• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You don't even need a mill. There are jigs and tools to complete 80's without a mill

I have seen a jig that uses a small router to open up the fire control cavity. That's lots cheaper than a mill. Of course, you may have other projects in mind for a mill.

It can also be done on a good drill press but a lot of guys don't have one that is sturdy enough.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If you use the Easy 80 jig, I'd recommend a drill press for the initial drill out. The speed can be set constant and the mechnical advantage of the handle gives the best feed rate when dealing with 7075 lowers.

(high speed and high pressure does not end well.)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Drill press def helps. Here is one partially complete on the easy jig. Takes some time to finish but it's fun. I've made a few mistakes but learned from them. If you haven't made any mistakes you have made enough. Be careful on the wall nearest the mag and near the safety detent. I still have a pile of 80s left to mill out.

6EC6C24A-5432-4593-9C1D-43440500000D_zpszwveqq02.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

cpbrews

Feb 18, 2016
    Oh man I may have to invest in the Easy Jig system. I'm sure they turn out much better looking than those done on just a drill press, huh?

Oh man I may have to invest in the Easy Jig system. I'm sure they turn out much better looking than those done on just a drill press, huh?

They make an easy jig for drill press and a different one for handheld drill/router. I used the router. The only draw back I found is the end mill. The tool pack (drill bits/end mill) that 80% arms sells is way over priced for what is in it. I picked up the correct end mill on Amazon for $19. I already had the correct cobalt drill bits.

I did 2 80% lowers in about 6 hours...I also did a 80% polymer lower that came with it's own jig. I wouldn't normally have touched a poly lower but a friend bought it and decided not to build from 80% because he got a great deal on a complete rifle kit that included a stripped lower. I did that one in about 2 hours and I think I'm going to use it to build an AR platform in a pistol caliber like 40S&W or 45ACP...

MMartini1969

NRA Member
    Jun 15, 2013
    Frederick
    Any updated pictures? Looks nice so far. :thumbsup:

Drill press def helps. Here is one partially complete on the easy jig. Takes some time to finish but it's fun. I've made a few mistakes but learned from them. If you haven't made any mistakes you have made enough. Be careful on the wall nearest the mag and near the safety detent. I still have a pile of 80s left to mill out.

6EC6C24A-5432-4593-9C1D-43440500000D_zpszwveqq02.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

cpbrews

Feb 18, 2016
    They make an easy jig for drill press and a different one for handheld drill/router. I used the router. The only draw back I found is the end mill. The tool pack (drill bits/end mill) that 80% arms sells is way over priced for what is in it. I picked up the correct end mill on Amazon for $19. I already had the correct cobalt drill bits.

I did 2 80% lowers in about 6 hours...I also did a 80% polymer lower that came with it's own jig. I wouldn't normally have touched a poly lower but a friend bought it and decided not to build from 80% because he got a great deal on a complete rifle kit that included a stripped lower. I did that one in about 2 hours and I think I'm going to use it to build an AR platform in a pistol caliber like 40S&W or 45ACP...

Yeah I'm not sure what to think of the polymer lowers...I've heard both good and bad lol. This weekend I completed my 80% lower and got the AR together. Using a cheap drill press and even cheaper quality jig, it got the job done but it looks waaayyy mediocre :sad20: but it's a complete rifle, and I loved shooting it!

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Since some time has passed, which 80% lower jig kit for 5.56/.223 is considered the best in terms of be durability, easy to follow instructions, precision, extra tools needed, etc. I know the following are popular: Modulus, 80% Arms, Stealth Arms, Tactical Machining.
    In other words, which would you buy - not necessarily the cheapest one?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Since some time has passed, which 80% lower jig kit for 5.56/.223 is considered the best in terms of be durability, easy to follow instructions, precision, extra tools needed, etc. I know the following are popular: Modulus, 80% Arms, Stealth Arms, Tactical Machining.

Bump for answers.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas

Milled a few 80% lowers with a jig from Colfax Tactical.
    It held lowers from a few sources and accurately guided the work. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

They also have alternate instructions for mills with a DRO:
    http://www.colfaxtactical.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=3

Bump for answers.

I've done 4...1 from SWAT, 2 from 80% ARMS 1 from polymer80. obviously the poly was easier, but I saw no real difference in the alloy ones. The milling took me about 3 hours each They all worked as intended...about the only difference in the lower was the SWAT lower has an over sized trigger guard and the 80%s have the swing away trigger guard...other than that, the rest of the differences appear to be completely cosmetic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom