• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Yippie, we are less than 3 hours from the land we go to settlement on next week!

It's gonna be awesome!

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Awesome! 3 hours was my criteria too. You can go back and forth in a day, although it is a long day. I, too, have a good bit of land in WV. First morning after settlement, I was out hanging a number of No Trespass signs along a tucked away public road at one edge of my place. I deliberately did not post my other lines. The other owners never posted their side and I didn't want to send the wrong message. Through the years, I've never had a problem with the other property owners around me. These days, I think you can put a blaze of purple paint on a tree which signifies No Trespass. I have found that the best signs are the aluminum ones. The others never last. That said, the aluminum is flimsy and a backer is wise.

When you meet the other property owners, don't forget that first impressions are huge. I would encourage you to not assume that they are a bunch of drunk hillbillies and deplorables. That attitude would likely cost you a lot through the years.

I'm curious about details

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I am beyond excited. This is much closer and nicer than I thought I could afford. I still have a few bucks left!. A range is on the list. Might only be 300 yds, maybe 400, we'll see.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Awesome! 3 hours was my criteria too. You can go back and forth in a day, although it is a long day. I, too, have a good bit of land in WV. First morning after settlement, I was out hanging a number of No Trespass signs along a tucked away public road at one edge of my place. I deliberately did not post my other lines. The other owners never posted their side and I didn't want to send the wrong message. Through the years, I've never had a problem with the other property owners around me. These days, I think you can put a blaze of purple paint on a tree which signifies No Trespass. I have found that the best signs are the aluminum ones. The others never last. That said, the aluminum is flimsy and a backer is wise.

When you meet the other property owners, don't forget that first impressions are huge. I would encourage you to not assume that they are a bunch of drunk hillbillies and deplorables. That attitude would likely cost you a lot through the years.

I'm curious about details

I'm assuming your land is for hunting, does the no trespassing signs work or do you see signs of trespassers?

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I'm assuming your land is for hunting, does the no trespassing signs work or do you see signs of trespassers?

By and large, I have been ok. Because of the steepness and the way the land lies, that road is the most tempting spot. The previous owners had a story or two and I can see how the remoteness would be tempting. The only issue I have seen is bear hunters with hounds. The dogs roam where they will and that can be a problem.

I was there a month or two back and we had a knock on the door at 11pm. It was a couple of guys wanting to cross me to retrieve their dogs. I could hear the dogs and they had something treed. It was obvious what was going on and we had a nice conversation.

I had one bear hunter that was particularly polite and I gave him permission to come on me to retrieve dogs and hunt bear. He spread word in the hound community and watched out for me.

(sorry for the thread de-rail.)

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I just want to thank you all for volunteering to help build the log cabin. Consider it your contribution to a time share. LOL. Well maybe really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom