MSI sits takes no position on SB97 but why ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    i just read this on MSI website in the section on Bills that had not past .

"We testified on the bill to advise about federal law, but took no position on the bill."

so, i'm asking why won't MSI take a position and why testify about federal law if they only intend to remain mute on the actual statute itself ?

now, we all know anybody who personally or knows others who would be affected by this would want to retain their 2nd amendment rights. that's not hard to figure out.

Yet, in my opinion we have an issues that an Organization like MSI is involved with but won't speak on so far as in support or not of the statute.
    I'm saying this because whomever seems/is perceived to speaks for us matters in political issues and the making of new statutes. I say if they are going to support Those medical users as they should then say so and if not then get out of the way and let others take up that fight that you as MSI don't seem to want to do.

to me it's like politicians who won't support what their constituents/the people want and instead have a hands off policy that thwarts the will of the people. ijs

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

"We testified on the bill to advise about federal law, but took no position on the bill."

so, i'm asking why won't MSI take a position and why testify about federal law if they only intend to remain mute on the actual statute itself ?

now, we all know anybody who personally or knows others who would be affected by this would want to retain their 2nd amendment rights. that's not hard to figure out.

Yet, in my opinion we have an issues that an Organization like MSI is involved with but won't speak on so far as in support or not of the statute.
    I'm saying this because whomever seems/is perceived to speaks for us matters in political issues and the making of new statutes. I say if they are going to support Those medical users as they should then say so and if not then get out of the way and let others take up that fight that you as MSI don't seem to want to do.

to me it's like politicians who won't support what their constituents/the people want and instead have a hands off policy that thwarts the will of the people. ijs

Just speculating but since their primary purpose is to fight for Shall Issue, it might be considered risky to take a position on such legislation.

In my mind showing support for this bill could be used as fuel for the libs to use against arguments for shall issue (ie: MSI supports marijuana users' ability to purchase firearms).

Could be totally wrong, though.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

Basically, unless the Federal government changes the law and take marijuana off the narcotics list, it doesn't matter what Maryland does as far as gun rights and medical marijuana, so the bill was just a waste of time.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Basically, unless the Federal government changes the law and take marijuana off the narcotics list, it doesn't matter what Maryland does as far as gun rights and medical marijuana, so the bill was just a waste of time.

A pithy summary of the typical MD General Assembly in action.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I can only tell you why MSRPA didn't testify - the proposed bill affected Maryland Statute and would have placed firearms owners in what we felt was a dangerous set of cross-hairs. The issue with anything marijuana-related is a federal issue and trying to fix it at the state level doesn't solve the fact that the habitual use of the drug in question is still a prohibitive criteria under federal firearms law. The better angle for solving this issue is to lobby the federal government to change the issues as they pertain to medical marijuana.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

It would just be a distraction from the important Emoluments lawsuits against the President.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

THIS. Complete waste of time unless it’s legal federally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    MSI does have a statement on this bill that explains the issue well. It can be read here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ase-possess-and-carry-use-of-medical-cannabis

Thanks! I wrote that testimony and I stand by it. In particular, I stand by this statement, contained in that testimony:

The question the Committee should ask itself is whether passage of this bill might mislead medical marijuana users into thinking that they may use and possess medical marijuana without any fear of losing their gun rights. Under federal law, that is not an assurance that the State is in a position to accord.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks! I wrote that testimony and I stand by it. In particular, I stand by this statement, contained in that testimony:

The question the Committee should ask itself is whether passage of this bill might mislead medical marijuana users into thinking that they may use and possess medical marijuana without any fear of losing their gun rights. Under federal law, that is not an assurance that the State is in a position to accord.

And members of the State GA KNOW this...

I think it may have just been supported in hopes that many in Maryland would be lulled into a false sense of "assumed legality... because the State approves"... and end up in a federal rut with no 2A rights. MSI was wise to take the stance they took on this.

Want it to be legal? Get it past the Federal Courts FIRST. :thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    MD can’t modify the 4473 so why are they wasting our time?

What could MD do anyway? “Say it’s ok by me”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    MD can’t modify the 4473 so why are they wasting our time?

What could MD do anyway? “Say it’s ok by me”

Sent from my iPhone using

Yup... They could say that...

And sit back and snicker when folks errantly believe that they are legally allowed to use MJ and still KABA per 2A... when in fact FED Law says NO.

Imagine how many folks would be shocked when they discover how Maryland GA trapped them into losing their 2A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom