• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Behind the counter, they had several bricks of winchester spp and lrp. No srp. They will only sell them in packs of 100 but will entertain qty. 10+.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I driving back from work and decided to swing by and see if I could buy 1000. I contemplated a bit because you said they were “behind the counter” which usually means “take a number”. We’ll I wasn’t disappointed. It was packed. I mean jam packed. In just walked back out.

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    SR and SP mostly interchange don't they. Maybe slightly harder steel in SR? An older gentleman who showed me how to reload told me this years ago.
    Chris

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    SR and SP mostly interchange don't they. Maybe slightly harder steel in SR? An older gentleman who showed me how to reload told me this years ago.
    Chris

Yes and no. Same height, same diameter. Small rifle primers have a thicker cup, so it takes a harder impact.

You could try them in a pistol and at worst more likely to get light strikes.

DO NOT use small pistol primers in a rifle. Especially higher pressure calibers. Or anything with a floating firing pin.

I think you could guess at the results

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Chris

Small rifle and small magnum pistol are interchangeable. I only keep small rifle around to use in 223, 300blk, and 357. You could use small rifle for regular small pistol rounds but I wouldn’t bet my life on them going off every time, particularly in any competition or guns with tunes triggers. They are harder to set off.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    didn't leave empty handed

I driving back from work and decided to swing by and see if I could buy 1000. I contemplated a bit because you said they were “behind the counter” which usually means “take a number”. We’ll I wasn’t disappointed. It was packed. I mean jam packed. In just walked back out.

After reading the first couple of posts in this thread, and since I was in the area on a different mission, I stopped by too. There were enough people that it was almost hard to walk and during the 1/2 hour or so that I was there I heard two numbers being called. When I walked in, then next number to be torn off was about 30 from the starting number.

On the other hand, I was a bit more interested in checking for pistol powders and they didn't have any of those on the shelf so to avoid walking out empty handed I picked up the Berry's MFG flat nose 125grn .38 special (.357 diameter)...there were only three boxes and now there are none left. They also had two boxes of the XTP 180 grn which I left.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    After reading the first couple of posts in this thread, and since I was in the area on a different mission, I stopped by too. There were enough people that it was almost hard to walk and during the 1/2 hour or so that I was there I heard two numbers being called. When I walked in, then next number to be torn off was about 30 from the starting number.

On the other hand, I was a bit more interested in checking for pistol powders and they didn't have any of those on the shelf so to avoid walking out empty handed I picked up the Berry's MFG flat nose 125grn .38 special (.357 diameter)...there were only three boxes and now there are none left. They also had two boxes of the XTP 180 grn which I left.

I checked out the powder too and almost purchased the two lbs of CFEBLK on the shelf but didn’t feel like having to sign their bull $hit powder purchase logbook. So I looked for some boxes of 22lr that might have fallen behind the shelf and then for some corn nuts and struck out on all accounts.

I sort of wonder if it wouldn’t make sense to open up another firearm store in the mall right next to BP, or maybe in the shopping center right across the street.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Went to the Gettysburg show yesterday. Got what I needed Federal Lg. Pistol Mag. primers from 3R Guns 1000 for $34.99. No waiting for a number. No gouging like on Gun Broker $80 to a $100! I'm not cheap, I'll spend the money but I'm not a fool either!

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Still a long trip for most, but Shydas up in Lebanon PA had many types of primers (have to ask behind counter now) and still
    lots of powder jugs, but slowly getting thinner and thinner. They allow 1K primer limit of each type, So I picked up a brick
    of CCI450 MSRP, a brick of Win SPP, and a brick of Fed MLPP for my 458socom.. The trip was to replenish CFE223 which was
    successful, but if going up for primers only I'd definitely call first.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Bass pro just got a load of 10K+ Win Small Pistol Primers this morning 10/2... unfortunately no Large Pistol, so I didn’t ask how many an individual could buy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Now if someone would just have large pistol primers or small rifle. Sigh.

I guess I shoulda gone after all. Just looking to pick up 1 or 2k SPP to round out my stocks. Though not real low right now on those.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Something is not 'right', here.

My youngest son and I went to Bass Pro (Hanover) this afternoon, and after waiting about 20 minutes for my 'number' to be called, I asked about primers.

Yes, they had primers in stock. NO Small Rifle Primers left. One of the guys behind the counter, said he was looking for SRP, also.

I asked about Small Pistol Primers.
    "Yes, we have some."

I asked about the quantity that I could buy.
    "As many as you want, sir."

I was only going to buy 1,000, or maybe 2,000, but, another guy behind the counter chimed in, and said that I should buy all of them that I could afford.

I bought five 'bricks' of 1,000 WSP primers.
    The young man that was helping me with my purchase went to the back of the store, and looked for Small Rifle Primers. "None in stock."

The time on the receipt is: 13:10. Today's date.
    The two guys that were helping me and my son, told us I got the last of the SPP in stock.

ETA: I wonder if they only put "x" amount into the cabinet, behind the counter. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom