off as a military firearm right off the bat. Developed by Stoner while working for the Fairchild Armalite Corp in the 50s as the Ar10. It wasn't really popular. A Few banana republics bought it, but designs like the FAL and m14 was the standard for those days. To offer an alternative to the M14. The ar10 was scaled down to the ar15. Then Armalite sold the patent to Colt. At this time, the AR15 was marketed to civilians while Colt was trying to get a military contract. Initial batches of military rifles were marked as AR15 instead of m16. The AR was first adopted by Malaysia , then the US airforce in Vietnam , the rest is history . So, in my opinion. The AR15 was initially a civilian firearm, chambered for the civilian .223 Remington round only got militarized when it was drafted in the Vietnam War. The AR15 was the father of the M16. Not the other way around .

Pesky facts.

I wonder if the Stoner family is still involved in the Stoner company who sells AR rifles to civilians. Of course, you can't trust what they say. They are all a bunch of Stoners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom