• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I definitely understand the concept. Speed kills. BC coefficient matters a heck of a lot at longer ranges. Flatter trajectory means less scope clicks, less hold over, and more room for error in drop calculations. Wind matters at longer ranges.

Longest deer kill for me has been 250 yards, but I really don't want to do long range "hunting" unless the buck of a lifetime presents itself at 800 yards. lol

Ed Shell at CVT offers great long range instruction. He's probably forgotten more about long range shooting than most of us will ever know, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could get any of the existing rifles and add a prefit .243 barrel from anywhere.

6 Creed is a pussycat to shoot. It's pretty nice when you can put a youngster behind it, teach them about breath and trigger control and see them make bug holes a 100-200 yards. No fear of recoil even for the shrimps. It can also hit waaaaay out as long as you have good enough glass to see the splash. It's easy to find ammo even though Hornady is currently the only mfg for off-the-shelf stuff. Even Bass Pro has it in stock if you want to pay too much. Buck a shot to start and then reload after that.

Other companies produce 6.5CM commercially: Fed, Rem, Win, S&B, etc.
    My TC Compass loves Federal Non Typical 140gr 6.5CM.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    All of them. Or, at the very least, one of each caliber.

Why can't you guys design a olt rifle with uppers that can be swapped out like an AR-15, scope, barrel, and handguard?

Get the development team on that one. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and a couple additional complete uppers. Maybe you could even throw in a .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua upper to it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Look at the Desert Tactical Stealth Recon Scout (SRS) line. It is kind of interesting with the things they did to that rifle, if you are willing to foot the bill.

There is a member that posts his up in the classifieds from time to time and it is chambered in 260 REM, which is a legitimately good long range cartridge. Just ask Bradmacc about what he has done at DSC with his 260 REM.

I don't like you anymore. lol

Thinking about buying that gun and using QD scope mounts to match scopes with interchangeable barrels. Just wondering how accurate a QD mount would be for a long range rifle. Might be a topic for a new thread.

Time to go see how much this rifle costs and then look in the couch cushions for the money.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Look at the Desert Tactical Stealth Recon Scout (SRS) line. It is kind of interesting with the things they did to that rifle, if you are willing to foot the bill.

There is a member that posts his up in the classifieds from time to time and it is chambered in 260 REM, which is a legitimately good long range cartridge. Just ask Bradmacc about what he has done at DSC with his 260 REM.

And Desertech makes this monster too:

https://deserttech.com/hti.php

Good grief. Decisions, decisions, and more decisions

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I don't like you anymore. lol

Thinking about buying that gun and using QD scope mounts to match scopes with interchangeable barrels. Just wondering how accurate a QD mount would be for a long range rifle. Might be a topic for a new thread.

Time to go see how much this rifle costs and then look in the couch cushions for the money.
    But I thought we were friends...

:rofl:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    But I thought we were friends...

:rofl:

Yeah, we're friends. I'm going to talk to my wife tomorrow about $5k for this rifle. On the 5th, I'll introduce you to her.

"Honey, this is DA that I talk about so much. He's the one that put me on that Desert Tech SRS A-1 that you and I spoke about the other day. You know, the one for $5k. DA, tell her how nice it is and why it is worth five Gucci handbags." Fabs, exit stage left.

lol

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yeah, we're friends. I'm going to talk to my wife tomorrow about $5k for this rifle. On the 5th, I'll introduce you to her.

"Honey, this is DA that I talk about so much. He's the one that put me on that Desert Tech SRS A-1 that you and I spoke about the other day. You know, the one for $5k. DA, tell her how nice it is and why it is worth five Gucci handbags." Fabs, exit stage left.

lol
    You should wear a go pro camera to record that one for posterity. :D

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Idea

Buy Earnest's RPR in 6. His ad said he's open to offers so you could get him down some. Buds currently lists the same model on their site for $968.

Then go to White Oak Armament and get a RPR custom barrel in 6.5 and sell the unfired 6 on line. In the end you would have a better than factory RPR in the caliber you want for just a bit more $$ than a new stock model.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Idea

Buy Earnest's RPR in 6. His ad said he's open to offers so you could get him down some. Buds currently lists the same model on their site for $968.

Then go to White Oak Armament and get a RPR custom barrel in 6.5 and sell the unfired 6 on line. In the end you would have a better than factory RPR in the caliber you want for just a bit more $$ than a new stock model.

If you do this, PM me first for that barrel...

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    To me, the 308 is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. 6.5 Creedmoor is a proven caliber. I don't know anything about the 6 Creedmoore but I think that the 6.5 mm bullet beats the 6 mm bullet when it comes to ballistic coefficient. Look how well the 6.5 Swedish Mauser shoots. So I would say (money no object) 6.5 Creedmoor. This rationale is why I went with a 6.5 Grendel for one of my HBAR AR builds.

[EDIT - did you say what range you will be shooting at? If it's 100 - 200 yards then it's not going to matter much other than 308 has a lot more felt recoil than the other two]

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If I did that, I wouldn't sell the barrel.

Leaning toward the Desert Tech SRS right now thanks to DA. Just need to figure out when I should broach the subject to my wife as we are planning on buying/building a new house in the near future.

I'll set it up for you at the BBQ, then you take it from there. Would that help?

FWIW, I asked Mrs. DA if she would mind if I bought a G35 and she gave me a blank look, till I told here what it was. She said it was ok, as long as she got my G22, but what she doesn't know is that the Streamlight goes to the G35.... Win win, in my book.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    To me, the 308 is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. 6.5 Creedmoor is a proven caliber. I don't know anything about the 6 Creedmoore but I think that the 6.5 mm bullet beats the 6 mm bullet when it comes to ballistic coefficient. Look how well the 6.5 Swedish Mauser shoots. So I would say (money no object) 6.5 Creedmoor. This rationale is why I went with a 6.5 Grendel for one of my HBAR AR builds.

[EDIT - did you say what range you will be shooting at? If it's 100 - 200 yards then it's not going to matter much other than 308 has a lot more felt recoil than the other two]

And I quote from the Sierra 5th Edition.

Shortly after the end of World War I,
    the U.S. Ordnance Corps began look-
    ing for a smaller cartridge to replace
    the 30-06 Springfield. With typical gov-
    ernment efficiency, the quest was still
    being pursued toward the end of the
    Second World War. By 1944, engineers
    at Frankford Arsenal had begun to
    experiment with the 300 Savage case. Designated as the Cartridge, Ball, Cal.
    30 T65, the experimental round gave performance roughly equal to the larger
    30-06. After a long series of modifications, a revised cartridge case designated as the T65E3 was adopted as the NATO standard on December 15, 1953.
    The U.S. finally embraced the 7.62mm NATO cartridge in two new weapons
    adopted in 1957 — the M14 rifle and the M60 machinegun.
    While the military trials were still in progress, Winchester introduced the
    cartridge to the sporting public as the 308 Winchester. Initially, the 308 was
    chambered in the bolt action Model 70 rifle. Since then, the cartridge has
    been chambered by virtually every major arms maker in almost every conceivable action type. Public acceptance was slow, due largely to unflattering
    comparisons to the 30-06. Despite the initial lukewarm enthusiasm, the 308
    has become one of the most useful sporting cartridges.
    The 308 is an extremely easy cartridge to reload. Like the 222 Remington
    and 6mm PPC, the 308 is an extremely accurate cartridge. It probably is the
    most inherently accurate 30 caliber commercial cartridge ever produced. As a
    competitive cartridge, the 308 has been used in benchrest, highpower, long-
    range, silhouette, and 300-meter international matches. Few, if any, other cartridges have been so successful in such a wide range of shooting disciplines.
    It has also become quite popular as a hunting cartridge and is adequate for
    most North American big game species, particularly deer-sized game. Though
    frequently compared to it, the 308 cannot match the performance of the 30-
    06. The difference between the two, however, is insignificant unless bullets of
    180 grains or heavier are discussed. The 30-06’s greater capacity and ability
    to use slower powders give it an undeniable edge. If military brass is used for
    reloading, the charges shown should be reduced by one to two grains. The thicker construction of these cases decreases capacity, making a reduction in
    charge weight a necessity.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'll set it up for you at the BBQ, then you take it from there. Would that help?

FWIW, I asked Mrs. DA if she would mind if I bought a G35 and she gave me a blank look, till I told here what it was. She said it was ok, as long as she got my G22, but what she doesn't know is that the Streamlight goes to the G35.... Win win, in my book.

What she does not know might lead to an argument, which ends up being a lose, lose, lose. lol

My wife has no desire to really shoot high powered rifles other than maybe the small stuff in an AR-15. She probably would never touch a long action rifle, and I seriously doubt she would ever fire a bolt gun. So, offering to give her my .300 Win Mag would be like offering to give her a pile of dog poo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom