• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Having a carry permit and open carrying your handgun is legal, BUT if you scare people because they see your gun, and they call the cops, there is a good chance they will revoke your permit for causing undue apprehended danger. I guess you could carry one of those conceal-carry badges so the restless natives won't be alarmed.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I think the OC with the permit is for bank guards and the like. I know the law is ambiguous and I hate it, I would prefer OC to CC (YMMV and I wont debate my position that has been done ad nauseum) I just think the law was not thought out very well (imagine that). Maybe they thought only their friends would be getting permits and it wont matter.

NOBODY

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think the OC with the permit is for bank guards and the like. I know the law is ambiguous and I hate it, I would prefer OC to CC (YMMV and I wont debate my position that has been done ad nauseum) I just think the law was not thought out very well (imagine that). Maybe they thought only their friends would be getting permits and it wont matter.

NOBODY

Negative, it's a Wear and Carry permit, not a See See Dubya. Carry as you see fit.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    I know what it says, I also know what I believe. Why not just a carry permit?

NOBODY

I'm not sure what you believe here...
    Have you heard of any issues?
    It isn't like it's legal but you are going to get in trouble if you do it...

Permit to Carry...pretty self explanatory unless I'm missing something?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Knowing the law’s requirements and opportunities isn’t the same as knowing the local culture and having a pragmatic sense of what sort of fights it’s worth having. I’d never carry open here in MoCo because it’s expensive for me to give up a whole day (or more) dealing with the inevitable MWAG shitstorm. I have, though, become far less of an “am I printing?” self-Nazi. Carrying for a year or two in this environment is a transformational experience.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In summary: People are afraid to open carry because people are afraid the police will revoke their "privilege" to carry.

This is why when (not if) MD becomes shall issue I plan to OC all the time to normalize the sight. Not an AR15, probably more like a gentlemans SW 586 with leather holster or an FDE CZ. :D

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My uncle and I were recently debating this. I did not know this and did not hear it in my MD class and will most likely not be carrying. Damn MD is crazy.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Maryland does not ban open carry of long guns. Maryland does ban the open and concealed carry of handguns, having a permit is an exception.

However Baltimore City, and quite a few other counties ban open and concealed carry of long guns. You have to look at the specific county ordinances, but basically its illegal to open carry rifles the places you might need it, like Baltimore City or Montgomery County. Rural Howard County, Frederick, western MD, etc you are gtg with a rifle or shotgun and I do it all the time. Central MD in the urban area, mostly not.

Its a "legend" because the AG in Wollard famously told the court "Maryland does not ban open carry of rifles." He left out the part where many counties/cities do ban it. Rest assured its 100% illegal in Baltimore City.

Baltimore city, Montgomery county and a couple of towns. They are grandfathered in. There is no long gun OC ban anywhere else, including the urban parts of Howard. That said, OCing a long gun in most of Maryland that isn't rural is probably going to get you talking to the cops. Then again, in MOST states, OCing a long gun in an urban or suburban area is likely to result in a police interaction.

OCing a handgun most places where it is legal and not commifornication land won't have much an eye batted.

I wonder, can these locations ban people under 21 from voting?

As for OC long guns in non-banned areas, don't they have to be unloaded which defeats the purpose of having one for self-defense? There are so many posts on MDS that go all over the place.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I'm not a doctor... but I prescribe open carry in moderation and you will feel the symptoms of BGOS slowly diminishing... be mindful of your surroundings... as always, situational awareness. As Occam stated... with time, while carrying concealed, the worry of 'printing' will mostly disappear. JMHO... YMMV.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm not a doctor... but I prescribe open carry in moderation and you will feel the symptoms of BGOS slowly diminishing... be mindful of your surroundings... as always, situational awareness. As Occam stated... with time, while carrying concealed, the worry of 'printing' will mostly disappear. JMHO... YMMV.
    Yes, good info!

Working in the heat and on boats I am usually shirtless and barefoot, so I guess I should get a purse? hahaha Printing fears. I am guessing if one is open carrying and their shirt falls over the grip (slightly concealed/visible) this would be bad ...?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Right, but for example in PG county you have to worry about the no loaded weapons within 1000 feet of "of any home or residence, other than his own, or any school or school grounds (private or public), church or church grounds, places of public assembly, public parks and playgrounds within the County" rule. (see muni code 14-140).

Technically its not a "ban", but 1000 feet away from any home or residence other than your own is a de facto ban in the suburban/urban area.

OTOH, while PG county includes possession, Baltimore County only prohibits discharge (17-2-101). So you are probably gtg in BC. One really must look up the ordinances of each place to which you are traveling to know all the things you cannot do with a loaded long gun.

Are you sure that’s grandfathered? Because there are a few on the books, that post date preemption that are not enforceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom