• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    https://twitter.com/MD_Shall_Issue/status/1255866720922865665

A lot of you are probably already aware, but if not, be aware. MSI gets to argue against the HQL in the 4th Circuit on 5/6.

I'll leave all the speculation to you guys on the number of ways the 4th circuit will try to screw us.

Case #: 19-1469

This is a very important case that I think deserves more attention. It's something that directly affects pretty much all members here.

Putting this at the top for clarity:
    Folks should understand that this appeal being heard on 5/6 is solely about our appeal from the district court's dismissal of the case on grounds of standing. The district court never reached the merits and the appeal does not turn on the merits. If we prevail on standing, then we go back to district court for summary judgment on the merits. Then there will be appellate proceedings from any ruling on summary judgment.

Link to listen live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWA26EhRDW8

Last edited:

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    https://twitter.com/MD_Shall_Issue/status/1255866720922865665

A lot of you are probably already aware, but if not, be aware. MSI gets to argue against the HQL in the 4th Circuit on 5/6.

I'll leave all the speculation to you guys on the number of ways the 4th circuit will try to screw us.

Case #: 19-1469

This is a very important case that I think deserves more attention. It's something that directly affects pretty much all members here.
    Would it be possible to get together a timeline of events for this? I'm not very familiar with how things work in the court system, all I know is we've been waiting seven years to get to this point.

For example, if all things go exactly as planned, how soon can we have the HQL repealed? I see this is vs Hogan who has been hit or miss with the 2A; how will his stance affect the case?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    thanks for posting this, with all the events I forgot.

My prediction is that we will not see a decision until after the Supreme Court says something in one of the 10 cases that they might take.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Would it be possible to get together a timeline of events for this? I'm not very familiar with how things work in the court system, all I know is we've been waiting seven years to get to this point.

For example, if all things go exactly as planned, how soon can we have the HQL repealed? I see this is vs Hogan who has been hit or miss with the 2A; how will his stance affect the case?

You can read the case activity here:

Initial filing in September 2016 to district court: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4512832/maryland-shall-issue-inc-v-hogan/

Appeal to 4th Circuit May 1, 2019: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/7245/maryland-shall-issue-inc-v-lawrence-hogan/

Unfortunately I don't know what happened between 2013 and early 2016 as I was in free America for that time.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    is their anyway to listen to this online and or watch a video as it is going on? You know they will keep the courthouse closed to the public until the virus thinggy is over

Nope, no SC video or audio, this is not new for Corona. Wait for the reporters to exit when its done. The court makes its own rules.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If MSI had the resources of the NRA at it's disposal... we would all be able to buy Class IIIs from vending machines (and none of those resources would be squandered on fancy clothing allowances for board members or shacking up hot "interns").

God bless them!

Don't get your hopes up..if the HQL were unconstitutional states that have similar "permission slips" for purchase would have already been forced to do away with theirs. Just my opinion but this is just another misstep in the never ending saga of bad challenges to laws that will be upheld..

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    My mistake, I was thinking about a different court

Thanks for the correction!

You had the correct court. They will still post the audio there. They are not holding normal oral arguments and have augmented what they are doing for certain cases such as this one.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Don't get your hopes up..if the HQL were unconstitutional states that have similar "permission slips" for purchase would have already been forced to do away with theirs. Just my opinion but this is just another misstep in the never ending saga of bad challenges to laws that will be upheld..

True, but the other states don't have MSI on their side.

Carefully chosen fights, picked well = probable success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom