• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I plunked down some money on an LE/Military Gen4 Glock 17 at the Cop Shop last weekend. Now I'm waiting for it to come in and wondering if I should take them up on their offer to install night sights for $94. Not sure on the brand, but I'd guess they'd be from Glock.

I'm going to be using this gun as a jack-of-all-trades workhorse (HD, plinking, target shooting, SHTF sidearm, and possibly CCW if I move or MD goes shall issue).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    YES.

That said, I'd call Dan and ask him his price to buy and install them. Price seems a little high.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Night Sights are cool if you are into that aspect of it.

just my .02, but if you plan to actually fire the gun in darkness or semi darkness, they can actually be a benefit. get sites with one color tube in the front sight and a different color in the rear tubes. In light conditions they function much like white dot sights with which you are likely already familiar.

94 bucks ain't horrible for good quality equipment installed (Glocks are VERY easy as guns go and usually require minimal fitting on the rear sight to fit the dovetail when I've done them). I usually use Trijicon, more out of habit and familiarity than any scientific study, just FWIW.

I first started with night sights on glocks because they were the easiest to find metal sights with large profiles. Inertia just sorta kept rolling.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    From the cop shop, they'll most likely be trijicons. You can ask for something else if you want a certain brand and see if they have it. They charge the same.

BTW, becareful with gun cleaner around your front site. Trijicons are not sealed, and the cleaner will take the white paint right off.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I plunked down some money on an LE/Military Gen4 Glock 17 at the Cop Shop last weekend. Now I'm waiting for it to come in and wondering if I should take them up on their offer to install night sights for $94. Not sure on the brand, but I'd guess they'd be from Glock.

I'm going to be using this gun as a jack-of-all-trades workhorse (HD, plinking, target shooting, SHTF sidearm, and possibly CCW if I move or MD goes shall issue).

When were you in there? I picked up my new 26 there last Sat morning. Sam seems like a pretty cool guy. He gave my son a neat challenge coin. I would recommend night sights if your 17 it is going to be a carry gun or HD weapon. $94 installed isn't bad. I think I paid a little less than that for my factory night sights installed on my Glock 19. Hope you enjoy your new toy. My first Glock was a 17 back in the early 90's.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    If you get your sights from The Cop Shop, make sure you watch them open the package. I had a sdet put on my 23 while I waited and they tried using a set out of a drawer that were not packaged. That told me they were used!! Just watch what is done. And yes, they were Trijicons.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    TruGlos fibre optic tritium night sights for about $74 on Amazon, so $94 is not bad however the Trijicons will wear off over time and not work in the dark anymore. As for regular day sights they are pretty much just like the standard Glock sights.

I like the fibre optics better, just personal prefernce:

318UnJvTRpL._SS400_.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My service G22 had a set of trijicons for 9+ years. They were still in good shape when they were swapped out for new set.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    $94 does sound $high. Solid choice on the gun. But, while probably in the minority, I'd take a light over night sights because I can't see in the dark. Those glowy dots with a lot of nothing clear behind them... not so awesome.

Only if you want to see your sights in the dark.

$94 is about right if they are Trijicon or meprolight. THese are the 2 best in my opinion. I prefer mepro as they they seem to me to have bigger dots.

The most overlooked modification on a handgun is good sights. You cant hit your target if you cant see your sights.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Night sights are good for low light situations but don't glow in day time which is why a lot of competition guys use fiber sights. If it's a competition only gun go with fiber optic sights. Someone was making combination fiber and tritium but I don't remember who.

My new Glock 17 has a set of Warren Tacticals with a plain black rear and tritum front sight which I prefer because I find 3 dots at night somewhat distracting.

There is a good explanation here:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/lowlight6.htm

Regardless of what you choose, there are two things you should remember;
    1) You should still carry a flashlight or have one mounted on the rail for target identification.
    2) You should get replacement sights for that Glock ASAP as the stock glock sights are horrible.

Unit3960

Feb 11, 2011
    Harford Co. MD
    I have night sights on my Glock 27 which I bought from Sam. Hell, I've bought all my Glocks from Sam and although he can be here and there with prices, I know he is there if I need him. I've had my 27 for a few years and the night sights are still bright. I have them on all my Glocks.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would rather go with a tru-glo TFO or Meprolights. Trijicon and Glock nite sights are not as bright compared to the first two.

That price should be about right for installed trijicons.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    DON'T GET FACTORY GLOCK NIGHT SIGHTS, they are stick on.

Get the trijicon's. :)

What do you mean stick on?

I have a set of factory night sights on my G26 and I can't tell the difference between them and Meprolights... I'd be willing to say they are the same. (from what I've heard there seems to be some guessing whether they are Meps or Trijicons)

Maybe in the past they were different, but the current Glock night sights are just another brand installed by Glock at the factory.

dsc00004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom