• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * Not reopening comparitive discussion of other options, just seeking Ruger specific feedback *

Don't usually see much love for these . So , are there any specific actual flaws, or are they just burried in the pack of generic AR's ?

Or more crudely: Do they actively suck, or just kinda average for their price point ?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you can buy a Windham from John Lowe, I think you'd be just as happy. Sorry, I don't know anyone who has bought a Ruger 5.56

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    They use 4140 steel alloy in their barrels. The stronger alloy of 4150 is used in similarly competing models, such as the M&P15. For the most part you or I probably won't see a difference in the life of the barrel, but when researching a rifle or seeing stats online you might be inclined to go with something incrementally better for a roughly similar price. We tend to split hairs when discussing the various AR's available in this price category, but the average shooter isn't going to find a large difference among the rifles.

A lot of the time it comes down to simple brand preference, or a certain feature or aesthetically pleasing quality one rifle has over another. You just have to decide what features and brands you like and throw the money down.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    One thing about the Ruger: the hbar is just two ounces heavier than the regular version.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The discussion of this is Good . From this thread so far , I would summarize that the Ruger doesn't suck per se, but there is healthy competion from other quality rifles at similar price point at current time.

Since I started the thread, I will disclose I was looking at very time specific situation, but I ended up going in a different direction, that was well received.

But by all means , this is of general intrest, and keep it going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom