• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Alert: Long post, blatantly honest review.

I haven’t done this before but I had the day off and am board. I have been a Kimber/H&K guy all along. A friend earlier this year encouraged me into buying a Glock saying he would buy it back from me. I bought a LEO trade-in Glock 21. I like to pretend I am an armorer and found the wonderful world of Glock aftermarket…. I am now hooked.

I have also seen all the comparisons to the VP9 over the last several years and know stock for stock, there isn’t much comparison. So, I invested a couple of dollars into the Glock (and by couple, I mean nothing like a couple). This is literally the comparison of a $699 H&K to a $1200 G35. If you never want to modify your gun, spend the extra $100-150 on the H&K, it is a far better weapon when comparing stock. And now, for the rest of the story….. As Paul Harvey would say.

In one corner we have the H&K VP9 and in the other corner we have the Glock 35……..

Let’s get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuumbleeeeeeeee.

Let go to the tape, Joe (little UFC humor)

The H&K is completely stock with only adding 2 15 round magazines (my defense weapon and will stay stock).

The Glock on the other hand is a monster and weighing in at
    • Glock 35 Gen 4 – (4 Mags; 2 Glock 35, 2 Glock 34)
    o Alpha Wolf Threaded 9mm Conversion Barrel
    o Taran Tactical Lightening Magwell
    o Hiviz GLT178 sights
    o 2 Firepower Aluminum +3 Magazine Extensions
    o 2 Tactical Aluminum +5 Magazine extensions
    o Serpico Lyte Trigger (with modified Gen 3 trigger bar)
    o Titanium Nitride Shell Extractor
    o Titanium Nitride Safety Plunger
    o Titanium Nitride Slide Back Cover
    o Competition Trigger Spring Kit
    o Polished Connecter
    o Titanium Nitride Tear Drop Extended Magazine Release
    o Titanium Nitride Extended Takedown Lock
    o Double Diamond Stainless Guide Rod w/ 17lbs Spring
    o Double Diamond Guide Rod Adaptor for Glock Gen 4
    o Falcon Rubber Grips

6CDqPvf.jpg

Image at the link below, I am not smart enough to get the image function to work (nor do I have social media)
    https://ibb.co/TH4CNKj

In the end, I thought the fight was going to be closer than it was. From stock, the H&K was superior in ever way, ergonomics, aesthetics, accuracy (even with the longer slide, sight orientation and barrel of the G35), trigger operations, mag release and takedown.

I shot 300 rounds (150 each) at 7yds and 17yds with Winchester 115 grain. I only loaded mags to 10 each to keep everything fair.

Now the tables are turned, the alpha wolf barrel is really accurate (about .5” radius at 7yds and about 4” radius at 17yds versus the H&K with about 1” radius at 7yds and about 6” at 17yds). The ergonomics are split between the 2, I still like the shape of the H&K grip but the TTI mag release coupled with the falcon grips are unbelievably comfortable in both 1 handed and 2 handed shooting (it fits my shooting hand nearly perfect). The trigger on the H&K is still more crisp and I would estimate at 5lbs or just a touch over. The re-worked and highly polished trigger of the Glock is 100 time better, it still has some creep and is almost equal to the H&K on the post shot resets (the noticeable d3ifference being the first pull) however the Glock trigger is much lighter, right around 3-3.3lbs. Recovery is faster on the Glock with it almost immediately being back on target. Reloads are also much faster with the TTI Magwell (duh). The loading is better on the Glock Mags over the H&K due to no sharp edges (I always load with fingers versus a speed loader). Takedown on each gun, I would still give advantage to the H&K but the Glock is much easier to take down with the extension. Aesthetically I still like the VP9 over the Glock although the Glock looks much better than stock. That may change when I get the G35 slide milled (waiting for my G21 slide to return before I send the G35 slide).

Glock won by a land slide.

A couple notes here, shooting was done by me, un-propped in the standing position (Your accuracy may differ). The HiViz sights on the Glock were easier to see in the lightening at Fred’s shooting range in Waldorf. This is an early year H&K that I probably have 7000-10,000 rounds through, the trigger is not as good as my much newer VP40 Tactical (VP40 Tactical trigger is 1911 crisp and slightly lighter pull, I am not sure if that is due to evolution of the platform or VP to VP Tactical difference). Larger magazines, extensions and assemblies all took part at my family’s home in VA. Beach.

Shout out for great service, the owner of Serpico is magic, it took us 2 weeks and him sending a different trigger along with a modified Gen 3 trigger bar (all free) to get the trigger to work in my platform. He stuck it through to the end, made sure I was happy and it is far superior to the Pyramid Complete trigger group I have in my G21. I like the G35 so much I bought a second one and it will run a Serpico trigger.

If this was good stuff to you, let me know. I ran the same comparison against my heavily modified G21 versus my Kimber Eclipse Target ii. I am also awaiting my 7 day wait on the second G35 I bought with will be similarly modified to the G35 in this post and will run that against my VP40 Tactical.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the lengthy post. I'm not in the market for either gun, but love reading first person reviews from enthusiasts, as many do here.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Awesome post. I shoot my VP9 better than anything else. Easily hitting clay targets that I put up around 30yds and reliably hit 6 inch steel plate at 50yds.

The only thing that bugs me (prob in my head) about the VP9 is the trigger return spring. It’s basically a braided cable that doesn’t look all that robust. I know HK tests the crap out of their guns so I don’t worry much about it, but for some reason I just can’t get past the simplicity and serviceability of the Glock platform.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not an apples to apples comparison but informative.

I had a VP9 and own a G17, both bone stock. The VP9 was a good pistol and so is the Glock but neither set my world on fire. I greatly prefer the VP9’s ergonomics over the Glock’s, nibble versus blocky and chunky. Comparing the two pistols fire control mechanisms the HK’s is definitely more complex and years down the road there seem to be areas of it which could possibly be problematic. Glock’s is much simpler and seems more durable.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Great post, although I do not think comparing a $600 stock gun to a $1200 G35, basically a competition gun, is really fair. Any production gun vs competition gun, the competition gun will win hands down.

The real question is whether for the extra $600 the features are worth it. I have to say, I have shot and fondled an HKVP9, one that has been through a lot of abuse (a rental) and it has a fantastic trigger and ergonomics and seems to hold up quite well. Also, I was able to shoot tiny little holes, something I cannot do with a Glock (ergonomics, I think). I see why so many people have a cult like attachment to it, its well deserved. I am not going to buy it only because its already too hard for me to keep the magazines for my different guns straight. :lol2:

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Great post, although I do not think comparing a $600 stock gun to a $1200 G35, basically a competition gun, is really fair. Any production gun vs competition gun, the competition gun will win hands down.

The real question is whether for the extra $600 the features are worth it. I have to say, I have shot and fondled an HKVP9, one that has been through a lot of abuse (a rental) and it has a fantastic trigger and ergonomics and seems to hold up quite well. Also, I was able to shoot tiny little holes, something I cannot do with a Glock (ergonomics, I think). I see why so many people have a cult like attachment to it, its well deserved. I am not going to buy it only because its already too hard for me to keep the magazines for my different guns straight. :lol2:

You're right, it's not apple's to apple's. Plus I pointed out in the beginning, stock for stock, the winner had been documented by multiple reviews. I knew that going in and wanted to do this cause I hadn't seen a similar comparison. Plus I have that much faith in my vp9, I thought it would be closer. I will say this though, I think a vp9 and a g34 or g35 with a 9mm conversion barrel with falcon grips and a competition spring kit would be a good comparison and they would both be in the same cost neighborhood (I know glock claims 4.5lbs trigger pull on their g34/35 but it isn't).

On the magazine issue...... I had the same issue, I've got 6 1911s, 3 glocks, 2 VP's (to name a few) of all different calibers and started bringing the wrong mags to the range with me....

My solution was a white sharpie.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Not an apples to apples comparison but informative.

I had a VP9 and own a G17, both bone stock. The VP9 was a good pistol and so is the Glock but neither set my world on fire. I greatly prefer the VP9’s ergonomics over the Glock’s, nibble versus blocky and chunky. Comparing the two pistols fire control mechanisms the HK’s is definitely more complex and years down the road there seem to be areas of it which could possibly be problematic. Glock’s is much simpler and seems more durable.

Every gun sets my world on fire lol. I don't even like glock... but my wife was going to buy me the John Wick gun package from Taran Tactical, i told her not to, i would build my version of it. That's how i got where i am (except I haven't had the slide milled or the barrels TiNI yet).

Ya, right on the H&K complexity. Like I mentioned my vp9 is first year i think? And a lot of rounds through it. It has formed a light hitch in the pull.

I want to get in there and polish it but am a bit intimidated by the complexity.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the great post!

I have a Glock 19 with the Zev-Tech fulcrum trigger, a polished 3.5# connector and 8# NY-1 trigger spring. My VP9 has a Lobos trigger, and I polished the contact points. I like the VP9 more, but certainly didn’t do as much as you did. Might look at some of those other upgrades.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice effort and a good read. You need to find a photo hosting site that provides a link for posting pics on BB Code boards, like this one. I use Imgur but there's many out there. When you post a pic, the site will provide a series of links to share it online:

pEE5QCL.jpg

The link that works here is BBCode but, I say shop-around. Imgur use to include a basic editor that allowed users to adjust contrast, brightness, color-temp, sharpness + insert text. They did-away with it about a year ago because it was sucking-up too much bandwidth(?) and slowing their site down. Now, all you can do is resize your image on Imgur.

Otherwise, thank God someone took the time to compose a range report even if it wasn't exactly an apple-to-apple comparison. It's a nice break from all the politics and angry-old-man BS permeating MDS lately. :rolleyes:

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks for the great post!

I have a Glock 19 with the Zev-Tech fulcrum trigger, a polished 3.5# connector and 8# NY-1 trigger spring. My VP9 has a Lobos trigger, and I polished the contact points. I like the VP9 more, but certainly didn’t do as much as you did. Might look at some of those other upgrades.

Ya, so good points. I am thinking about buying another vp9, tricking it out and then comparing. Logos trigger is definitely on my radar!

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Otherwise, thank God someone took the time to compose a range report even if it wasn't exactly an apple-to-apple comparison. It's a nice break from all the politics and angry-old-man BS permeating MDS lately. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the image tip, I will do that.

On the quote, spot on. I want to talk "gats" when i am at mdshooters, even talk the fun kind of trash, read fixes from the experts and see non biased regular shooter reviews...

All the other crap, I'm inundated with on my news feed, and pretty good on without the blow by blow analysis.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Hell yes! The OP is a quick study! :party29:

:thumbsup::bowdown:

P.S. for anyone that is military or retired and suffering the Walmart handgun ammo loss, the Joint Base Andrews exchange is selling Magtech at about the same price Walmart was selling Winchester. Maybe cheaper than Walmart as it is tax free.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Sweet pic.

That Glock is hot.

Thanks brother! It will get mo-better when my Glock 21 slide gets back from milling, then I will send that one in and put a vortex RMR on it.

I just wanted to make sure I did the comparison before I did the slide milling/red dot melt. One I get the slide melt, it will only receive a red dot and not a iron sight.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Good review even if it's for two guns that other than caliber are on the opposite ends of the use spectrum. Maybe for your next one you can put a Beretta Bobcat up against a Ruger MK IV.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Good review even if it's for two guns that other than caliber are on the opposite ends of the use spectrum. Maybe for your next one you can put a Beretta Bobcat up against a Ruger MK IV.

The hang up has to be barrel / slide length right? cause other than that they are really close, lower dimensions, throw, polymer, striker fired, european, semi auto. They are only both 9mm because the g35 runs a conversion barrel.

Well, if it's about barrel length, I can assure you I got the same result with a glock 21 (shorter) set up the same way and my $1500 kimber eclipse custom and my modified kimber stainless

If that's not good cause it's polymer versus metal frame.

Same result with G21 versus VP40 tactical.

That may be bad because it's 45 versus 40 but im running out of comparisons because im not a huge striker fire fan.

Might just be the magic alpha wolf barrels.... they've been perfect in every application I run them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom