• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I remember a concern with the larger flash holes being a concern on the lead free 45 ammo cases. Concern was the larger flash hole would raise pressures considerably. I tried it. I kept those case separate l. Once I accumulated enough I decided to try a few then run a batch if things were safe. No rise in pressures. Subsequent readings indicated the same thing. Relative to other calibers, I can’t say since I haven’t used nor noticed different size flash holes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SPP in centerfire pistols started as a means to keep the lead content down in "Green Ammo" marketed towards indoor ranges. I don't know if that is still the case. I haven't found any in some years at my range.

This. They switched to the SP primers, as the lead free primers were only in small, and the only caliber that they were making lead free that used large primers was .45

It was easier to switch the cases to small, versus making limit numbers of large lead free primers.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have notice that the frequency of using SPP has increased since I have first noticed the Small Pistol Primer for 45 ACP. At first I wanted to kill somebody, now not so much.

SPP in centerfire pistols started as a means to keep the lead content down in "Green Ammo" marketed towards indoor ranges. I don't know if that is still the case. I haven't found any in some years at my range.

I have a few small pistol primer 45s with 1956 head stamps so they've been around for a while. I don't think they were common until recently but they're older than you think

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom