• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Meet 3 requirements

1. Optically decent, not necessarily prescription but no wavy shit

2. Polycarbonate (Lexan) lenses

3. This is the most important, and the reason I'm looking, very high bridge or lens top. The reason is, and perhaps it's my personal geometry, I find when ever I shoot that I have a head-tilted-down position. I know this is normal to a certain degree, but the way glasses sit on my face, it means I'm constantly looking right at or near the top edge of the lens of the glasses and it's finally making me crazy. Has anyone here had the same issue and did you find a good solution? I'm not much concerned about cost right now, I just want to get rid of this problem. Thanks!

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I have a pair of Oakley Split Jackets that I've been using. I would like to get some of the clear/yellow lenses for them. Basis is that they have done great for me thus far. May want to look into something like that.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    May want to look at Randolph Engineering's Ranger "Edge" shooting glasses. Lots of lens colors to choose from and they have an adjustable bridge (nose piece) to customize the fit. It's what I use. Great glasses.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Not specifically for shooting but what I have about a dozen pair of around the house (powertools) and in the range bags. UVEX Astrospec Patriots. Love 'em @ ~$7ea. But they look like safety glasses, not sunglasses.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Randolph Rangers are high on the face. And have interchangeable lenses, so you can change the color depending on conditions.

And if you need prescription, they work for that also.

I have brown lenses for outdoors sunny. Brown enhances contrast.

Yellow for indoors or overcast days.

Target purple for clays shooting. The purpler works well in all conditions with all color clay targets. Orange works better if you shoot only orange clays.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have lots of shooting glasses and couple pairs of goggles, some quite expensive. I mostly recommend the generic and inexpensive (multi pack) safety glasses from one of the big box stores (SAMS, BJ's, etc). COSTCO is anti-gun and pro-Lieberman so I can't recommend them. Even Home Depot and Lowes has a pretty good selection of safety glasses, certainly one of their designs will suit you.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Any suggestions on something to keep the lenses from fogging up?

Simplest solution is to wear glasses that fit well and allow plenty of air to move around; this could reduce the protecting effect of the glasses. Goggles are much harder to prevent fogging. Best I've seen have a coating and a tiny fan to pull fresh air in from the bottom and vent out the top. $$$

A trick to manage with what you have is to use rainX or most any car wax. I don't have much faith/luck with these and have used spit in a pinch when playing paintball on very cold days in Germany. Keeping the goggle inside your shirt keeps them closer to your body temp, that seems to help too.

Most promising long term solution of anti-fog coating itself is composed of polyvinyl alcohol, which is a hydrophilic compound. Found a discussion about it at: http://materialsinsight.com/materials-research-news/permanent-anti-fog-coating-developed/ an industry journal on such things. When you find where they sell it, please let us all know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom