• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Where can I buy .251 projectiles for .25ACP?

Likewise, where can I buy .361 projectiles for .38 S&W?

I have never loaded either of these before and I don't plan to ever load huge quantities of either but I want to be able to say that I can and/or could if needed.

So, the powder and primers are already here anyway...if I could get my hands on some projectiles I'd be set, you know, just in case.

I'm not hard pressed, so if you know of an online place that normally has them that would be helpful too and I'll keep an eye out for the next time that we're in between shortages. Or if anyone has some they want to sell or trade I might be able to come up with something you'd like (fair warning, I don't have any rifle calibers).

[edit - meant to add...any opinions on just loading .38S&W with .357 projectiles?]

Last edited:

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Thank you sir, I didn't have that one in my list and now I do!

I love the note on the .251 page: "Why make 25 acp? Because we can and because we want to keep the ten crazy people in the world that load this happy."

Any other good suppliers I should know about?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Matt's Bullets offers multiple .38S&W specific designs, in a wide variety of diameters .

Loading .38S&W with "normal .38" bullets is common and safe , much of the published data is thus ( looking at you Speer) .

Usual " .38 " cast bullet dia is .358 , and .359 is not uncommon from commercial casting outfits .

.38S&W revolvers vary in actual throat and groove dimensions , and likewise vary in how accurately they shoot .358 dia bullets . Bottom line , try some and see how they shoot .

My Late #1 Shooting & Handloading partner did extensive accuracy development with his S&W Safety Hammerless ( now mine , and I had a thread about this gun in 2017). ( Yes , he could catch a bug , to extensively maximize accuracy with one of his guns , sequentially. )

He went so far as getting a custom .363 mold . And alas the ultimate results essentially come down to a question your expected context .

The better loads w/ .358 bullets were comparable to .38S&W factory loads . With custom molds could approach 2in a 25yds , not sure if he ever beat that . He was still working on .38S&W when the Cancer hit , and his health never improved enough to do much shooting after that .

If you compare in the context of full size .38spl or .357 Mag , you are at the mercy of the throat and grove specs of your particular revolver . If you compare to the 21st Cen functional equivalent of a breaktop pocket .38S&W , the subcompact pocket .380acp , the .38S&W is both more than plenty accurate for intended purposes , and more accurate than modern counterparts .

To illustrate my point , in 2017 with this gun , using factory loads , without prior bench testing by me , my first 5 rounds I ever fired through it went 5 for 5 @ 17yds on 6in steet plates , hitting POA = POI , one handed .

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    If you count me... there's 11 of us ;)

And if you add me to the list... there's 12. :innocent0

Seems to me I got some Prvi bullets from Grafs to load 25acp ammo. I don't shoot 25 often so I'll have to check. As I recall I ran into two challenges:
    • The 25acp case is so tiny I had to dig out my old Lee auto-prime and order a shell holder to prime the cases.
    • Charging a 25acp case with one grain of Bullseye is e LOT different than dropping 70 grains of BP in a 45-70 case... ;)
    But I do agree - we do it - because we can!

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom