• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seungkoo

Apr 4, 2020
    Not sure if they are considered regulated. Can you purchase more than 1 within a30 day period?
    I happened to purchase my 3rd one and trying to pick up my 2nd but my 77r has not been approved yet (8th day)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Not sure if they are considered regulated. Can you purchase more than 1 within a30 day period?
    I happened to purchase my 3rd one and trying to pick up my 2nd but my 77r has not been approved yet (8th day)

The MSP (rightly or wrongly) views a full stripped lower (not a 80% lower) as a regulated firearm just like a pistol, as it can be built into a pistol. All the rules applicable to pistols are thus applicable to such a lower.

EDIT: All the rules EXCEPT you don't need an HQL to buy a lower.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Become a Designated collector and you can buy as many as you like. Still have to wait 7 days though.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Any LGS have them in stock right now? I'm in Columbia. Hanover Armory said they aren't selling stripped lowers right now since they source all their own lowers and are keeping them for "builds".
    Basically complete guns they put together and hang on their wall for sale. Seems kind of silly to me, they'd probably sell ten lowers at $60 a pop for every one $800 gun.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    The MSP (rightly or wrongly) views a full stripped lower (not a 80% lower) as a regulated firearm just like a pistol, as it can be built into a pistol. All the rules applicable to pistols are thus applicable to such a lower.

EDIT: All the rules EXCEPT you don't need an HQL to buy a lower.
    Only for stripped lowers compatible with .223/5.56 right?

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County

Hi seungkoo, could you please post in the introductions forum? Noticed your post count's a little low, we like to have our members introduce themselves and strive for a post count of 50 or more.

SPQM

May 21, 2014

What about a completed lower with an appropriate stock (pistol or rifle) installed? Would a completed lower with a standard collapsible rifle stock be treated as a rifle?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    What about a completed lower with an appropriate stock (pistol or rifle) installed? Would a completed lower with a standard collapsible rifle stock be treated as a rifle?

A completed lower is either a rifle, or a pistol, or a SBR, depending on barrel length and overall length and whether, in the case of a sbr, it has a stock

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was under the impression that 556 receivers were 77r (regulated) essentially because "frame or receiver" of a regulated firearm was also a regulated firearm (see section 5-101, definition of regulated firearm and definition of firearm which includes the frame or receiver). So its not because they can be "made into pistols," its because they are the frame or receiver an enumerated firearm on the list.

308 lowers are being treated cash and carry because they are not the lower of any enumerated firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom