• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I bought my first AR 6 years ago. It is an LMT which I later upgraded with an Aimpoint PRO and Geissele SSS-E trigger. Last month, I bought a Windham Weaponry AR which I was planning on keeping stock. It is supposed to be my home defense rifle. Last night, I was comparing the trigger on my LMT and my WW. There was just no comparison between the stock trigger and the Grissele one. What's your thought on an aftermarket trigger on a home defense rifle. Liability issues?

I have several handguns and my designated bedside pistol is totally stock.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I've not heard of one case where modifications to guns were used as the basis for a prosecution in what would have otherwise been a self-defense case. People always warn others not to do it, but it's nonsense. It may come up during trial if the prosecutor is extra zealous, but a good shoot is a good shoot. A trigger that's smoother and slightly lighter than stock makes no difference.

The only modifications that will get you in trouble are those that make the gun unsafe. If you ND and hurt/kill someone because you disabled a safety feature or otherwise screwed up your gun, then you are (and should be) hosed.

Please don't bring up the cop who shot the drunk guy in the hotel hallway. Yes, his dust cover came up during trial, but it never would have been an issue if about a dozen other factors weren't also at play.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I seriously wouldn't worry about an upgraded trigger on your home defense rifle. If you ever have to use it and find yourself in court you probably stand better odds of getting hit by lightning than some states attorney bringing up a aftermarket trigger. Especially one with an outward appearance much like a mil spec trigger. If you replaced it with something like a binary trigger than maybe a cause for concern. In all honesty if you ever need to defend your family's life does it really matter what you use.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a geissele trigger in my home defense rifle . . . Which happens to be a suppressed AR15 that I SBRed and then built myself.

Personally I am not concerned with the bit about using an unmodified gun for home defense. If I have to use a firearm to defend my home, then its use will be deemed legal or not irrespective of what firearm I used, assuming said firearm is legal to own and possess. And chances are good I'll be able to hear afterwards.

Would I get assassinated in the media or possibly dragged into civil court over it? Maybe, but it seems to me having to wait six months and pay $400 in tax to have a slightly shorter gun with a muffler on it is basically exactly what liberals want every gun owner to experience all the time, so meh.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I like accuracy, so I have the most accurate triggers in all my rifles. As for liability, it makes me less likely to miss and hit the wrong person.

Its not really any different for any SA/DA handgun.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I have to concur with others. My defensive rifle has a Geissele and I don't see that as a meaningful characteristic itself. In the event of a situation where and you happen to unintentionally wound someone else, now maybe there's a legitimate argument for liability. But your screwed already and that's a different discussion. It's situational and I wouldn't connect those dots.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have seen a great deal of discussion of this on pistol forums (fora?), including advice against modifications of Glock triggers by Mas Ayoob. I follow his advice regarding pistols.

For this discussion, there may be some difference in determining what is a modification to a Glock or S&W pistol versus an AR. There are countless configurations of the AR platform offered by many vendors. These include trigger options. What is or isn't an AR mod? If any OEM offers an AR with an SSA-E trigger, then it is branded as worthy by an OEM, and good enough for you and me.

Since only Glock makes Glocks (if you want to get into Polymer 80's that's another issue), it's easy to label something as aftermarket.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Please pardon my contrarian view.

I prefer a heavy trigger pull on firearms that'll be used in stressful situations.

When totally freaked out and scared, there's a bigger probability of accidently letting one fly with a light trigger pull. Pulling the trigger to kill someone should be a thoroughly purposeful act. And when under stress, you'll never notice the difference between a 6.5 pound trigger and a 4 pound trigger. Just like a hunter will never notice the difference between a 4.5 pound trigger and a 2 pound trigger when whacking Bambis.

In-home, self defense, rifles aren't target rifles. You're never going to take the time to utilize a light trigger pull while shooting someone through the pupil. You're going to be shooting MOT. Minute Of Torso.

A 6.5 pound trigger pull will shoot MOT all day long at a distance of twenty feet.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Fougasse cleverly disguised as decorative landscaping around the perimeter of the house. All command detonated from a central location within the home.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Its your gun, and ultimately it is what you are comfortable with, there are pros and cons to light and heavy trigger pulls. I have Ars with cheap lower parts kit triggers in them and the ALG triggers, I have pistols with stock triggers and my M&P9 with no external safety has an Apex duty trigger that is about 3-3.5 pounds. My bedside gun is stock Taurus 92 that is SADA. My M&P9 is going to be my CC gun.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think they're more likely to show a jury the scary black AR15 rifle as a whole.

The trigger isn't a worry.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Please pardon my contrarian view.

I prefer a heavy trigger pull on firearms that'll be used in stressful situations.

When totally freaked out and scared, there's a bigger probability of accidently letting one fly with a light trigger pull. Pulling the trigger to kill someone should be a thoroughly purposeful act. And when under stress, you'll never notice the difference between a 6.5 pound trigger and a 4 pound trigger. Just like a hunter will never notice the difference between a 4.5 pound trigger and a 2 pound trigger when whacking Bambis.

In-home, self defense, rifles aren't target rifles. You're never going to take the time to utilize a light trigger pull while shooting someone through the pupil. You're going to be shooting MOT. Minute Of Torso.

A 6.5 pound trigger pull will shoot MOT all day long at a distance of twenty feet.

I'll second most of this ^^^^. How much precision do you need across your house? But then, I am not light trigger weight dependent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom