• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Any recommendations on where / who to send my SKS to to have the BBQ paint removed and blued?

As I understand it, removing the Soviet bbq paint is a pretty arduous undertaking. The paint is some insanely rugged soviet, industrial adhesive-paint concoction.

There is a a member on one of the sks fourms who did it, but I forget who.

I suggest joining and posting your inquiry over at sks-files.com, or the ak/sks subforum on gunboards.com. Pretty sure the guy who did the bbq removal is a member on one or both of those forums.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    As I understand it, removing the Soviet bbq paint is a pretty arduous undertaking. The paint is some insanely rugged soviet, industrial adhesive-paint concoction.

There is a a member on one of the sks fourms who did it, but I forget who.

I suggest joining and posting your inquiry over at sks-files.com, or the ak/sks subforum on gunboards.com. Pretty sure the guy who did the bbq removal is a member on one or both of those forums.

Thanks! I bet the BBQ paint is lead based.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is zero percent about arguing, disagreeing or anything else. Can any gun that’s proofed be 100% unfired?

I thought the proofing process for almost all military arms was loading one or two (or more) specially high pressure test cartridges and firing them. If the gun doesn’t split, it gets its proof marks. At the least most/all are test fired at the factory before delivery.

If issued even if just to the armory, they would be periodically test fired and stuck back in the arsenal. Even if it is just once a year until decommissioned and put in reserve armories for WWIII.

So I’d think “never fired” would basically be never. Only fired for proofing would, I’d think, still be almost unheard of for a military firearm unless it was some rare bird that went straight in to reserves.

Rarely used, only a few dozen rounds through it, sure.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Ant time I say "unfired", I mean after it left the arsenal. Surely, ALL were fired prior to leaving the factory.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    When it comes to old stuff, you never paid too much; you just bought a little early.

No kidding. Might I ask you a small favor, if possible? Next time I make a swing through your neck of the woods, would it be cool If I dropped in for you to check out my Chinese SKS? The original purchaser never fired it, it still had the owners manual zip tied to the trigger guard, and it is in the 9,000,000 serial range. It isn't for sale, mind you, I just want it looked over and for some help in tearing it down and reassembling it the first time.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Ant time I say "unfired", I mean after it left the arsenal. Surely, ALL were fired prior to leaving the factory.

Highly doubtful.

Almost certainly individual carbines were selected out of a given production run and test fired for QC purposes, but individually testing every rifle of the assembly line isnt a standard for line assembly manufacture. Function is generally assured in the QC standards for the individual parts. They dont test drive every car made for the same reasons

Function tested, sure. But test fired, no.

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    so what are the "letter SKS" guns worth nowadays? I have a numbers matching Д with a hardwood stock that I was considering selling...
    Probably $800 by now if its Russky. Couple hunnert less if its China

I paid mid 5’s for my 1954 Tula bout 8 years or so ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom