• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I know I've seen this discussed in another thread, but I can't find it. Which one is better? They seem almost identical in function. This rifle will alternate between suppressed and unsuppressed, so I want something with detents.

I'm not considering the "govnah" right now as I would need a custom port size and don't feel like messing with that.

TIA.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I can't really help other than to say I went through this and just received the SLR based on Clandestine's recommendation. SLR were good people to deal with. I haven't tested mine out yet, but am in a similar situation in that I will shoot both ways.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    The only drawback I've found with the syrac is the possibility for it to foul and not be adjustable. You can mitigate that by putting a drop or two of fireclean on the adjustment screw. (Back it out most of the way, add a drop, put it back in)

After adding the fireclean, i haven't had a seizure in a few hundred rounds with a can on most of them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The only drawback I've found with the syrac is the possibility for it to foul and not be adjustable. You can mitigate that by putting a drop or two of fireclean on the adjustment screw. (Back it out most of the way, add a drop, put it back in)

After adding the fireclean, i haven't had a seizure in a few hundred rounds with a can on most of them.

Yes this. I believe the SLRs are a little more maintenance friendly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Adding a drop of fireclean isn't exactly high maintenance, but i do suppose for the truly lazy, the SLR may be the ideal option. ;)

The SLR offers internal access the others do not. How's that lazy? I've tried a couple adjustable GBs. There is nothing wrong with the syrac. They work fine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Some people could break a ball-bearing if given access, and enough time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It ain't rocket surgery. But, anytime you invite high pressured carbon filled air into a constricted area containing moving parts, you have the potential for fouling buildup and possible failure. I'd rather have access to it in place, than to have to remove it and soak it in ultrasonic tank.(worst case scenario).

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    It ain't rocket surgery. But, anytime you invite high pressured carbon filled air into a constricted area containing moving parts, you have the potential for fouling buildup and possible failure. I'd rather have access to it in place, than to have to remove it and soak it in ultrasonic tank.(worst case scenario).

You may have missed the "self-regulating" phrase in the description of the ar-15 gas system. It's okay, many people do. You may want to look into clandestine's class. there's a great deal of learning included. :)

Along with that, there's a substantial difference between a drop of fireclean when you first install something, and regular immersion in an ultrasonic tank. I suspect you may be blowing things a bit out of proportion.

How many syrac gas blocks have you owned, and which generation?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll have to check into clandestine's? class.

The OP was: What is the difference between Syracs and SLRs. I answered the question.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have heard reports that Syrac is out of business or is having problems. Their I.P. section is not being responded to on AR15 dot com and they are not answering emails or calls. This may be heresay, but please check before you buy. Buying a component that's proprietary without support can be a problem one day if the business folds or discontinued production.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Actually he asks which one is better. The answer for that is the syrac, as function is the same and it's nearly 30 dollars less costly. :)

...and I gave the reason I chose one over the other. It's all subjective, of course, as all opinions are.:D

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    I have used both and prefer SLR. The mechanism is simpler and allows for cleaning, which did become a problem in my first Syrac. The adjustment screw became very hard to turn and eventually I sent all of them back.

SLR is a simple leaf spring and is easily accessible. Their customer service is great too.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I have used both and prefer SLR. The mechanism is simpler and allows for cleaning, which did become a problem in my first Syrac. The adjustment screw became very hard to turn and eventually I sent all of them back.

SLR is a simple leaf spring and is easily accessible. Their customer service is great too.

There are a lot of options on the SLR gas blocks.

How in the world do you figure out which one is right?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are a lot of options on the SLR gas blocks.

How in the world do you figure out which one is right?

It's not that bad. First pick the proper opening diameter 6.25 or 7.5 etc.

Next pick from clamp on or set screw (recommend set screw and have it pinned)

Lastly, pick the material you want(steel, titanium, etc.)

That should narrow things down a bit.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

This guy is spot on. :)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

Thanks

Which ones were pinned compatible was my first concern (for better or worse I listen to chad ALOT :D )

I assume material is based on weight? No noticeable difference in wear for the average user ?

These are going on 10.5 inch uppers (556 and 300 aac) that get run both suppressed and not. They share a lower so I'm limited in what I can do with buffers and springs.

Since they are on sale this weekend......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom