• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    I really dislike my DeSantis iwb leather for my G19. It is a nice holster and is comfortable, but being a bigger guy who needs to wrench my belt to keep the pants up, it doesn't draw easily. If my waist was concave rather than convex, it would probably be nice.

Yes, I'm in the same situation as you.... Right now I'm looking for OWB for steel challenge, not to carry, so I'm hoping the belt wrenching won't make as much of a difference.

Now if I get my W&C, then I'll have to deal with it. But I'm eying up Glock 43X so hopefully the smaller size will help, at least a little.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Straight vertical is most common for " participation in these types of competition- like events " , but ultimately it is your personal preference .

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Personally I'd say go on Shooters Connection website and see all the options. Once you get overwhelmed give them a call. The people there are extremely helpful once you tell them what you're looking for. Kydex is what 99.99% of people are going to be using at competitions.

Cool. Looks like they have a ton of stuff. Thanks. I didn't find that web site yet.

The most damaging thing for the finish is grit/debris that accumulates. A lining would make that worse. Kydex is easy to wipe clean.

If you go with a single clip kydex IWB, get one with a claw/wing attachment (different makers call it by different names). It is a 3" or so piece of plastic on the trailing edge. The most common thing to print is the butt of the grip, and the wing/claw pushes on the inside of your belt and rotates the butt toward your body.

I don't want to discourage you from going to the show, but MD shows in my experience haven't been great for holsters, probably because fewer people carry (except criminals, who don't use holsters).

York next weekend and Chantilly later this year would probably have a better selection.

I have a couple from Blue Line LLC. https://bluelinellc.com/about-us/
    He is always at Chantilly, main room on right toward front. If he doesn't have what you want on the table he can talk with you about it and make it right there or you can fill out a form and he'll mail it to you. You can also order online.

Bummer that the Timonium show probably won't yield much. I have my W&C class next weekend so I can't make it to York next weekend. Bummed they don't start Friday like the Nations Gun show. I'll to go to wander/look.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    So, considering I'm primarily looking for OWB for events, not to carry, should I worry about a sweat guard (usually a piece of Kydex goes between me and pretty much the whole slide)? Or just go with the shorter holster without the full slide coverage?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So, considering I'm primarily looking for OWB for events, not to carry, should I worry about a sweat guard (usually a piece of Kydex goes between me and pretty much the whole slide)? Or just go with the shorter holster without the full slide coverage?

Honestly if you’re buying it for events don’t worry about it. Guns get dirty, not a big deal. The most important thing for competition is positive retention.
    I have a Safariland GLS retention holster that I use for matches (Steel Challenge & 3 gun). Back in June at a 3 gun match (embarrassed to admit this) I caught my foot on the base of the rifle dump box, started running and fell on my right side with a holstered, loaded pistol. Glad I had that holster instead of my cheap Bladetech, although it probably would’ve been ok. Gun stayed where it should have.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yes, I'm in the same situation as you.... Right now I'm looking for OWB for steel challenge, not to carry, so I'm hoping the belt wrenching won't make as much of a difference.

Now if I get my W&C, then I'll have to deal with it. But I'm eying up Glock 43X so hopefully the smaller size will help, at least a little.

It wont matter one bit if you are OWB. Your belt wont go around the gun, but rather behind it.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    And don’t forget a good belt. Especially for OWB. Get a purpose made belt. There’s a company called Hanks belts, Magpul does well, and 5.11 has some too. There are many out there but make sure you get a reinforced belt with either a double nylon build or a plastic insert that stiffens it up. Your every day belt won’t work. If you can throw it on the floor and it curls up like a snake, it’s not good for OWB.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    You just need a Kydex owb holster for the range? Bravo concealment owb if you don't want retention or Safariland ALS if you need retention. I wouldn't overthink a kydex owb holster. Even Blade Tech.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you want a good belt that will probably outlast you, get a biothane belt. They use biothane for horse tackles and such. It is strong as hell and lasts forever. Several companies use it, but the last time I bought one was from a horse tack shop that also made belts out of it. I have a black basket weave that I wear for just about everything and one that is smooth and thinner for dress wear.

I've been loosing weight and had to put several notches in my belt. I am trying to decide how I want to handle it. Cut it down or buy another. I wont decide until I hit my goal weight, so I have time. But my belt is way too long right now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Trying to visualize tackling a 1200lb horse , but just can't see it . But all my Tack is made from harness leather .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom