• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Midway has 8208 XBR available. Ordered 2# among other items to smooth out the hazmat.

Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    Hello, Is their a end in sight to the shortage? Maybe after the election? I’m Running low in my hunting rifles with some trips coming up. Has anyone seen H4350
    Or retumbo? Thanks.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Hello, Is their a end in sight to the shortage? Maybe after the election? I’m Running low in my hunting rifles with some trips coming up. Has anyone seen H4350
    Or retumbo? Thanks.

Unfortunately I don’t see this shortage going away until mid next year if the election goes to President Trump. If it doesn’t I am not sure we will ever see the shortage go away.

If I see any of the powders you are looking for I will PM you. I have email notifications on for both at Grafs. Hopefully they get some soon.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I haven't seen Trail Boss anywhere either, but I've gotten very similar results with Vihtavouri N32C, aka Tin Star. It's in stock at a lot of places. Depending on the load it works out even better than Trail Boss. The ES's and SD's are much lower in my experience. I was using it for subsonic 90gr JHP loads in a 300blk single shot. Works equally as well behind 110gr for plinking purposes too. Cleaner and quieter in both cases than Trail Boss.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. Had read some positive reports on Tin Star. I am interested in Trail Boss due to its low density/high bulk - even more than Tin Star (based on what I previously read). Seems like a nice option for 38 Special using a Lee hand loader tool. But Tin Star is would be a better option than Titegroup that I have on order for other calibers, especially with TB being hard to find.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks. Had read some positive reports on Tin Star. I am interested in Trail Boss due to its low density/high bulk - even more than Tin Star (based on what I previously read). Seems like a nice option for 38 Special using a Lee hand loader tool. But Tin Star is would be a better option than Titegroup that I have on order for other calibers, especially with TB being hard to find.

Shooters World Ultimate Pistol is another good powder for 38 Special and other pistol cartridges. Grafs has it in stock. You can do light to heavy loads with it and it seems pretty consistent.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Thank you, I’ll let you know if I find any as well.

No worries.

You may also want to look at the Shooters World line of powders. They are in stock in various places like Grafs and I believe powder valley. I have had good results with their precision rifle powder and ultimate pistol powder. Their SW4350 is very close to H4350 in burn rate.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    No worries.

You may also want to look at the Shooters World line of powders. They are in stock in various places like Grafs and I believe powder valley. I have had good results with their precision rifle powder and ultimate pistol powder. Their SW4350 is very close to H4350 in burn rate.

Does anyone, locally sell Shooters World powder? I'd like to try a pound or two, but don't want to pay Hazmat on just a few pounds.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Does anyone, locally sell Shooters World powder? I'd like to try a pound or two, but don't want to pay Hazmat on just a few pounds.

I haven't seen it locally but Veterans Day is coming up and a lot of places do deals on shipping powder.

I was going to order some powder from grass at the beginning of the month. Let me know what you are interested in and I will add it to my order if you are close to Pasadena, Md and are willing to come pick it up. Grafs hazmat fee is $12.50 for under 40lbs. PM me if you are interested.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy is pretty stocked with powder
    Thank you.
    e8215c302209620885cdcd8149e98ed1.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Shooters World Ultimate Pistol is another good powder for 38 Special and other pistol cartridges. Grafs has it in stock. You can do light to heavy loads with it and it seems pretty consistent.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is no shortage of options for 38 Special powders, rather a shortage of which options are available in the current market.

I wanted to get powders with a range of capabilities for 38 Special, and those that might also be eventually tasked to load 357 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 9mm. I have a lot of factory ammo for the latter calibers, so I'll want to shoot them and collect the brass.

With what I found at Gun Shack today, I now have the following pistol powders in my possession or on the way ...

Hodgdon Trail Boss
    Hodgdon Universal Clays
    Ramshot True Blue
    Hodgdon Titegroup

Plenty to play with for now. :)

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks for the suggestion. There is no shortage of options for 38 Special powders, rather a shortage of which options are available in the current market.

I wanted to get powders with a range of capabilities for 38 Special, and those that might also be eventually tasked to load 357 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 9mm. I have a lot of factory ammo for the latter calibers, so I'll want to shoot them and collect the brass.

With what I found at Gun Shack today, I now have the following pistol powders in my possession or on the way ...

Hodgdon Trail Boss
    Hodgdon Universal Clays
    Ramshot True Blue
    Hodgdon Titegroup

Plenty to play with for now. :)

Have tons of fun! Glad you found powder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom