• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I just pick up some black pipe from Lowes or HD. determine the height you want then pick up those lengths some t- fittings.
    this has been hit by 22lr.-- 45 acp -- 7.62x54. I built it about 8 years ago and use it when training new shooters( and yes I 've hit it ) cost me about 50 bucks but the years and hits have proven that it was worth it.

Isn't ricochet a factor?

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I have had good use out of these.

2- 20"-long 2"x4"'s with a 1"x2" spacer about 16" long sandwiched buy 2"x4"'s
    2- 24"-long 2"x4"'s for feet front to back
    2- 48"-long 1"x2''s for uprights

For wider target stands use longer crossmembers.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN5706.jpg
      DSCN5706.jpg
      130.7 KB · Views: 770
    • DSCN5707.jpg
      DSCN5707.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 878
    • DSCN5708.jpg
      DSCN5708.jpg
      97.7 KB · Views: 776

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    Isn't ricochet a factor?

because of the round pipe a glancing hit continues down range, a direct hit either flats out the bullet or it punches through as in the 7.62x54 . in all the years I've been using this one I've never had a problem with ricochets. it usually only get hit when its out to 25 yrds or more. since the opening is 24" across in close most people get it thru the uprights.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Pretty much the same as CHUNKERMD's stands:

The base is one 2x4x10. The vertical risers stick in by friction alone and are another 2x4x10. Nails and a hammer complete the base. Each stand is less than $10 and I made two in about 30 minutes.

Nothing fancy and they break down easy. Likewise they hold up in weather really well. I leave mine in the woods and they have not blown over yet.

Forgive the crude drawings. I didn't want to walk down the woods to take the pictures.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
      Picture 1.png
      1.6 KB · Views: 799
    • Picture 2.jpg
      Picture 2.jpg
      27.5 KB · Views: 752
    • Picture 3.png
      Picture 3.png
      5.1 KB · Views: 599

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    OK, so that's three stands all basically using the same design. Looks like a winner (although the Chinese dude wins for balls).

I like the metal work. Those are sweet. I was going the same route but do not have a welder. It's probably good I did not because I am teaching some newbies and they miss alot. ;)

I'm betting you could sell those. Really.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have had good use out of these.

2- 20"-long 2"x4"'s with a 1"x2" spacer about 16" long sandwiched buy 2"x4"'s
    2- 24"-long 2"x4"'s for feet front to back
    2- 48"-long 1"x2''s for uprights

For wider target stands use longer crossmembers.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much the same as CHUNKERMD's stands:

The base is one 2x4x10. The vertical risers stick in by friction alone and are another 2x4x10. Nails and a hammer complete the base. Each stand is less than $10 and I made two in about 30 minutes.

Nothing fancy and they break down easy. Likewise they hold up in weather really well. I leave mine in the woods and they have not blown over yet.

Forgive the crude drawings. I didn't want to walk down the woods to take the pictures.

Patrick, great plans!!! thanks.

I made these last weekend.
    They take 1x3 furring strips.
    DSC01607.JPG

OK, so that's three stands all basically using the same design. Looks like a winner (although the Chinese dude wins for balls).

I like the metal work. Those are sweet. I was going the same route but do not have a welder. It's probably good I did not because I am teaching some newbies and they miss alot. ;)

I'm betting you could sell those. Really.

:thumbsup: nice!! hope you dont mind if i use the design to make mine..

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Mine are 24" wide, from outer edge to outer edge of furring strips.
    I plan on using 2' x 2' plywood squares screwed to the furring strips.

Suggestion to anyone thinking about it,
    if you use IDPA/IPSC style targets, make them a few inches narrower to fit the width of the human silhouettes.

1"x3" x 1/8" rectangular tubing allows the standard furring strips fit like a glove!

The base runners & stretcher are all 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle.
    All of them are 24" lengths.

Patrick, thanks for the compliment.

Made the rats and squirrels yesterday:
    DSC01609.JPG

Far left is my buddy's "critter" spinner, it's taken worse beatings than Rodney King! It's on it's 3rd or 4th re-weld...the hole in the nose was a .300 WSSM which burned right through it.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Patrick, great plans!!! thanks.

I made these last weekend. (Sorry not wooden)
    They take 1x3 furring strips.
    DSC01607.JPG

Those are nice as well as the plates that follow.

I had 12 of those 1"x3" steel holders in stock and some angle iron for cossmemmbers and feet, however they have not come together yet.

So when I needed a stand pronto thats when I used the following design.

Thank you....www.target.workz.us

Attachments

• targstandplan.pdf
      183.5 KB · Views: 255

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Isn't ricochet a factor?

That was my thought as well. But, at 100+ I don't that I would be concerned with it too much if you're in the right area, the round pipe would allow the lead to slide off either side, HOWEVER, I myself would never build anything like this from metal when wood is cheaper and safer.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I built some like Patrick did, but mine use furring strips instead of 2x4s for the uprights. I use a longer 2x4 in the center of the base to make a friction fit with the thinner furring strip. I use long drywall screws to hold the base together. I drill pilot holes for the screws. Using furring strips keeps the center of gravity nearer the base and if they are hit by a bullet they are cheaper to replace. The furring strips are oriented so the thin side is facing the shooter. I staple a square of cardboard to the uprights when i set up the stand.

I use a little different measurements, all but one of my 2x4s are 2 feet long. the only shorter one is the one in the center of the base it is shorter by the thickness of two furring strips.

The base is very stable and I have not had one of this design blow over. If I were shooting in high winds I suppose I could put a sandbag over the base to hod it down.

The price for the materials are about $6 at home depot.

1 x 2x4 10 ft $3.80
    2x furring strip 1x2 8ft $1.12 ea $2.24

$6.04

Screws and scrap cardboard are the other things I need to complete the stand.

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I saw some people at AGC shooting an AR with a target stand they made from PVC one day. (Of course if I had done this RO Fife would have been on me like stink on poop).

One hit on one of the uprights and it shattered like glass. Ended their shooting for that day. On the other hand I have a bunch of stands built with 1x2s that have been hit scores of times by 30-06 and down. I squirt some Gorilla glue into any holes when I come home.

I have a PVC pipe stand that has recieved multiple 5.56x45 gunshot wounds. It never shattered. It's actually weird because the entrance hole is way smaller than the round itself. I don't know why, I guess it shrinks back somehow, but had to be 1/2 the size of a BB. The size of a small nail. The exit wound on the other hand is a different story.

A more intelligent design IMO is a PVC pipe bottom frame with wooden legs to hold up the targets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom