• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    well i just picked up another rifle remington 700 in 300 win mag, and would like some advice on some good optics for it. I've been looking at the leupold VX-3, and bushnell elite 4200 series scope's. I'm not dead set on those, but would like something that can handle the recoil and abuse of hunting. this is going to be a hunting rifle and i really don't have any plans to shoot 1000 yards with this rifle as i have others better suited for that. also what's everyone using for ring's and bases ? i was thinking about just picking up a 2 peice base and rings from leupold, are there any out there better? i don't mind spending a little bit more money as i would like to just but everything once.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I have the Leupold VX3 on my Anschutz with Talley rings and like the setup. I liked the VX3 enough that I took the Mark2 off my SPS and put the VX3 on it as well. I bought the fine duplex with target turrets and side focus. I also have the Mark4 with the TMR reticle on badger hardware that has worked out pretty well.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Dont forget to look at the super sniper line of scopes if you're looking for a fixed. They do have a variable scope out now also. Great scope for the money.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    well got a good deal on a Leupold VX-3, so just need some ring's and base's I've been looking at the talley set-up and they look nice, I've also read that a one piece base might be better as they help strengthen the receiver. what's everyone one's thoughts on that ?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if your receiver is flimsy enough that a one-piece base makes a noticeable difference, you've got bigger problems.

go with the talley LW's (lightweights, one-piece base/ring unit) and don't look back.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I really like the Burris tactical rings. They go for about $45 off of optics planet with free shipping. I use them on my hunting rifle as well as two tactical rifles and never had a problem. I have had good luck with EGW bases. Can't say that I have ever heard a bad thing about the talley LWs. I hear they are a good setup.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    +1 for the Talley set up, also take a look at the Leupold and Badger stuff. It really depends on what you are trying to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom