• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice pickup. Are the 1903mk1 and 1903A3 barrels interchangeable?

Yes and no to a certain extent. A3 barrels are not milled different for the rear sight collar they are turned to a slightly diameter where the rear sight collar is located. They are close but can be determined by eye with careful observation.

The milling for the front sight base is the same between an A3 barrel and a rebuild 03 barrel. It's like 3/32 off the top of my head.
    What this comes down to is that an A3 front site band and a 03 band are interchangeable with the same internal diameter.

The difference is the length of the spline or key used to support the band internally between the two drawing numbers.
    The 03 has a longer key than the A3 so when you interchange the two an A3 key is to short to fill the space left at the end of the band at either end and the 03 key needs to be shortened when used with an A3 barrel.

In short they will swap.

Criterion replacement and 03 rebuild barrels like the one pictured above have identical milling under the band.
    The only difference is the diameter of the barrel profile towards the breech....and the length of the key used to support the band(s)

SA, RIA and AVIS barrels have a simple slot milled into the barrel at the muzzle with out the additional fly cuts that stride the key way.

The breech of both barrels look like this and are the same. If you ever look through a 03 barrel that is two or six groove it has had a A3 barrel fitted to it made by either Remington or High Standard (SC) CBI barrels are 4 groove with a A3 front site milling to aid modern production.

If you need a 03orA3 barrel they are the ones to get for shooting if you can find one somewhere at this time.
    1903breech-768x768.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I stand corrected on the points made. Remington made the 2-groove barrels for their own production and as replacement barrels...High Standard made the 6-groove barrels and supplied them to Smith-Corona. Normal S-C production was 4-groove barrels...the 6-groove was much more limited in numbers produced.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I stand corrected on the points made. Remington made the 2-groove barrels for their own production and as replacement barrels...High Standard made the 6-groove barrels and supplied them to Smith-Corona. Normal S-C production was 4-groove barrels...the 6-groove was much more limited in numbers produced.

No big deal OMB you knew what a LMR barrel is which is more than most. I bet you also were aware of or even seen before the spliced two grooved RA barrels used as put together s for M1's back in the day when replacements were hard to find.

I know where to get one of them and thought about picking it up just to have it.
    It would be pretty neat to have it for curiosity if for anything else.

I attached a PDF that the guy from CBI gave me one time. He lurks on the site occasionally for R&D and product idea development info.
    The bottom drawing is for the 03 and indicates the additional material removed from the A3 barrel to accommodate the rear site collar. (picture worth a thousand words)
    View attachment 1903 - 1903 A3 comparison Criterion Barrel drawing.pdf

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've never seen one of the spliced 2-groove barrels but had been aware of them...lots of such things happen when someone sniffs a profit to be made at someone else's expense. The same goes for re-welded M1 receivers over the years...a pretty fair number of them out there and some look quite good and takes an expert to tell in some cases. Sometimes only a close examination after some buys one...shoots it and it won't function properly due to wrong dimensions.

I have several Smith-Corona 03A3 rifles with 6-groove barrels...for years they seemed to be a myth then within a year or so I found several. Most aren't aware of them so they really don't bring much of a premium.

I used to own a Rock Island '03 that had a bad barrel...sold it to a guy whose dad was a Marine on Guadalcanal and carried a Rock Island...he wanted it badly and he also had a NOS Rock Island barrel for it (this was in the '80s). He was very happy to have a rifle like his dad's. This hobby works in strange ways sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom