• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Can someone explain what makes a Citizen Eco Drive different from any other solar watch or a Seiko Kinetic different from an automatic?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Can someone explain what makes a Citizen Eco Drive different from any other solar watch or a Seiko Kinetic different from an automatic?
    Kinetic uses motion to charge a capacitor. I believe light charges a capacitor in the Eco Drive. Automatics store energy in the springs by way of the movement of the wearer coupled with the internals.
    At least that's my understanding.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    To the guy looking for a dress watch...Certina is a lesser known Swiss company. They have some good looking pieces and there have been some really good deals on them lately. What's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    My new Invicta ProDive

Attachments

• invicta.jpg
      invicta.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 345

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    very nice, and it will last forever too. The NH35A Seiko movement Invicta is using in them now is a great movement. You can also hack it to set exact time if you want, not all automatic watches do that.
    Zoo, thanks for the additional watch suggestions. Ordered the first and the third suggestion before seeing the fourth, which is good, as the earlier ones were cheaper. One major thing off the Christmas shopping list now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Keydet_2008

Jan 26, 2013
    Anyone know about Christopher Ward watches? Got one as a gift years ago but I don't wear watches. Was told it was a nitch small company that has exploded in the watch world.
    Hey! They are a well regarded brand with a large following. Which of their watches do you have? There is a ton of talk about them on Watchuseek.com. Which model do you have? Automatic or quartz?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My new Invicta ProDive
    I have an Invicta Pro Diver that was given to me as a birthday present in 2009. Mine is the 9937 model with the coin edge bezel - basically a Submariner clone - and it has been a fantastic watch since then. The 9937 has a genuine Swiss movement - originally it was an Eta movement, but mine is a Sellita SW200 movement, which is basically the same As the Eta 2824-2.

If I had a complaint it would be that the spring isn't what it was when it was new, and if I don't wear it for more than a day, it stops. It had gotten to the point where the bracelet was looking pretty banged up, and the bezel also had some scratches, but I fixed that with a green Scotch Brite pad and a bezel insert I bought on Amazon. With the bracelet re-brushed, and the new bezel insert, it looks practically new. Not bad for a 7 year old watch that has mostly been my primary timepiece since I got it.

I haven't worn it much since I got this new Citizen this summer, but mainly because when I get up in the morning, I don't have the time to fool with it to get it reset to the correct time and date - I just grab the Citizen and roll.

I think I'll get it going and put it back on when I get home from work tonight - it really is a cool timepiece.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    To the guy looking for a dress watch...Certina is a lesser known Swiss company. They have some good looking pieces and there have been some really good deals on them lately. What's your budget?

That might have been me several pages ago. I got good direction on a G Shock EDC that's sitting under the Christmas tree now. For a dress watch, I was told to consider a mechanical automatic and check out some watch forums.

I don't think I'd ever spend a $1000 bucks on a watch. I wouldn't appreciate it and I personally think it's better spent elsewhere. I know this is a hobby and a collectible for some of you, so I wouldn't be surprised that some of your investments pay off.

If you told me $300 to $500 would be sufficient to get a good quality dress watch, I'd probably take the plunge. I'll check out Certina. Thanks.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That might have been me several pages ago. I got good direction on a G Shock EDC that's sitting under the Christmas tree now. For a dress watch, I was told to consider a mechanical automatic and check out some watch forums.

I don't think I'd ever spend a $1000 bucks on a watch. I wouldn't appreciate it and I personally think it's better spent elsewhere. I know this is a hobby and a collectible for some of you, so I wouldn't be surprised that some of your investments pay off.

If you told me $300 to $500 would be sufficient to get a good quality dress watch, I'd probably take the plunge. I'll check out Certina. Thanks.
    Same here. Hell, I'd have a hard time spending $100. It tells me the time on my phone :innocent0

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland

You can find decent and interesting stuff in that range especially if willing to buy used.
    But, not all movements are created equal.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Same here. Hell, I'd have a hard time spending $100. It tells me the time on my phone :innocent0

I know, I know....only reason I'm considering it is I wear business suits in my line of work. I regret to say that "image" is important to some folks (forum members excluded, I'm talking about potential clients.)

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I know, I know....only reason I'm considering it is I wear business suits in my line of work. I regret to say that "image" is important to some folks (forum members excluded, I'm talking about potential clients.)

Sucks to be you :lol2:

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland

Being a salesman, I just find it easier and more professional to glance at my wrist when I'm doing a presentation so I don't run over my time budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom